Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 227

Thread: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

  1. #11
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Both sides are very vague on where their portion is coming from. Neither side plans to give anything up. The concept of centrism and compromise has been completely lost.

    Just for fun, from Intrade:
    The US debt limit to be raised before midnight ET 31 Dec 2012
    33.6%
    CHANCE
    Last prediction was: $3.36 / share
    Today's Change: -$2.00 (-37.3%)

    Looks like fewer and fewer people think we'll find a solution. Our politicians are really letting us down.

  2. #12
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    The are angling to go off the "cliff" as well. This is their feeble attempt to look as if they are negotiating, when they really don't want a deal. By waiting until after the automatic expiration of the temporary tax relief enacted in 2001/03 and extended in 2010, the Cons do not have to make any affirmative vote that would raise taxes (on the 2%). Instead, they get to vote affirmatively of r tax cut for the lower 98% early in 2013.
    I guess that is why they created the cliff in the first place.....its cover.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #13
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Both sides are very vague on where their portion is coming from. Neither side plans to give anything up. The concept of centrism and compromise has been completely lost.

    Just for fun, from Intrade:
    The US debt limit to be raised before midnight ET 31 Dec 2012
    33.6%
    CHANCE
    Last prediction was: $3.36 / share
    Today's Change: -$2.00 (-37.3%)

    Looks like fewer and fewer people think we'll find a solution. Our politicians are really letting us down.
    Well, this and the Obama's offer thread tells the tale. The discussion is no longer about what we should do, or finding common ground, or figuring out what's best, it's criticizing the other side and marginalizing their desire to find a solution.

    If the people are like this, why should we expect politicians to be any different?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  4. #14
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Why do you say it is the people, not the politicians? I think people are more reasonable if given a chance. Politicians are in show-biz 24/7.

    I can tell you right now that none of them speak for me - does anyone speak for you?

    When we vote, we get very little choice. For all the chaos it might cause, I think we'd be a lot better off if we had multiple parties so we could get someone to be reasonable. What's going on is as childish and embarrassing as the election that preceded it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Well, this and the Obama's offer thread tells the tale. The discussion is no longer about what we should do, or finding common ground, or figuring out what's best, it's criticizing the other side and marginalizing their desire to find a solution.

    If the people are like this, why should we expect politicians to be any different?

  5. #15
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Why do you say it is the people, not the politicians? I think people are more reasonable if given a chance. Politicians are in show-biz 24/7.

    I can tell you right now that none of them speak for me - does anyone speak for you?

    When we vote, we get very little choice. For all the chaos it might cause, I think we'd be a lot better off if we had multiple parties so we could get someone to be reasonable. What's going on is as childish and embarrassing as the election that preceded it.
    Look at this thread.

    Also, your last paragraph is a load of crap. There are plenty of options out there, but people are so scared of the "other side" that they vote for the lesser of two evils.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  6. #16
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    You seem to be agreeing with my "load of crap". I'm confused. Tell me more about these options that I overlooked.



    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Look at this thread.

    Also, your last paragraph is a load of crap. There are plenty of options out there, but people are so scared of the "other side" that they vote for the lesser of two evils.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    You seem to be agreeing with my "load of crap". I'm confused. Tell me more about these options that I overlooked.
    You said there is very little choice, but there are plenty of choices. People are simply more concerned with the evils of the other side than actually agreeing with their own.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  8. #18
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    And I repeat. We have (IMHO) very little choice. We have 2 positions, almost diametrically opposite and that's the representation we get.

    Nobody holds the middle.


    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    You said there is very little choice, but there are plenty of choices. People are simply more concerned with the evils of the other side than actually agreeing with their own.

  9. #19
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    And I repeat. We have (IMHO) very little choice. We have 2 positions, almost diametrically opposite and that's the representation we get.

    Nobody holds the middle.
    Except for all the third party options people forgo because they fear the other side...
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  10. #20
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    And I repeat. We have (IMHO) very little choice. We have 2 positions, almost diametrically opposite and that's the representation we get.

    Nobody holds the middle.
    I would disagree. I think that both parties are only degrees different to the right and left of center, with the Libertarian party and the Green party as the parties that are diametrically opposed. Since most of Americans prefer the center, it is little surprise to me they receive majority support.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •