Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 712

Thread: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains why

  1. #551
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,855

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman
    It did not directly, my great grandparents were moonshiners during prohitbition, no effect.
    I'm not sure what effect the moonshiner comment is supposed to have, but:

    1) Do you live in the United States, rather than in a British Colony?

    2) Do you live in a country that guarantees freedom of speech, religion, assembly, press, and the right to bear arms, by constitutional ammendment?

    3) Do you live in a wealthy country, that is partly wealthy because it emerged from WWII as a superpower?

    If you live in the U.s., you are affected by the American Revolutionary war, even though you did not directly experience it. The above questions are just the bare basics. Surely you can think of many thousands of ways your life would likely be rather different if the Revolutionary war had never happened...

  2. #552
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,855

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    Most people? I don't think so.
    Well, perhaps due to lack of backbone...but then again, they'd hardly be leaders then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    What injustice would that be? There certainly wasn't injustice in the shooting of Timothy Thomas yet the reactions were calls for total anarchy, violence, and millions of dollars in damage to the city of Cincinnati.
    That there is one instance, or there are several instances, of justified use of force against black people that are perceived incorrectly doesn't address the point. It certainly doesn't mean there is no injustice against black people. I've posted already some links demonstrating as much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    I've heard enough from Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to know its true.
    Again, this seems just to be an opinion. Can you actually point to some studies of the content of the public proclamations of those individuals that supports your view?

    [quote=Napoleon]

    That riots happen isn't the point. Show me some black community leaders who actually called for these riots. You said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    The most prominent leaders in the black community LOVE stirring the pot. Their mantra is that you didn't get that job, you are poor, or you were arrested not because you didn't graduate from high school, take responsibility for your life, or commit a crime but because ol' racist whitey is at it again. And then there's a distorted earful of life for blacks 200 years ago and calls for a riot.
    To which I responded:

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal
    No doubt for every call for a riot that an African American leader makes, we could find a call for mass murder, assassinations, or other such by white supremacist groups. I don't see an army of angry white people killing blacks en masse, but I also don't see a bunch of black people rioting. I'll leave the point delicately unstated.
    Apparently I should have stated the point. Riots happen. So do assassinations of black leaders, murders or assaults of black people by white supremacist groups, and so on. However, our general experience isn't characterized by either. And more importantly, black leaders aren't calling for riots at any greater rate than white supremacists are calling for violence against blacks--and the black leaders who do call for riots are usually as marginalized as white supremacists are in white communities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    What ongoing injustice would that be?
    1) Economic inequality, almost surely a result of unconsciously biased hiring decisions.

    2) Lack of access to equal education.

    3) Dispropotionate incarceration of black people.

    4) Health care inequality, leading to higher rates of mortality in black people.

  3. #553
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    1) Economic inequality, almost surely a result of unconsciously biased hiring decisions.

    2) Lack of access to equal education.

    3) Dispropotionate incarceration of black people.

    4) Health care inequality, leading to higher rates of mortality in black people.
    How are any of those injustices? Perhaps I just don't accept how you are using the word, but it would seem to me people have a right to hire who they want, access to education is largely up to the people involved and where they live or decide to place their children, incarceration rates have to do with crime rates, and healthcare access mostly deals with the people in play and nothing to do with race. Am I missing something?

  4. #554
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,482

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Well, perhaps due to lack of backbone...but then again, they'd hardly be leaders then.
    It takes more backbone to take ownership of your own failings than to fabricate a lie about racial considerations.


    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    1) Economic inequality, almost surely a result of unconsciously biased hiring decisions.
    Actually, the result of a disregard for education. Blacks are more likely to drop out of high school and less likely to pursue a higher education and will therefore earn less.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    2) Lack of access to equal education.
    Really? Where? Affirmative Action solved that problem and you're entitled to the education you earn.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    3) Dispropotionate incarceration of black people.
    Because they commit more crimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    4) Health care inequality, leading to higher rates of mortality in black people.
    There is no racially motivated healthcare inequality. All of these things boil down to education.

  5. #555
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    You seem to have a habit of straw-manning me, which is usually characteristic of someone who knows they really cannot argue their position.

    I did not say anything remotely like what you've said. Nor is what you said a consequence of my position.



    No, you would not, according to my logic. If, however, 100 years ago, you and most of the members of whatever ethnic group to which you belong were enslaved, killed young, torn away from loved ones, treated with incredible brutality, etc. and then after being "freed," your people were discriminated against for decades, and kept from having the same opportunities as the people who had previously enslaved you, then you would be justified.

    Unless you think that stealing a horse is morally equivalent to mass kidnapping, murder, genocide, and torture...

    keep on flailing dude. however you try to spin it...your position is that blacks are not responsible for anything and are justified in being racist due to the actions of people decades, if not centuries ago (most of whom are long dead).

    as long as blacks keep living in the past and blaming dead people for their troubles of today...they will continue to be on the lower end of the socioeconimic ladder.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #556
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    I'm not sure what effect the moonshiner comment is supposed to have, but:

    1) Do you live in the United States, rather than in a British Colony?

    2) Do you live in a country that guarantees freedom of speech, religion, assembly, press, and the right to bear arms, by constitutional ammendment?

    3) Do you live in a wealthy country, that is partly wealthy because it emerged from WWII as a superpower?

    If you live in the U.s., you are affected by the American Revolutionary war, even though you did not directly experience it. The above questions are just the bare basics. Surely you can think of many thousands of ways your life would likely be rather different if the Revolutionary war had never happened...
    It means just because my ancestors were moonshiners during prohibition does not mean I am one to break the law selling drugs or some other illegal substance.

    Now follow along, because I think you are somewhat slow.

    Just because black ancestors were slaves does not mean blacks today are incapable of finding success in life or even hindered while trying.

  7. #557
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,855

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman
    It means just because my ancestors were moonshiners during prohibition does not mean I am one to break the law selling drugs or some other illegal substance.
    OK, I still don't get the relevance. The question was whether the American Revolutionary War affects you, even though you did not directly experience it. You and your erstwhile compatriots had been arguing that what happens in the past doesn't directly affect those who don't experience it. So...what is the point of the moonshine example?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman
    Just because black ancestors were slaves does not mean blacks today are incapable of finding success in life or even hindered while trying.
    I never said that individual African Americans cannot find success. Obviously, they can. This does not mean that they experience the same levels of success that white Americans do.

  8. #558
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,855

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63
    however you try to spin it...your position is that blacks are not responsible for anything and are justified in being racist due to the actions of people decades, if not centuries ago (most of whom are long dead).
    Demonstrate, by syllogism, that these are consequences of anything I've written in this thread. I do believe that African Americans are not completely responsible for their situation generally. I believe they are justified in expressing the attitudes expressed by Jamie Foxx...which don't seem quite like racism to me. Or at least, it seems more subtle than that.

  9. #559
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    thanks for confirming everything I said in my post....outside of the "natural power" to move about...blacks are powerless victims of the evil white society
    Life is really going to suck when we whites become the minority.

  10. #560
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    OK, I still don't get the relevance. The question was whether the American Revolutionary War affects you, even though you did not directly experience it. You and your erstwhile compatriots had been arguing that what happens in the past doesn't directly affect those who don't experience it. So...what is the point of the moonshine example?



    I never said that individual African Americans cannot find success. Obviously, they can. This does not mean that they experience the same levels of success that white Americans do.
    And they should because why, have they been here as long?

Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •