Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 712

Thread: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains why

  1. #301
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is it possible that, if most people use "racist" to describe what is actually 'paranoia', even if technically incorrect, is a sign the word is evolving to include said paranoia and that the dictionaries simply haven't caught up yet?
    No disrespect intended . . . seriously . . . I have waited for this "Is it possible" question forever . . . I can't help it, but yes . . . it is possible, but is also possible that monkeys might jump out of my ass . . . it's possible but I doubt it will happen.

  2. #302
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I suppose, but it's more useful to know the right word. What we have are two separate concepts. To be racist is to believe in the superiority of one race over another. Superiority complexes need to be dealt with one way.

    To be paranoid is to have delusions of persecution, and a general sense of mistrust.

    Dealing with paranoia is different from how you would deal with someone with a superiority complex.
    Right. But, for good or for bad, words and language evolve continuously.

    Take the word "discrimination", for example. We ALL discriminate, every single day. To discriminate is simply to make a choice. Said choice can be completely benign. If I choose chocolate chip cookies over peanut butter cookies, I have made a choice, I have discriminated against peanut butter cookies. A completely neutral choice.

    And the word still means that. However, in current popular use, it has taken on the meaning that it is a negative in reference to race or ethnic or gender views and/or "choices". And when people hear the word discrimination now, almost always the first image that comes into their mind is the current negative definition, not the original neutral definition.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #303
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Not to nitpick... oh hell, I'm going to nitpick for a second.

    "Discriminate" actually means "differentiate." It means to recognize a distinction between things. In that way, the word has nothing to do with making choices.

    A discriminating gentleman chooses Rolex over Quartz watches, for example. That is, a man who can differentiate a good watch from a regular watch. To others, a watch is just a watch.

    Some discriminate between Coke and Pepsi, preferring one to the other. Myself, I can't taste the difference.

    When talking about race, discrimination is used in the same sense. Used correctly, it just means to recognize a distinction between races.



    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Right. But, for good or for bad, words and language evolve continuously.

    Take the word "discrimination", for example. We ALL discriminate, every single day. To discriminate is simply to make a choice. Said choice can be completely benign. If I choose chocolate chip cookies over peanut butter cookies, I have made a choice, I have discriminated against peanut butter cookies. A completely neutral choice.

    And the word still means that. However, in current popular use, it has taken on the meaning that it is a negative in reference to race or ethnic or gender views and/or "choices". And when people hear the word discrimination now, almost always the first image that comes into their mind is the current negative definition, not the original neutral definition.

  4. #304
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Not to nitpick... oh hell, I'm going to nitpick for a second.

    "Discriminate" actually means "differentiate." It means to recognize a distinction between things. In that way, the word has nothing to do with making choices.

    A discriminating gentleman chooses Rolex over Quartz watches, for example. That is, a man who can differentiate a good watch from a regular watch. To others, a watch is just a watch.

    Some discriminate between Coke and Pepsi, preferring one to the other. Myself, I can't taste the difference.

    When talking about race, discrimination is used in the same sense. Used correctly, it just means to recognize a distinction between races.
    That too, but fair enough.

    In my example, you're making choices based on the differences. (I used to have a more substantial example handy, but cannot find it now.)

    Discriminate Synonyms, Discriminate Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

    Main Entry: cull
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: pick out for reason
    Synonyms: choose, discriminate, elect, extract, glean, mark, opt for, optate, pluck, prefer, select, sift, single out, take, thin, thin out, winnow
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Someone who is color blind cannot discriminate between green and yellow.

    The word just means "to perceive a difference."

    Someone who does not discriminate among human beings does not see a difference between black and white, male or female, etc.

    Someone who does discriminate sees a difference between black and white, gay and straight, tall and short, etc.

    The word really became popular during the civil rights movement. At that time, segregation was the key question... and the words are closely tied together.

    In order to segregate based on race, one first has to discriminate based on race.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That too, but fair enough.

    In my example, you're making choices based on the differences. (I used to have a more substantial example handy, but cannot find it now.)

    Discriminate Synonyms, Discriminate Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

    Main Entry: cull
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: pick out for reason
    Synonyms: choose, discriminate, elect, extract, glean, mark, opt for, optate, pluck, prefer, select, sift, single out, take, thin, thin out, winnow

  6. #306
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Someone who is color blind cannot discriminate between green and yellow.

    The word just means "to perceive a difference."

    Someone who does not discriminate among human beings does not see a difference between black and white, male or female, etc.

    Someone who does discriminate sees a difference between black and white, gay and straight, tall and short, etc.

    The word really became popular during the civil rights movement. At that time, segregation was the key question... and the words are closely tied together.

    In order to segregate based on race, one first has to discriminate based on race.
    Right. That was my point... an example of how a word has changed/evolved from it's original meaning, and how that might be the process at work here with "racism". The specifics of how/why a word evolves isn't so much the point, but rather that words can and do evolve quite commonly.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Well, the word "discriminate" didn't evolve, it means the same thing it did 100 years ago. That said, your overall point is right.... words do change meaning over time.

    A racist is still someone who thinks one race is superior to another. Another way to describe a racist: a racial supremacist.

    You can't say Jaime Foxx is a racial supremacist, at least not by his statements in the OP. He does come across as hyper-sensitive and paranoid, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Right. That was my point... an example of how a word has changed/evolved from it's original meaning, and how that might be the process at work here with "racism". The specifics of how/why a word evolves isn't so much the point, but rather that words can and do evolve quite commonly.

  8. #308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    And there you have it. The leftwing hero is a bonafide modern day racist.
    Leftwing hero? layoff the kool aid, it is giving you more delusions. I must have missed all those jamie foxx for president signs, and his show on MSNBC. last i knew Foxx was a rather substandard comedian who made his career off of perpetuating the stereotype of the dumb ass black guy. I could see why you may think he is great because he substanitiates your bigotry and racism, but I don't really see him as much of a hero.

    But, it is pretty much to be expected by you to make up crazy baseless accusations like this. As for him being racist, i think i would accept his ideas that he has encountered racism throughout his life as being far more accurate than the opposing claims by a known racist and overwhelming right wing propaganda liar like yourself. He had to live with being black, and you live in some alternate reality called faux news imaginationland. He may suck as an actor and comedian, but he knows a hell of a lot more about being black than you do.

  9. #309
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    I wish I had seen this earlier.

    His comments are not far from the truth. As a black man we are under a stigma. I have watched people cross the street because they are scared. My wife and daughter were refused an upgraded room on the basis of the racist counter clerk. I mean people can say it is not that prevalent, but it is. It is just harder to notice because people keep it under raps for fear of reprisals.

    In fact I agree with him. I notice little things like the Chicago Fireman in my scuba class who is friendly to everyone but me. Would not even talk to me if he could avoid it. The cop who stopped me and searched my bag for not other reason than I was walking down the street coming form work in the early morning. These are things most white people don't see or have to put up with. Getting pulled over constantly because I was driving a Conquest Tsi and black. No other reason to pull me over, none. In a conversation with Mac he brought up the constant stupid questions like "why do blacks do "insert stupid stereo type" from white friends and acquaintances. They don't mean to be insulting, but it is. Hell I have friends on Facebook from childhood who make comments like "you are black? when did this happen" and similar jokes because I don't speak Ebonics or listen to rap. They are just being funny and think it's a joke. They have no idea how insulting it actually is. Like the music I listen to defines me as a person.

    You can say it's racist all you want, but it's not. It is just an unfortunate stigma that black males deal with our entire lives here in the good old USA.

    If you think that is racist, well hehehe **** you and the horse you road in on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #310
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,927

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I would say the personal issues are as much your way as the other. Extremes either way don't help the situation... too sensitive or incredibly insensitive. FYI I don't recall anyone asking you so your posting in this thread indicates you do see at least some ado to it.
    I suppose I did make a little ado about it didnt I. Oh well.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •