Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 436

Thread: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

  1. #61
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,584

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I hope the student wins.**** like this could be used to used to breed compliance with government and corporate monitoring of what we do.

    Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker | Threat Level | Wired.com

    A Texas high school student is being suspended for refusing to wear a student ID card implanted with a radio-frequency identification chip.
    Northside Independent School District in San Antonio began issuing the RFID-chip-laden student-body cards when the semester began in the fall. The ID badge has a bar code associated with a student’s Social Security number, and the RFID chip monitors pupils’ movements on campus, from when they arrive until when they leave.
    Radio-frequency identification devices are a daily part of the electronic age — found in passports, and library and payment cards. Eventually they’re expected to replace bar-code labels on consumer goods. Now schools across the nation are slowly adopting them as well.
    The suspended student, sophomore Andrea Hernandez, was notified by the Northside Independent School District in San Antonio that she won’t be able to continue attending John Jay High School unless she wears the badge around her neck, which she has been refusing to do. The district said the girl, who objects on privacy and religious grounds, beginning Monday would have to attend another high school in the district that does not yet employ the RFID tags.
    The Rutherford Institute said it would go to court and try to nullify the district’s decision. The institute said that the district’s stated purpose for the program — to enhance their coffers — is “fundamentally disturbing.”
    “There is something fundamentally disturbing about this school district’s insistence on steamrolling students into complying with programs that have nothing whatsoever to do with academic priorities and everything to do with fattening school coffers,” said John Whitehead, the institute’s president.
    Jesus christ... I love Texas, but the people who run the schools are some of the most obnoxious POS's out there.

    In high school I was suspended for not standing for the Texas pledge. (which plays daily) My belief was that state allegiance should be voluntary and not compulsory, especially for students who aren't even from Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,564

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Jesus christ... I love Texas, but the people who run the schools are some of the most obnoxious POS's out there.

    In high school I was suspended for not standing for the Texas pledge. (which plays daily) My belief was that state allegiance should be voluntary and not compulsory, especially for students who aren't even from Texas.
    Standing for the Texas Pledge, whatever that is, and using modern technology to keep track of the whereabouts of minors who are your responsibility are two very different things. No minor is going to be lost or injured by refusing to say the pledge. Keeping track of dependent minors is the first responsibility of the school.

    Laws that attempt to protect adults from themselves are a danger to civil liberties. Laws that protect minors from themselves are quite necessary, which is why the in loco parentis laws apply to the school, and so the school is not just allowed, but required to keep close tabs on minors in their care. Using modern technology to do so is no more invasive than having teachers roam the halls at break to keep an eye on kids.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #63
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,584

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Standing for the Texas Pledge, whatever that is, and using modern technology to keep track of the whereabouts of minors who are your responsibility are two very different things. No minor is going to be lost or injured by refusing to say the pledge. Keeping track of dependent minors is the first responsibility of the school.

    Laws that attempt to protect adults from themselves are a danger to civil liberties. Laws that protect minors from themselves are quite necessary, which is why the in loco parentis laws apply to the school, and so the school is not just allowed, but required to keep close tabs on minors in their care. Using modern technology to do so is no more invasive than having teachers roam the halls at break to keep an eye on kids.
    Is there a reason you directed this at me, or are you addressing the crowd?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    I see no reason why this would be a violation of her "rights" on any level. Where I work I am required to carry a photo ID visibly on me at all times. I'm sure the next ones they issue will likely have RFID technology in them. This ID is required to be visible at all times. To get from the street to my desk I must use this badge THREE times to access the parking lot, the building, and then the area where my desk is. If I go to the cafeteria for food I have to use it to get back into my work area.

    I see nothing wrong with this sort of security precaution.

  5. #65
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I hope the student wins.**** like this could be used to used to breed compliance with government and corporate monitoring of what we do.

    Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker | Threat Level | Wired.com

    A Texas high school student is being suspended for refusing to wear a student ID card implanted with a radio-frequency identification chip.
    Northside Independent School District in San Antonio began issuing the RFID-chip-laden student-body cards when the semester began in the fall. The ID badge has a bar code associated with a student’s Social Security number, and the RFID chip monitors pupils’ movements on campus, from when they arrive until when they leave.
    Radio-frequency identification devices are a daily part of the electronic age — found in passports, and library and payment cards. Eventually they’re expected to replace bar-code labels on consumer goods. Now schools across the nation are slowly adopting them as well.
    The suspended student, sophomore Andrea Hernandez, was notified by the Northside Independent School District in San Antonio that she won’t be able to continue attending John Jay High School unless she wears the badge around her neck, which she has been refusing to do. The district said the girl, who objects on privacy and religious grounds, beginning Monday would have to attend another high school in the district that does not yet employ the RFID tags.
    The Rutherford Institute said it would go to court and try to nullify the district’s decision. The institute said that the district’s stated purpose for the program — to enhance their coffers — is “fundamentally disturbing.”
    “There is something fundamentally disturbing about this school district’s insistence on steamrolling students into complying with programs that have nothing whatsoever to do with academic priorities and everything to do with fattening school coffers,” said John Whitehead, the institute’s president.
    Crazies at war... too funny.
    PeteEU

  6. #66
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Jesus christ... I love Texas, but the people who run the schools are some of the most obnoxious POS's out there.

    In high school I was suspended for not standing for the Texas pledge. (which plays daily) My belief was that state allegiance should be voluntary and not compulsory, especially for students who aren't even from Texas.
    Not to mention such a pledge is one of the pillars of fascism.
    PeteEU

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Ahhh children do need shots before attending school. You should study up on the subject.
    Yes, that is what the state says. I hardly see how what I said affects that.

    many schools do set dress length, hair codes, down to colors that can and can't be worn.
    Again, I don't see how what I said affects that. Considering that many adults at their work place must do the same thing its a bit odd you say adults in this situation have more rights.

    children do not have the same rights as adults. they can't vote, drive cars, try having sex with a 16 year old!
    The constitution never explicitly ensures the right to vote, as it does the right to speech. Instead it details ways that people can't be denied the right to vote.

    Restricting sex with minors is for their protection, not because they lack rights to have sex. In fact, they do not.

    Driving is considered a privilege for anyone in the country. It isn't, but that is how the state views it.

    It isn't a 'liberty' issue- a vast majority of both right and left leaning parents see it as safety for their minor children.
    You do realize you just put liberty and safety in the same sentence, right?

    In Walters, OK a few guards and teachers knowing their children by sight might work instead of chips- we graduate 30 some kids a year. That isn't the same as a super high school like Columbine, CO that graduates 300+ a year. Practicality is the name of the game and used to be the a hallmark of libertarians. I do realize some who call themselves libertarian would be better called anarchists.
    I have no idea what your point is in saying that.

    To the poster who longs for old school liberals and the ease with which 'modern' liberals embrace 'big government'... Government has changed from the 60's. A super 'conservative' Governor Rick Perry made a cervical cancer vaccination MANDATORY for virgin girls attending Texas schools.
    Which stands no longer and was stopped by the same person. You should keep up on your news.
    Last edited by Henrin; 11-25-12 at 12:47 PM.

  8. #68
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    I had to carry an RFID chip card on me at all times in the Army, and it wasn't a big deal. People are just paranoid. If it worries her so much, all she has to do is disable the chip. Put a towel over it and give it a good whack with a hammer. If done right, it destroys the internal components of the chip without visible damage.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    I had to carry an RFID chip card on me at all times in the Army, and it wasn't a big deal. People are just paranoid. If it worries her so much, all she has to do is disable the chip. Put a towel over it and give it a good whack with a hammer. If done right, it destroys the internal components of the chip without visible damage.
    Or people just don't like being tracked by other people.

  10. #70
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Jesus christ... I love Texas, but the people who run the schools are some of the most obnoxious POS's out there.

    In high school I was suspended for not standing for the Texas pledge. (which plays daily) My belief was that state allegiance should be voluntary and not compulsory, especially for students who aren't even from Texas.
    When the hell did we get our own pledge? I never heard it before.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •