Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 499

Thread: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

  1. #31
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Gee -- without it being spelled out on the marriage certificate, how are most married couples supposed to know which is which?
    I need the government to tell me if I'm a Husband or spouse A. I'm dependent on the government.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #32
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I need the government to tell me if I'm a Husband or spouse A. I'm dependent on the government.
    and I am always at a complete loss without the instruction manual that shows me how to put it together.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  3. #33
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    It starts like this:

    "The union between two individuals – heterosexual or homosexual – was considered a pleasurable fact and posed no moral problem for the upper-class Roman elite"

    And it progresses to this:

    "As Paul Veyne relates, "…it was proverbially held that sex with boys procures a tranquil pleasure unruffling the soul." Examples abound in almost overwhelming abundance. Ovid relates the story of Ganymede as boy lover to Jove, as well as his description of Orpheus who turns to boys as a tranquil consolation after having lost his wife"

    Sexuality in the Roman Empire
    Did you actually read the very link you put up? Because after reading it three times,I can't find were the author makes the connection between homosexuality and it being the reason for the Fall of Rome.


    The Fall of Rome could just has easily been caused be lead poisoning.
    Lead Poisoning and Rome

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Austin View Post
    Ive heard that argument before, mainly from the "other side", regarding some words that are now considered highly offensive.

    Im glad the world rejected that position.
    There is a reason why you do not see me getting all offended here on the board. I realize I am responsible for my emotional reactions. I do not blame them on every one else.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Who really cares what the government tells us to call ourselves? I don't.

    Some people just bitch for the sake of bitching.

    'Sticks and stones will break my bones - names will never hurt me.'

    Time to grow up, children, and move on to something that is actually important.
    No one is telling any one what to call themselves. This is what the government is calling it, and the government is trying to actually be accurate.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #36
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    You think I oppose it to make gays unhappy? My family values the traditional gender roles. I believe this is one reason our family is so strong in this society where divorce has risen over time. Have the dads ask their daughters whether they dream of being a bride or a "spouse b". It's the expectation of everything to go to one neutral instead of creating a sufficient alternate that infuriates me. It's similar to the atheists I want to kick the crap out of for expecting crosses to not be in public view or the stupid "holiday tree" controversy.
    No one is asking you to change your values. No one is asking you to change your relationships in any way.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #37
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,827

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No one is telling any one what to call themselves. This is what the government is calling it, and the government is trying to actually be accurate.
    My point was that this is much ado about nothing.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  8. #38
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I've always pictured using those terms, I'll get married to my wife, and I'll be her wife. And I've always used girlfriend, instead of partner, etc. That's just me though.
    Which would be a problem under the old documents since one of you would be a groom and a husband. But yeah, I see your point.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-11-12 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,080

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is a reason why you do not see me getting all offended here on the board. I realize I am responsible for my emotional reactions. I do not blame them on every one else.
    I bet you could be offended easily.

    Im not going to but I bet I could trigger you into a "ban" in no time.

    But I wouldnt, because its important not to offend. We take efforts not to, & that should be universal (in a decent society).

  10. #40
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: State to Eliminate “Bride” & “Groom” on Marriage Certificates [W:303]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I need the government to tell me if I'm a Husband or spouse A. I'm dependent on the government.
    It is a simple test involving a heavy box, a spider, and a pair of heels one size too small for your feet. If you find yourself killing the spider while carrying the heavy box, you are 'Husband". If you find yourself trying to cram your feet into the six-inch heels that are too small for your feet while your significant other kills the spider and carries the box, you are Spouse A.

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •