Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 227

Thread: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

  1. #181
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Interesting you didn't mention the part of my comment I felt was most pertinent to the discussion of SS and why the fix has to come from increasing contributions from the wealthy.
    I try to not jump around on issues BUT your idea has some merit. I personally like the Canadian style. From what I understand their 'SS' distributions are based on an individuals income after retirement. The more a persons income is the less 'SS' the recieve up to like $150k where they do not recieve anything. They ALL pay in throughout their working career equally as we do. There are MANY other ideas out there but merely 'tax the rich more' for everything is unsustainable...they don't have/make THAT much.

    ps. note my edit above.
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  2. #182
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I retired at 58....we are living well on a low 6 figure retirement and about $750K in property and savings, no debt. We have more than enough extra to put all 7 grandkids through college if they stay home and go to the local university. Perhaps even enough for graduate school for some of them.
    My ancestors contributed nothing to our success. Family fortunes fail most often by new generations not working as hard as generations.
    I am here to help, but not to guarantee wealth. Wealth is a handicap to most people. It makes them lazy. I hope your kids and grandkids do as well as I hope mine do, but I am not going to worry about the ones that want to coast on Grandpa's money....THAT ain't gonna happen.
    I will pay for education, the rest is on them.
    lots of what you say is true

    but a real handicap to kids is not wealth but parents (one usually is all they have for those who end up failures) who are sucking on the public teat. I know lots of wealthy people. some of their kids end up being trustafarian losers, others feel guilty about wealth and end up being loopy lefties trying to do penance for their good fortune. Others end up using the fact that they don't have to worry about paying for school to do really really well. and some of them take jobs they can afford to do because they are wealthy like the headmaster of my old prep school who never took a dime of salary but rather had the school use his pay to fund kids who couldn't pay the bill or another guy i knew who was from the family that owned one of the largest businesses in SW Ohio who got his MBA from a top school and decided he'd rather be an Episcopal priest and did that instead. After he retired he started teaching business ethics at a local university. He was highly respected as both a priest and a professor

  3. #183
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    I try to not jump around on issues BUT your idea has some merit. I personally like the Canadian style. From what I understand their 'SS' distributions are based on an individuals income after retirement. The more a persons income is the less 'SS' the recieve up to like $150k where they do not recieve anything. They ALL pay in throughout their working career equally as we do. There are MANY other ideas out there but merely 'tax the rich more' for everything is unsustainable...they don't have/make THAT much.

    ps. note my edit above.

    No one is suggesting the wealthy pay for every thing, we said that since the most of the wealth is owned by a few, they are going to once again pay a little larger share, because an economy cannot prosper when too much wealth is concentrated at the top. But, that was obvious to you already wasn't it?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #184
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No one is suggesting the wealthy pay for every thing, we said that since the most of the wealth is owned by a few, they are going to once again pay a little larger share, because an economy cannot prosper when too much money is concentrated at the top. But, that was obvious to you already wasn't it?
    a little larger share

    what horsepoop
    I love the solution to several million having "too much money" is to concentrate it in the hands of ONE federal government and about 600 politicians and heads of bureaucracies

  5. #185
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a little larger share

    what horsepoop
    I love the solution to several million having "too much money" is to concentrate it in the hands of ONE federal government and about 600 politicians and heads of bureaucracies
    Yes, our tax rates for the wealthy are the lowest in modern history. If, you wish to stand between middle America and the retirement they have paid into all their lives, knock yourself out!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #186
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Yes, our tax rates for the wealthy are the lowest in modern history. If, you wish to stand between middle America and the retirement they have paid into all their lives, knock yourself out!
    the tax rates on everyone else are the lowest in modern history. The richest 2% pay a higher share of the income tax burden than any other TIME IN MODERN HISTORY meaning everyone else PAYS A LOWER SHARE OF THE INCOME TAX BURDEN in MODERN HISTORY

    appealing to the masses has no relevance to me

  7. #187
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No one is suggesting the wealthy pay for every thing, we said that since the most of the wealth is owned by a few, they are going to once again pay a little larger share, because an economy cannot prosper when too much wealth is concentrated at the top. But, that was obvious to you already wasn't it?
    ? Is someone currently suggesting someone else should be paying? All I heard of the President's 'debt ceiling plan' was a mere 4% increase in the upper bracket rate...and somehow that is going to make the economy prosper??? 4%...REALLY?

    You DID note the graph I provided showing the concentration of wealth has moved little over the last 90 years or so...right?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  8. #188
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Yes, our tax rates for the wealthy are the lowest in modern history. If, you wish to stand between middle America and the retirement they have paid into all their lives, knock yourself out!
    The wealthy pay a different FICA tax rate? Please expound on this assertion...thx
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  9. #189
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the tax rates on everyone else are the lowest in modern history. The richest 2% pay a higher share of the income tax burden than any other TIME IN MODERN HISTORY meaning everyone else PAYS A LOWER SHARE OF THE INCOME TAX BURDEN in MODERN HISTORY

    appealing to the masses has no relevance to me

    That shell game didn't work in the presidential election with the American people and it won't work here. We are talking percentages. The only reason the rich are paying more in total dollars is because they own more of the wealth. Their effective percentage rate is the lowest in modern history.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #190
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: GOP makes $2.2 Trillion Counteroffer to Obama - includes revenue increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That shell game didn't work in the presidential election with the American people and it won't work here. We are talking percentages. The only reason the rich are paying more in total dollars is because they own more of the wealth. Their effective percentage rate is the lowest in modern history.
    more appeals to the masses based on the specious concept that truth is based only a popularity vote.

    you also continually ignore the fact that the poor and the middle class are also paying far less than they did in prior years and their share of the burden is lower than at any time in modern history. YET they are the ones who drive the spending because politicians pander to numbers of votes.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •