Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91

Thread: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

  1. #1
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    Pro-Life Dry Cleaner Puts Anti-Abortion Message on Coat Hangers

    coathanger.jpg

    Classy.

    This reminds me of my recent bus excursion to Texas. All over the place in the American hinterland there are farm houses and water towers with gaudy anti-abortion messages plastered all about them, usually done up in annoying colours and occasionally misspelled. They remind me of Las Vegas, for some reason.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    That's.....odd. I have no problem with a private business advertising political messages. I wouldn’t give this story a second thought if the message was put on their plastic garment covers. But a HANGER seems like a really weird place to put an anti-abortion message. It is also a reminder of what women had to resort to before abortion was legal, so it also seems to undermine their message as well.

    Hey, it’s a free country, but that is a strange tactic.

  3. #3
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    Sure, I don't think anyone's advocating not letting these people do whatever they want. That said, I find it tasteless and appalling and I'd never frequent their business.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  4. #4
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    I find it odd that you would find the idea of an individual's statement regarding choosing life appalling and tasteless. I am pro-choice, but to me, the idea of killing a fetus is far more appalling than letting it live.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,951

    Re: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    That's.....odd. I have no problem with a private business advertising political messages. I wouldn’t give this story a second thought if the message was put on their plastic garment covers. But a HANGER seems like a really weird place to put an anti-abortion message. It is also a reminder of what women had to resort to before abortion was legal, so it also seems to undermine their message as well.

    Hey, it’s a free country, but that is a strange tactic.
    It may be due to the infamous image that hangers have when discussing abortions. Personally, I don't have a problem with it.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #6
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I find it odd that you would find the idea of choosing life appalling and tasteless. I am pro-choice, but to me, the idea of killing a fetus is far more appalling than letting it live.
    I find it odd that you would find that I think the "idea of choosing life appalling and tasteless", as opposed to the idea of putting an anti-abortion message on a coathanger "appalling and tasteless", on the basis of this thread. Really, if that's your takeaway from all this, my advice to you is to work on your reading comprehension skills.

    That said, I'm not especially sentimental about the issue of abortion. But I was pretty clearly talking about this advertising scheme in the context of this thread.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  7. #7
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    I find it odd that you would find that I think the "idea of choosing life appalling and tasteless", as opposed to the idea of putting an anti-abortion message on a coathanger "appalling and tasteless", on the basis of this thread. Really, if that's your takeaway from all this, my advice to you is to work on your reading comprehension skills.

    That said, I'm not especially sentimental about the issue of abortion. But I was pretty clearly talking about this advertising scheme in the context of this thread.
    It looks like a pretty succinct and symbolic message to me. I guess I'm just not so easily offended by someone's ability to make a direct statement so clearly.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #8
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It looks like a pretty succinct and symbolic message to me. I guess I'm just not so easily offended by someone's ability to make a direct statement so clearly.
    I found it dumb as Hell, tacky, and an imposition on the customers (who may not appreciate overt politicking in their laundry mat). Again, nobody's going to try to take away his right to do whatever he wants. If he wants to run off potential customers, I'm more than happy to let him do so.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  9. #9
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    I found it dumb as Hell, tacky, and an imposition on the customers (who may not appreciate overt politicking in their laundry mat). Again, nobody's going to try to take away his right to do whatever he wants. If he wants to run off potential customers, I'm more than happy to let him do so.
    Did you find it dumb because you disagree with it and you want to suppress the opposing view?

    I'm going to bet that the owner is willing to lose some money to save an innocent human life.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  10. #10
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Anti-abortion dry cleaner puts message on his wire coat hangers

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Did you find it dumb because you disagree with it and you want to suppress the opposing view?
    I don't think you understand what "suppression" means. "Suppression" means actively forcing someone not to express a certain view. Again, the guy can do as he wants. It's his laundry mat. But opting not to go there, and agitating that others of a like mind not take their business there, isn't "suppressing" anything. That's the way markets work. And to insinuate it is "suppressing" his freedom of speech does nothing but suggest to me that you've never actually had your freedom of speech suppressed and wouldn't recognize it if you did.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •