Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 226

Thread: SCOTUS: Scalia on the defensive over gay rights

  1. #181
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Homosexuality is evil, and it is immoral. It seems the only “morality” that you advocate is one in which nobody is allowed to recognize any immorality for what it truly is. That is no morality at all.
    You can say chocolate milk is immoral for all I care. Evil is forcing your opinion of morality on others.

  2. #182
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Adultery is a form of fraud. Fraud is pretty much accepted as immoral. That commandment was thrown away so our rules coud get some nooky on the side and yet be cheered by their rabid party followers.



    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    "Take his mildest example: adultery. The country used to have numerous laws concerning adultery, but now, not so much. Does that make adultery no longer immoral? Its still immoral in my book, and each and every one of us is entitled to their opinion on it."

    If one considers what is done in the bedroom between consenting adults is ok how can one consider adultery immoral?

  3. #183
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You can say chocolate milk is immoral for all I care. Evil is forcing your opinion of morality on others.
    So do you have no opinions on any social issues? Most laws are essentially forcing opinions upon others.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    "Take his mildest example: adultery. The country used to have numerous laws concerning adultery, but now, not so much. Does that make adultery no longer immoral? Its still immoral in my book, and each and every one of us is entitled to their opinion on it."

    If one considers what is done in the bedroom between consenting adults is ok how can one consider adultery immoral?
    This goes against your point. Laws criminalizing adultery were pure moralizing for the most part. Eventually, legislatures decided to treat married people like adults and let them decide what to do when a spouse committed adultery. They can always divorce or have an argument about it, or decide it's fine. It's nobody else's business.

    In contrast, preventing murder is everybody's business.

    Homosexuality -- i.e., the sexual preference between consenting adults is more like the former and not the latter with respect to whether moralizating about it is anybody's business. While some people can have moral objections to adultery or homosexuality or eating meat for that matter, their personal moral issues should not be embodied in law because it doesn't harm them and it's none of their business. It's something adults can work out among themselves.

    So WHY did Scalia compare homosexuality to murder, again?

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    So do you have no opinions on any social issues? Most laws are essentially forcing opinions upon others.
    False: most criminal laws are to prevent or punish conduct that harms other people financially or physically. Most civil laws are to protect property and transactions. Again, while we may attach moral feelings to some or all of these law, that isn't enough. There must be actual harm or an interest to protect.

    Moral feelings that people shouldn't eat meat is scarcely a reason to enforce vegetarianism.

  6. #186
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMcDuc View Post
    There are plenty of people his age who don't think like he does. Scalia is an educated, intelligent man who has no doubt been exposed to gay people on a personal level many times in his life. There is really no excuse for his bigotry.
    Other than that—unlike far too many people today—he still recognizes the difference between right and wrong, good and evil; and is not afraid to speak for good and against evil even if doing so will result in people calling him a bigot for so doing.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  7. #187
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Other than that—unlike far too many people today—he still recognizes the difference between right and wrong, good and evil; and is not afraid to speak for good and against evil even if doing so will result in people calling him a bigot for so doing.
    The fact that he's thought of as bigoted for his definition of evil might give one pause as to whether or not he's accurately identifying what evil really is.

  8. #188
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I can not find one iota of immorality in homosexuality. Love is love, no matter who engages. It's the opposite of harmful.

    Adultery seems to be so easily forgiven. Now, that's immoral. …
    Arguing that one form of immorality is now widely-tolerated in society is no argument in support of a similar form of immorality.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  9. #189
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You can say chocolate milk is immoral for all I care. Evil is forcing your opinion of morality on others.
    To paraphrase Einstein, evil doesn't happen so much because of people doing evil, but because of otherwise good people who tolerate and allow it.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Justice Scalia compares homosexuality to murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Arguing that one form of immorality is now widely-tolerated in society is no argument in support of a similar form of immorality.
    Every person's morality is his own. The issue is making law, which is a public concern. And personal morality is no basis for law, especially when its only purpose is to discriminate.

    The purpose of laws against murder are to protect people, not to discriminate against murderers because we don't like them. The purpose of laws against gays is simply to discriminate against gays because some (insecure) members of our society don't like them.

    See the difference? Scalia doesn't.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •