Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 712

Thread: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains why

  1. #541
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,855

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    Now lets examine why that is.
    Ok, lets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    The most prominent leaders in the black community LOVE stirring the pot.
    Well, I suspect this is just what most people would do in their situation. And rightly so. If you see injustice, the proper reaction is not to acquiesce in leaving things as they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    Their mantra is that you didn't get that job, you are poor, or you were arrested not because you didn't graduate from high school, take responsibility for your life, or commit a crime but because ol' racist whitey is at it again.
    I don't have that impression. This seems to be an opinion. Oh, I imagine you can find someone who's said something like this. Saying this is characteristic of what black leaders say, however, is going to be a much tougher point to establish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    And then there's a distorted earful of life for blacks 200 years ago and calls for a riot.
    No doubt for every call for a riot that an African American leader makes, we could find a call for mass murder, assassinations, or other such by white supremacist groups. I don't see an army of angry white people killing blacks en masse, but I also don't see a bunch of black people rioting. I'll leave the point delicately unstated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    We don't hear many leaders in the black community mention that only 1% of whites were actually slave holders, that the largest slave holder in Louissianna was actually a black woman, or that the first self-made millionairess was a black woman.
    Whether those are true or not, why are they relevant? Most African Americans today have ancestors who were slaves. At least as importantly, the social and economic status of African Americans today is greatly affected by slavery and Jim Crow laws. All of what you say can be true, and mean absolutely nothing to that analysis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    Instead, its a bunch of bull saying that you aren't responsible for the state of your life
    People who think they are entirely responsible for the state of their lives seem to have an overblown sense of human power, and a staggering ignorance of history and the reasons for civilization.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    and you'll never get a fair shot because everyone is racist and those successful black men and women are race traitors.
    Your entire rant here seems to be nothing more than a straw man. Racism continues to exist, and it has direct power in the day-to-day interactions between people of different races. And this is surely part fo the problem. The other part of the problem is that accumulated acts of racism have led to serious disadvantage for African Americans generally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    The disadvantages experienced by the black community in modern society are of their own making not the result of anything the white man has done to them.
    To believe this, one would have to believe that history has no effect on the present, or so it seems to me. I don't think anyone who fully grasps what has been done to African Americans could believe that the effects of those happenings are entirely settled out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    Black Americans have been offered every advantage we can provide
    Not really. They've been offered the advantages we are willing to provide. Not the ones we have been capable of offering, or any that could redress the injustice done to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon
    and its not our fault that many choose to sell crack on street corners instead of graduating from high school and/or going to college.
    Well...I don't know that we're in a position to analyze fault just yet. But again, I'm not sure why this is important. It's not my fault (or yours, I assume) that human beings are mortal. That doesn't mean we shouldn't, or don't, respect that fact and make allowances for it, both small and large, from our day-to-day lives to our grandest political institutions.

  2. #542
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Ok, lets.



    Well, I suspect this is just what most people would do in their situation. And rightly so. If you see injustice, the proper reaction is not to acquiesce in leaving things as they are.



    I don't have that impression. This seems to be an opinion. Oh, I imagine you can find someone who's said something like this. Saying this is characteristic of what black leaders say, however, is going to be a much tougher point to establish.



    No doubt for every call for a riot that an African American leader makes, we could find a call for mass murder, assassinations, or other such by white supremacist groups. I don't see an army of angry white people killing blacks en masse, but I also don't see a bunch of black people rioting. I'll leave the point delicately unstated.



    Whether those are true or not, why are they relevant? Most African Americans today have ancestors who were slaves. At least as importantly, the social and economic status of African Americans today is greatly affected by slavery and Jim Crow laws. All of what you say can be true, and mean absolutely nothing to that analysis.



    People who think they are entirely responsible for the state of their lives seem to have an overblown sense of human power, and a staggering ignorance of history and the reasons for civilization.



    Your entire rant here seems to be nothing more than a straw man. Racism continues to exist, and it has direct power in the day-to-day interactions between people of different races. And this is surely part fo the problem. The other part of the problem is that accumulated acts of racism have led to serious disadvantage for African Americans generally.



    To believe this, one would have to believe that history has no effect on the present, or so it seems to me. I don't think anyone who fully grasps what has been done to African Americans could believe that the effects of those happenings are entirely settled out.



    Not really. They've been offered the advantages we are willing to provide. Not the ones we have been capable of offering, or any that could redress the injustice done to them.



    Well...I don't know that we're in a position to analyze fault just yet. But again, I'm not sure why this is important. It's not my fault (or yours, I assume) that human beings are mortal. That doesn't mean we shouldn't, or don't, respect that fact and make allowances for it, both small and large, from our day-to-day lives to our grandest political institutions.

    poor poor black people, the system is rigged against them, history is against them, nothing is their fault, they don't stand a chance. hell, if I was black I'd just give up and kill myself...since the whole situation is beyond my control
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #543
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,855

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63
    poor poor black people, they system is rigged against them, history is against them, nothing is their fault, they don't stand a chance. hell, if I was black I'd just give up and kill myself...since the whole situation is beyond my control
    One can lack some control, but not lack every kind or level of control. If you actually want to think about these issues, try not taking everything automatically to an extreme, and only do so when there's a clear reason for it. I have never said that black people in this country lack all power and control. They have at least the natural power any human being has to move around, talk to people, form associations, and so on.

    So far, those powers are not enough to redress the opposing power, which is based in history and is responsible for ongoing injustice.

  4. #544
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,478

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Ok, lets.


    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Well, I suspect this is just what most people would do in their situation.
    Most people? I don't think so.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    And rightly so. If you see injustice, the proper reaction is not to acquiesce in leaving things as they are.
    What injustice would that be? There certainly wasn't injustice in the shooting of Timothy Thomas yet the reactions were calls for total anarchy, violence, and millions of dollars in damage to the city of Cincinnati.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Saying this is characteristic of what black leaders say, however, is going to be a much tougher point to establish.
    I've heard enough from Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to know its true.

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    No doubt for every call for a riot that an African American leader makes, we could find a call for mass murder, assassinations, or other such by white supremacist groups. I don't see an army of angry white people killing blacks en masse, but I also don't see a bunch of black people rioting. I'll leave the point delicately unstated.
    Crown Heights Riots of '91, LA Riots of '92, St. Petersburg Riots of '96, Cincinnati Riots of 2001, Benton Harbor Riots of 2006, Oakland riots of 2009. Ring any bells?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    So far, those powers are not enough to redress the opposing power, which is based in history and is responsible for ongoing injustice.
    What ongoing injustice would that be?

  5. #545
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    One can lack some control, but not lack every kind or level of control. If you actually want to think about these issues, try not taking everything automatically to an extreme, and only do so when there's a clear reason for it. I have never said that black people in this country lack all power and control. They have at least the natural power any human being has to move around, talk to people, form associations, and so on.

    So far, those powers are not enough to redress the opposing power, which is based in history and is responsible for ongoing injustice.

    thanks for confirming everything I said in my post....outside of the "natural power" to move about...blacks are powerless victims of the evil white society
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #546
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    100 years ago, a black man stole my great grandfather's horse. according to ashurbanipal's logic...I would be justified in distrusting and being resentful towards all black people
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #547
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I mean.... for ****s sake..... Morgan Freeman was G O D.
    What do you mean "was"?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #548
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    Events have consequences, which become the causes of yet other events in their turn.

    Did you experience the American Revolutionary War? Does the American Revolutionary War have an effect on your life?

    I'm pretty sure it's no to the former, and yes to the latter. And if that is so, especially given the weight of the history under discussion, why wouldn't it have a profound effect on our current situation?
    It did not directly, my great grandparents were moonshiners during prohitbition, no effect.

  9. #549
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    'As a black person it's always racial'
    As a person, it's never racial.

  10. #550
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,855

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63
    thanks for confirming everything I said in my post....outside of the "natural power" to move about...blacks are powerless victims of the evil white society
    You seem to have a habit of straw-manning me, which is usually characteristic of someone who knows they really cannot argue their position.

    I did not say anything remotely like what you've said. Nor is what you said a consequence of my position.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63
    100 years ago, a black man stole my great grandfather's horse. according to ashurbanipal's logic...I would be justified in distrusting and being resentful towards all black people
    No, you would not, according to my logic. If, however, 100 years ago, you and most of the members of whatever ethnic group to which you belong were enslaved, killed young, torn away from loved ones, treated with incredible brutality, etc. and then after being "freed," your people were discriminated against for decades, and kept from having the same opportunities as the people who had previously enslaved you, then you would be justified.

    Unless you think that stealing a horse is morally equivalent to mass kidnapping, murder, genocide, and torture...

Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •