Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 712

Thread: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains why

  1. #451
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    BTW....

    A more on topic comment dealing with the stereotype bull**** from the OP...


    Nobody has explained what the connection is with the Ritz crackers and cheese and black people and stereotypes........

    Must bet a new one....... in an ever increasing field of taboo subjects or items around black people.
    I took that to be a stereotype on Foxx's part about white people liking ritz crackers and cheese. ie, if they had known a brother was coming they would have had something besides crackers (no pun intended) and cheese
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #452
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I took that to be a stereotype on Foxx's part about white people liking ritz crackers and cheese. ie, if they had known a brother was coming they would have had something besides crackers (no pun intended) and cheese
    So, either way, his hypersensitive ass would be offended.

    There is no helping that mentality.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #453
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So, either way, his hypersensitive ass would be offended.

    There is no helping that mentality.
    exactly. those who are constantly looking for something to be offended by will find it...whether it really exists or not
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #454
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by American
    And there you have it. The leftwing hero is a bonafide modern day racist.
    I'm sure it's probably been said multiple times in this thread, but if any group of people goes through what African Americans have gone through, for as long as they have, I suspect it will (justly and rightfully) take several CENTURIES before they're able to no longer pay attention to issues of race. If white europeans had been forcibly kidnapped (removing them from their families) and sold as slaves in, say, east asia, whipped, tortured, put to work, and killed when they could no longer work the cotton fields for a few hundred years, I suspect quite a few white people living in China and Japan would (in such a hypothetical case) be a little PISSED OFF. And if that were followed up with several decades of illegal and immoral discrimination and de facto slavery, I imagine racism would be an indelible and inextricable part of the consciousness of white people in East Asia for a very, very long time. Frankly, my descriptions don't remotely touch all the elements of the African American experience, or the depth of the severity of those elements. Some people who maybe can relate, in this country, are American Indians and Jews who have some direct relation to the holocaust...

  5. #455
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    I'm sure it's probably been said multiple times in this thread, but if any group of people goes through what African Americans have gone through, for as long as they have, I suspect it will (justly and rightfully) take several CENTURIES before they're able to no longer pay attention to issues of race. If white europeans had been forcibly kidnapped (removing them from their families) and sold as slaves in, say, east asia, whipped, tortured, put to work, and killed when they could no longer work the cotton fields for a few hundred years, I suspect quite a few white people living in China and Japan would (in such a hypothetical case) be a little PISSED OFF. And if that were followed up with several decades of illegal and immoral discrimination and de facto slavery, I imagine racism would be an indelible and inextricable part of the consciousness of white people in East Asia for a very, very long time. Frankly, my descriptions don't remotely touch all the elements of the African American experience, or the depth of the severity of those elements. Some people who maybe can relate, in this country, are American Indians and Jews who have some direct relation to the holocaust...
    Get the heck over history!

    My grandfather served 30 years in the military and hated Japanese because of Pearl Harbor. Obviously, the past is past and we're on good terms with Japan now. In fact, I have more respect for your average Japanese citizen than your average American. I studied four years of Japanese as an undergrad, plus studied physics and taught math in Japan. Their culture puts ours to shame on some key values like respect and responsibility. Some results include Tokyo being perhaps the safest major city in the world and overall the healthiest nation in the world.

    One disappointment I have as a mathematician is the inability of the majority to recognize patterns or analyze cause/effect. Relating this to the OP, the more people dwell on the past and hold grudges, the less they will achieve. In particular, blacks dwell on the slavery many years ago and that's what's impeding their progress. Instead of turning a hatred for past suffering into excuses to want pity and reimbursement for pain and suffering, it should be redirected to motivate working for success.

    With regards to the food served, please read the quotes in my signature. Stereotypes are developed based on statistics, not necessarily explicitly counting but perhaps general observations. Food preference is unique to individuals. However, there are many factors, such as ethnicity or wealth, that can be conditioned on since the probability distribution of food preferences can differ noticeably when you partition with respect to these. Take some millionaires and college kids for example. You'll see an expected difference in the preferences between wine or beer and between cheese samples or cheese pizza. Obviously, if your goal is to satisfy your guests then you look to maximize the probability if doing so. Perhaps people should be appreciative rather than offended by someone making an effort to satisfying them.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  6. #456
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    If you hate me because of something someone else did to one of your ancestors....don't be shocked if I don't like you very much either.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #457
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician
    Get the heck over history!
    Why? You seem to have misunderstood my point. If, as you seem to point out below, there are historical patterns of cause and effect, it seems obvious that getting over hisotry is the last thing anyone should or (more to the point) could do. I don't think African Americans look to history and create a cause out of it in the way that, say, a Pictish reconstructionist would decide to hate people from Italy. I think African Americans are aware of history, of course. But history in this case is an accumulation of causes that are not yet done working themselves out, and won't be for some time. To expect otherwise is to misunderstand history.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician
    My grandfather served 30 years in the military and hated Japanese because of Pearl Harbor. Obviously, the past is past and we're on good terms with Japan now. In fact, I have more respect for your average Japanese citizen than your average American. I studied four years of Japanese as an undergrad, plus studied physics and taught math in Japan. Their culture puts ours to shame on some key values like respect and responsibility. Some results include Tokyo being perhaps the safest major city in the world and overall the healthiest nation in the world.
    This doesn't seem to be an applicable analogy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician
    One disappointment I have as a mathematician is the inability of the majority to recognize patterns or analyze cause/effect.
    One disappointment I have as a philosopher is the inability of many people to maintain consistency in their positions...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician
    Relating this to the OP, the more people dwell on the past and hold grudges, the less they will achieve.
    Again, I think it's got very little to do with holding a grudge. It's got a lot more to do with causes that are historical, and have yet to be worked out. Reference to history is the standard method of finding those causes--the mistake your analysis makes is to confuse the method of finding causes for the causes themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician
    In particular, blacks dwell on the slavery many years ago and that's what's impeding their progress.
    Nonsense. Subconscious bias (also known as "Unconscious bias" or "Implicit bias") studies establish that racism is alive and well among most people in America. Sociological studies have consistently indicated the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician
    Instead of turning a hatred for past suffering into excuses to want pity and reimbursement for pain and suffering, it should be redirected to motivate working for success.
    It's strange that you make this kind of remark, and then go on to say what you say below. See my comments further down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician
    With regards to the food served, please read the quotes in my signature. Stereotypes are developed based on statistics, not necessarily explicitly counting but perhaps general observations. Food preference is unique to individuals. However, there are many factors, such as ethnicity or wealth, that can be conditioned on since the probability distribution of food preferences can differ noticeably when you partition with respect to these. Take some millionaires and college kids for example. You'll see an expected difference in the preferences between wine or beer and between cheese samples or cheese pizza. Obviously, if your goal is to satisfy your guests then you look to maximize the probability if doing so.
    So, you seem to acknowledge that there are properties, which may not perhaps be truly predicated of all individuals in a sample, but will generally be truly predicated in aggregate. How, exactly, you hold that position consistently with your other position (given a good general knowledge of the issues involved) is not clear to me.

    Your food example is an example of how cause leads to effect. It's surely not the case that the wealthy individuals you mention look back on the history of wealthy people and rage against any mention of beer because Annheuser Busch (or some such) held them down as slaves, keeping them from their rightfully-earned wine. No, wealthy individuals can afford nice wine, and have time to develop a discriminating palate. That's one reason they tend to prefer nicer wines. It's also surely not the case that wealthy individuals look back into history and drink wine so as to conform with the customs of their ancestors. They don't hold any grudge against the days when their ancestors drank beer like the rest of us. Rather, they drink wine because their ancestors do or did, and this is what they are taught and what they know. Changing a preference for nice wines into one for cheap beer would take a monumental effort, precisely because of the weight of historical causes and the nature of human beings generally.

  8. #458
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    WTF?

    You think people in west Philadelphia ghetto neighborhoods know anything about some "historical causes they have yet to be worked out"???

    I think this is just a round-about way to excuse racial resentment by blacks.



    Please, do tell Mr. Philosopher..... what are these "historical causes that are yet to be worked out" ???
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #459
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine
    You think people in west Philadelphia ghetto neighborhoods know anything about some "historical causes they have yet to be worked out"???
    I have no thesis about whether they do or not. Why would knowledge of a cause be necessary to that cause acting upon a person? For example, few college students today know anything about the decisions made under the Nixon administration which set up student loan programs and cut grants. But those causes have a tremendous effect on their lives, and the lives of most people in this country.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine
    I think this is just a round-about way to excuse racial resentment by blacks.
    I think anyone who takes a reasonable and unbiased view of history would see that resentment is quite justified and therefore excusable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine
    Please, do tell Mr. Philosopher..... what are these "historical causes that are yet to be worked out" ???
    I believe I've already named them, but I will again: centuries of being kidnapped and sold into slavery in nearly unfathomably cruel conditions, followed by decades of legally sanctioned racism. All of that sounds incredibly sterile when described that way; you have to give consideration to what it would be like for a human being to experience that sort of treatment, and for generations of human beings in a population to experience such treatment.

  10. #460
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Blacks and other minorities that use 200 year old excuses will continue to fail in society today.

Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •