Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 712

Thread: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains why

  1. #631
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    It's not even just that, although you're right with regards to some people. It also has to do with the idea of fairness (this article is quite good: Obama, Romney and the War to Define Fairness, Moral Vision of America | TIME.com) and Nietzsche's idea of 'slave morality'. Some people just always root for the underdog, while other people appreciate that that adds excitement to sporting events and movies, but is incredibly impractical in real life. You're just always gonna root for the weaker party until....it becomes the stronger party, and then switch sides again? WTF? No, just apply standards consistently across the board, regardless of race, income, strength, whatever.
    Life is not always fair, a trite but true cliche.

    Success is not a White thing, it is a work thing when people enjoy the benefits of their work.

    Not all White people are well off, nor are all Blacks or Asians poor.

    What really changed the world was not the color of a persons skin but their religion, particularly the Protestant work ethic. In Europe, for centuries, Protestants did better than Catholics and, like many other less successful groups, the Catholics claimed prejudice. That was probably true but quite likely because they didn't share the same values embraced in the Protestant work ethic. Latin America is a good example of this.

    No doubt, especially in the case of Blacks, there were ugly prejudices but any group embracing this ethic, though not necessarily the religion. will tend to do better.

    At one time this was taught in schools and it should be once again.

    The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  2. #632
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    It's not even just that, although you're right with regards to some people. It also has to do with the idea of fairness (this article is quite good: Obama, Romney and the War to Define Fairness, Moral Vision of America | TIME.com) and Nietzsche's idea of 'slave morality'. Some people just always root for the underdog, while other people appreciate that that adds excitement to sporting events and movies, but is incredibly impractical in real life. You're just always gonna root for the weaker party until....it becomes the stronger party, and then switch sides again? WTF? No, just apply standards consistently across the board, regardless of race, income, strength, whatever.
    Thanks for the article, btw. It was very interesting.

  3. #633
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    You should read about the beautiful life the whites had in south africa after apartheid ended. And still do. Thousands of muders, rapes and illegal taking of lands by the government. Ah, those are yearly.
    Is it anything like the beautiful life blacks had in SA, since colonial times? Up until what? the 80's or 90's? Not that this excuses the horrors going on today, but it does add much needed perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #634
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Is it anything like the beautiful life blacks had in SA, since colonial times? Up until what? the 80's or 90's? Not that this excuses the horrors going on today, but it does add much needed perspective.
    Perhaps it does indeed offer a broad context. But didn't we have this discussion before? About what happens when people have no rights, and thus, there is nothing to legally break by abusing those people... and when people DO have rights and how breaking them it is illegal and condemnable... yet nobody is condemned or prosecuted. And how the latter is worse than the former because it means that the majority of the people there, who empower the government, decided, basically, to do a form of genocide?

  5. #635
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Perhaps it does indeed offer a broad context. But didn't we have this discussion before? About what happens when people have no rights, and thus, there is nothing to legally break by abusing those people... and when people DO have rights and how breaking them it is illegal and condemnable... yet nobody is condemned or prosecuted. And how the latter is worse than the former because it means that the majority of the people there, who empower the government, decided, basically, to do a form of genocide?
    Yes we did and your opinion as I recall was just that. Unjust is unjust no matter if it is legal or not. I know a few Jewish folks who were persicuted in Germany. Most of the people involved or considered resposible were imprisoned and hung even though it was perfectly legal. What does this tell us?

    You can't use the law to somehow justify hundreds of years worth of oppresion and injustice.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 12-31-12 at 05:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #636
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes we did and your opinion as I recall was just that. Unjust is unjust no matter if it is legal or not. I know a few Jewish folks who were persicuted in Germany. Most of the people involved or considered resposible were imprisoned and hung even though it was perfectly legal. What does this tell us?

    You can't use the law to somehow justify hundreds of years worth of oppresion and injustice.
    I'm not justifying anything what so ever.

    I do however perceive that the only way in which "all men are equal" notion works is in the face of the law. And yes, in the US, up until 150 years ago slaves were considered unequal. But that is because they were slaves. Black people were slave owners too. There were very large slave owners of blacks who they themselves were black.

    But that was the case all OVER the world until European colonial powers abolished slavery in all their colonies in the beginning of the XIXth century. In India, since the dawn of time, there was a caste system. It is not a British invention. Only the structure of the caste system changed. Hindu religion in fact is the creator of the caste system. SO there was always inequality there. In Africa, you had slavery for milleniums before the European colonial powers and had it even after in certain parts where European nations had little or no influence. In Asia, china was a slave state until the nationalist revolution in the beginning of the XXth century. Japan was a slave state until the Meiji revolution which only happened because of western influences.

    Slavery and inequality in the face of the law was, and still is, the default status in the world. It is because of powerful nations who promoted the idea of equality in the face of the law that this sort of thing is rare in the world. This may give us the impression that it is how the world is by default, but it isn't.

    And this is why it is upsetting in South Africa. Because although it is a nation who is part of the Commonwealth, although it is a nation who aspires to westernization and prosperity, it is a nation who actively opposes offering equal rights to all its citizen and equal protection under the law. It seems to be a cycle. Sure, 30years ago, until Apartheid ended, it was a white minority denying those things to a black majority. Note, that the africans there weren't slaves. They were just second class citizens. If you were white, and you killed a black man, you would get prosecuted. You may not get sentenced all that often, but you did suffer penality in the face of the law because murder was illegal. But now, there are thousands of crimes happening against whites, who are same class of citizens as the blacks in South Africa, and NOBODY is even bothered to prosecute those blacks who do the crimes.

    That is the only point I'm making.

  7. #637
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    I'm not justifying anything what so ever.

    I do however perceive that the only way in which "all men are equal" notion works is in the face of the law. And yes, in the US, up until 150 years ago slaves were considered unequal. But that is because they were slaves. Black people were slave owners too. There were very large slave owners of blacks who they themselves were black.

    But that was the case all OVER the world until European colonial powers abolished slavery in all their colonies in the beginning of the XIXth century. In India, since the dawn of time, there was a caste system. It is not a British invention. Only the structure of the caste system changed. Hindu religion in fact is the creator of the caste system. SO there was always inequality there. In Africa, you had slavery for milleniums before the European colonial powers and had it even after in certain parts where European nations had little or no influence. In Asia, china was a slave state until the nationalist revolution in the beginning of the XXth century. Japan was a slave state until the Meiji revolution which only happened because of western influences.

    Slavery and inequality in the face of the law was, and still is, the default status in the world. It is because of powerful nations who promoted the idea of equality in the face of the law that this sort of thing is rare in the world. This may give us the impression that it is how the world is by default, but it isn't.

    And this is why it is upsetting in South Africa. Because although it is a nation who is part of the Commonwealth, although it is a nation who aspires to westernization and prosperity, it is a nation who actively opposes offering equal rights to all its citizen and equal protection under the law. It seems to be a cycle. Sure, 30years ago, until Apartheid ended, it was a white minority denying those things to a black majority. Note, that the africans there weren't slaves. They were just second class citizens. If you were white, and you killed a black man, you would get prosecuted. You may not get sentenced all that often, but you did suffer penality in the face of the law because murder was illegal. But now, there are thousands of crimes happening against whites, who are same class of citizens as the blacks in South Africa, and NOBODY is even bothered to prosecute those blacks who do the crimes.

    That is the only point I'm making.
    I see your point, but it just does not matter. Most people find it hard to cry for people who let this system exist for far to long. I mean it only ended after sanctions etc from most of the world helped end it. How many men women and children died directly as a result of the minoritys unequal system?

    Again kind of hard to get upset when seen for what it was.

    Have no idea what being a slave had to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #638
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I see your point, but it just does not matter. Most people find it hard to cry for people who let this system exist for far to long. I mean it only ended after sanctions etc from most of the world helped end it. How many men women and children died directly as a result of the minoritys unequal system?

    Again kind of hard to get upset when seen for what it was.

    Have no idea what being a slave had to do with it.
    ok.

    Since I don't have much to say which has already been covered in that previous discussion... i think... I don't see the point of reigniting it.
    It will be the same old same old. I guess you just come from a different when discussing this and aren't willing to answer the question based on principles of governing... but rather from a place of payback.

  9. #639
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    ok.

    Since I don't have much to say which has already been covered in that previous discussion... i think... I don't see the point of reigniting it.
    It will be the same old same old. I guess you just come from a different when discussing this and aren't willing to answer the question based on principles of governing... but rather from a place of payback.
    like I said injustice is injustice backed by law or not. I mean does it make any sense to discuss what happened to the Jews in Germany? Even though it did not "legally break anything by abusing the people."

    I also mentioned it does not excuse what is happening in any way. This goes for what happened to the black Africans as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #640
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    like I said injustice is injustice backed by law or not. I mean does it make any sense to discuss what happened to the Jews in Germany? Even though it did not "legally break anything by abusing the people."

    I also mentioned it does not excuse what is happening in any way. This goes for what happened to the black Africans as well.
    The jews in germany were in the same boat as whites in south africa are today. Ofc, back then, the german people were under a totalitarian regime too... and had to give up rights too, but today, the blacks in south africa are not under a totalitarian regime but under a democratic republic and live in a free state.

Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •