Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 499

Thread: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

  1. #471
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,779

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    But they don't do that, so where's the test that says that they can do that?
    LMAO

    yes they do you must be young and or from another country churches refuse people all the time hell they refuse STRAIGHT, HETEROSEXUAL WHITE COUPLES for religious reasons.

    SOrry you are simply wrong and theres nothing logically or factual to support your staetment
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #472
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    And the church apologized shortly thereafter.
    Your point? Making an apology doesnt equal getting in legal trouble.

  3. #473
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    It's not ridiculous to be resistant to change, its just human. Small things like changing the words on a marriage license may seem like nothing to you but in actuality its just a small piece of the larger picture, the slipping away of a tradition these people have always known and relied upon on.
    You mean like how they used to not say anything more than indicate male and female for signing purposes? That sort of change in tradition? I can easily find examples from the 1950s, the 1970s, and other times where the Washington marriage license didn't have anything on it at all about what people are complaining about. No mention of either bride or groom, wife or husband. Only blocks labelled "male" and "female" for where to sign the form.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #474
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    We're going down the road where eventually priests will be convicted of hate crimes for refusing to marry gay couples.
    Like those who are convicted of such for refusing to marry interracial couples or even black couples or white couples? This is a stupid argument. No preacher is ever going to be required to perform a wedding for any couple they don't want to perform one for, whether black, white, Asian, interracial, Catholic, Jewish, atheists, same sex or opposite sex, as long as the 1st Amendment protection of Freedom of religion is in place. Interracial marriage has been legal for decades now and not a single religious clergymen has so much as been sued for refusing to perform a wedding for an interracial couple because everyone knows it won't fly. We even have JOPs who have refused to perform such weddings and still didn't get sued.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #475
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    But they don't refuse to marry them because of those things, except for gay couples. They refuse them on other grounds that have to do with Church law. Refusing a marriage simply because they are gay, will that be an identity deserving of protection? It seems we're going moving toward that.
    You're wrong. Many churches have refused to marry interracial couples because they are interracial, or black couples because they are black (one just this past year), or Jewish couples because they are Jewish. The main people fighting to keep interracial marriage bans in place were religious organizations in the 1960s. Many claimed, including the first judge in the Loving case, that God intended for the races to remain separate and religious reasons was a main part of why interracial couples should not be allowed to marry.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #476
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You mean like how they used to not say anything more than indicate male and female for signing purposes? That sort of change in tradition? I can easily find examples from the 1950s, the 1970s, and other times where the Washington marriage license didn't have anything on it at all about what people are complaining about. No mention of either bride or groom, wife or husband. Only blocks labelled "male" and "female" for where to sign the form.
    Okay.
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  7. #477
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    LMAO

    yes they do you must be young and or from another country churches refuse people all the time hell they refuse STRAIGHT, HETEROSEXUAL WHITE COUPLES for religious reasons.

    SOrry you are simply wrong and theres nothing logically or factual to support your staetment
    Yes, for religious reasons like cohabitation or having a child. Barring marriage because of an identity is going to be viewed differently.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #478
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Your point? Making an apology doesnt equal getting in legal trouble.
    Churches are not going to apologize for not wedding gays; they're not going to call it a mistake.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #479
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Like those who are convicted of such for refusing to marry interracial couples or even black couples or white couples? This is a stupid argument. No preacher is ever going to be required to perform a wedding for any couple they don't want to perform one for, whether black, white, Asian, interracial, Catholic, Jewish, atheists, same sex or opposite sex, as long as the 1st Amendment protection of Freedom of religion is in place. Interracial marriage has been legal for decades now and not a single religious clergymen has so much as been sued for refusing to perform a wedding for an interracial couple because everyone knows it won't fly. We even have JOPs who have refused to perform such weddings and still didn't get sued.
    Would I get sued for preventing blacks from buying a home on my development?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #480
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You're wrong. Many churches have refused to marry interracial couples because they are interracial, or black couples because they are black (one just this past year), or Jewish couples because they are Jewish. The main people fighting to keep interracial marriage bans in place were religious organizations in the 1960s. Many claimed, including the first judge in the Loving case, that God intended for the races to remain separate and religious reasons was a main part of why interracial couples should not be allowed to marry.
    Maybe in places with Jim Crow Laws where this was enforced.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •