Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78

Thread: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,036

    Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    The Senate on Tuesday passed a massive, wide-ranging $631 billion defense authorization bill that restores threatened Pentagon biofuels programs, issues new sanctions against Iran and changes U.S. detention policy for American citizens.

    The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) passed the Senate unanimously 98-0 after the bill was debated for five days and hundreds of amendments were considered on the floor.

    Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0 - The Hill's DEFCON Hill
    Isnt this proof that congress has no interest in cutting spending? Even the democrats, who always list defense as the first thing to be cut, voted unanimously to INCREASE defense spending at the very same moment a discussion is going on about the huge deficit and debt.

  2. #2
    is totally not a robot.
    Juiposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,591
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    That is obscene on so many levels. Here is all this talk and panic of the fiscal cliff, the integrity of the US government is threatened, and the American Military has long been talked about as one of the major budget items that must be cut, from both parties.

    Then your Senate vote unanimously in favour of INCREASING?! defence spending?!

    That is stupid. So, so stupid.

    I don't even...
    "After all, you know, there are worse things in life than death. I mean, if you've ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman, you know exactly what I mean."
    -Woody Allen

  3. #3
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Isnt this proof that congress has no interest in cutting spending? Even the democrats, who always list defense as the first thing to be cut, voted unanimously to INCREASE defense spending at the very same moment a discussion is going on about the huge deficit and debt.
    They just want to make sure we have solar powered jets with wind turbines on the wings.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    They just want to make sure we have solar powered jets with wind turbines on the wings.
    That's a likely explanation. Because defense is so important, Congress does tend to stick a lot of irrelevant pork and political payoffs into the defense appropriation bills.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    i can't support it.

    honor (and increase) our commitments to veterans, bring the rest home, and start scaling back other programs. a lot of this money would be so much better spent on long term domestic energy innovation and on infrastructure.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    That's a likely explanation. Because defense is so important, Congress does tend to stick a lot of irrelevant pork and political payoffs into the defense appropriation bills.
    What I recall hearing on NPR was that the defense Department was concerned about not having funding for biofuels because they supposedly have seen the utility of those in the long-run and want to be able to make the conversion.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,036

    Re: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i can't support it.

    honor (and increase) our commitments to veterans, bring the rest home, and start scaling back other programs. a lot of this money would be so much better spent on long term domestic energy innovation and on infrastructure.
    We cant afford either.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    We cant afford either.
    but we can afford to defend our foreign energy interests in perpetuity? i'd argue that the better investment is to develop novel domestic energy technologies which will become exportable as the world begins to transition from oil. and infrastructure? what are we going to do, let it all rot?

  9. #9
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    This bill I can't support. It allows for "a ban on same-sex ceremonies on military bases and language that says military chaplains can’t be punished for opposing same-sex marriage," continues sanctions against Iran, and allows for Gitmo to continue to be opened. While it changes the indefinite detention regarding the NDAA, it still doesn't change the fact that the President can still assassinate American citizens.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,036

    Re: Senate passes $631B defense policy bill 98-0

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    but we can afford to defend our foreign energy interests in perpetuity? i'd argue that the better investment is to develop novel domestic energy technologies which will become exportable as the world begins to transition from oil. and infrastructure? what are we going to do, let it all rot?
    We can afford to defend the lives and property of american citizens within the borders of the USA. There is no need to defend foreign energy interests, and its not the job, or the power, of the federal govt to develop energy technology or infrastructure. The states and individuals will take care of that themselves. The purpose of the military is to defend the states from invasion.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •