Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 62

Thread: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

  1. #11
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    They didn't kill their child, diabetes did....
    Diabetes is treatable and that child could have lived until their 70s with proper medical care. They withheld necessary care and their refusal to allow treatment resulted in the death of their child.

    Your argument is the same thing as saying "refusing to provide him with food didn't kill him, starvation did."
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #12
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Since diabetes is entirely treatable, that's a little like arguing that a parent who never feeds their kid didn't kill the kid, starvation did.
    Damn, you beat me to it!

    Great minds....
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #13
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    Another victim of faith healing...
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  4. #14
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,598

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    The parents should be in jail, what they did to their daughter was un-freaking believable. What the state should have done was take her away, and get her the proper medical attention she needed. If an adult wants to forgo treatment due to religious beliefs then fine, but a parent should not have the right to kill their child because of a religious belief they hold.
    So, at what point do you take these children? How does the state know, in adavnce, that this would (could?) happen? Are all in this religious sect to be barred from keeping their offspring? If the past six illnesses all "went away naturally", or were "cured by prayer", when does one "cross the line"?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #15
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    They didn't kill their child, diabetes did....
    What if the parents deliberately withheld food, from their child because they believed God would ensure their child wouldn't starve to death?
    What if the parents left their child in the middle of the busy highway because they believed God would ensure their child's safety?
    What if the parents threw their child in tiger exhibit at the zoo because they believed God would ensure their child's safety?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #16
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    The legal question is a bit complicated, because specific Wisconsin law states a parent who used faith/prayer healing of a child and that fails may not be charged with child abuse.

    The state claimed that since the charge was murder, not child abuse, that legal protection doesn't apply. The defense attorney argues that is a dodge around the law and Wisconsin should first have to change - or at least clarify - the statute because murdering a child certainly is "child abuse" and specific law says a parent can't be charged with child abuse for failed faith healing.

    In short the defense is arguing that the prosecution was making the absurd claim that murdering your child isn't abusing your child. The prosecution claims that child abuse and child murder aren't the same.

    While I do NOT support the principle of letting a child die upon a religious belief if this extreme, I think the defense is correct technically. Murdering a child is child abuse - and the law as written exempts faith healing from criminal prosecution for child abuse. In short, it is a bad old law that needs to be changed, but criminal laws can not be made retroactive.

    So it is more than just a generic question.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    LOL. No, they neglected their child and failed to get medical attention that she needed. I blame them and their silly beliefs.
    When the Godless side of the aisle rails against Darwinism, and the pro-abortion side of the aisle suddenly rails against parental rights, I LOL at their silly hypocrisy.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Since diabetes is entirely treatable, that's a little like arguing that a parent who never feeds their kid didn't kill the kid, starvation did.
    And abortion is hardly ever necessary but we don't mind when women have their babies brains blended out do we?

  9. #19
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Another victim of faith healing...
    Another victim of diabetes.

  10. #20
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Lawyers to ask Wisconsin court to rule in prayer death

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    And abortion is hardly ever necessary but we don't mind when women have their babies brains blended out do we?
    Ah. A totally irrelevant off-topic response. Well argued.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •