Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 712

Thread: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains why

  1. #291
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    How does that make him a racist?

    The word "racist" gets thrown around too flippantly, I believe.
    Especially when the person being accused of racism is a black person.

    I happen to notice that still rings true on DP..... any time the subject of accusation of racism is a black person, the "term is thrown around too easily" and "it doesn't meet the definition because he/she doesn't think race X is superior to all other races"

    Yet when a white dude says something that does not imply whites are superior......... that mother ****er.... is racist.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #292
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Especially when the person being accused of racism is a black person.

    I happen to notice that still rings true on DP..... any time the subject of accusation of racism is a black person, the "term is thrown around too easily" and "it doesn't meet the definition because he/she doesn't think race X is superior to all other races"

    Yet when a white dude says something that does not imply whites are superior......... that mother ****er.... is racist.
    Got to hate them definitions and sociological understandings from the real world. Me too . . . now I know (from you) that as a white guy . . . blacks are racist against me.

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Well, a racist is someone who believes that one race is superior to another. Jaime Foxx describes being hyper-aware of race, all day every day. That's not the same as believing one race is superior.

    I think "paranoid" is a better word to describe Jaime Foxx than "racist."

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Especially when the person being accused of racism is a black person.

    I happen to notice that still rings true on DP..... any time the subject of accusation of racism is a black person, the "term is thrown around too easily" and "it doesn't meet the definition because he/she doesn't think race X is superior to all other races"

    Yet when a white dude says something that does not imply whites are superior......... that mother ****er.... is racist.

  4. #294
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Well, a racist is someone who believes that one race is superior to another. Jaime Foxx describes being hyper-aware of race, all day every day. That's not the same as believing one race is superior.

    I think "paranoid" is a better word to describe Jaime Foxx than "racist."
    What if I am white but believe that Asians might be superior? Am I being a racist against my own race?

  5. #295
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    What if I am white but believe that Asians might be superior? Am I being a racist against my own race?
    Nope . . . you are an Uncle Tomahito.

  6. #296
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    Nope . . . you are an Uncle Tomahito.
    Can I copyright that and sell spicy condiments using that as my brand name?

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Technically, yes. It's not that rare to find, either. I have a few asian friends who believe that white people are superior to asians.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    What if I am white but believe that Asians might be superior? Am I being a racist against my own race?

  8. #298
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Can I copyright that and sell spicy condiments using that as my brand name?
    With all my pleasure.

  9. #299
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Well, a racist is someone who believes that one race is superior to another. Jaime Foxx describes being hyper-aware of race, all day every day. That's not the same as believing one race is superior.

    I think "paranoid" is a better word to describe Jaime Foxx than "racist."
    Is it possible that, if most people use "racist" to describe what is actually 'paranoia', even if technically incorrect, is a sign the word is evolving to include said paranoia and that the dictionaries simply haven't caught up yet?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: 'As a black person it's always racial': Django Unchained star Jamie Foxx explains

    I suppose, but it's more useful to know the right word. What we have are two separate concepts. To be racist is to believe in the superiority of one race over another. Superiority complexes need to be dealt with one way.

    To be paranoid is to have delusions of persecution, and a general sense of mistrust.

    Dealing with paranoia is different from how you would deal with someone with a superiority complex.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is it possible that, if most people use "racist" to describe what is actually 'paranoia', even if technically incorrect, is a sign the word is evolving to include said paranoia and that the dictionaries simply haven't caught up yet?

Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •