Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 436

Thread: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

  1. #381
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    UPDATE: Texas school can force teenagers to wear locator chip: judge - Yahoo! News

    judge ruled

    SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - A public school district in Texas can require students to wear locator chips when they are on school property, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday in a case raising technology-driven privacy concerns among liberal and conservative groups alike.

    U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia said the San Antonio Northside School District had the right to expel sophomore Andrea Hernandez, 15, from a magnet school at Jay High School, because she refused to wear the device, which is required of all students.

    The judge refused the student's request to block the district from removing her from the school while the case works its way through the federal courts.
    no rights violated
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #382
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,433

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    why is it a bad idea for the school to use technology to know where each of its students is located on campus during school hours?
    Why would it be a bad idea for anybody at any time? There's a whole slew of possible scenarios where it could come in handy for a person of any age.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #383
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    while I agree with the courts here, the mere decision by them doesn't establish a ruling as "correct". In fact, the supreme court has made numerous decisions in the past that any modern reader would see as violating the rights of another. Not to mention, the decision can still be appealed

  4. #384
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why would it be a bad idea for anybody at any time? There's a whole slew of possible scenarios where it could come in handy for a person of any age.
    many employers do. The reason the govt can't usually engage in such behavior is because you can't really shop around for a govt as you can an employer.

    They basically, out of necesity, operate a monopoly on govt

  5. #385
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    while I agree with the courts here, the mere decision by them doesn't establish a ruling as "correct". In fact, the supreme court has made numerous decisions in the past that any modern reader would see as violating the rights of another. Not to mention, the decision can still be appealed
    I agree in history there has been wrong rulings later overturned in various ways

    in this case not only do i agree with the court and cant see any possible reasons at all for this to be wrong, not one, do you have one becuase id gladly listen.

    School property only on school hours, nothing like that violates "rights" people may not like it but that alone donest violate rights.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #386
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,433

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    many employers do. The reason the govt can't usually engage in such behavior is because you can't really shop around for a govt as you can an employer.

    They basically, out of necesity, operate a monopoly on govt
    I was being facetious in my question. Personally, I see no difference between government and private business in matters such as this. It's either a good idea for literally everybody... including the person I was responding to... or it's not.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #387
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,240

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    She has the choice to wear the mark of the beast at school (which was her original objection) or change schools. (if she can find one to take her.) I'm still trying to come to terms with having seen this outcome of this case reported on British TV last night
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  8. #388
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    I agree in history there has been wrong rulings later overturned in various ways

    in this case not only do i agree with the court and cant see any possible reasons at all for this to be wrong, not one, do you have one becuase id gladly listen.

    School property only on school hours, nothing like that violates "rights" people may not like it but that alone donest violate rights.
    As I said in my above post, I agree with the decision. Just pointing out that courts are not some infallable body here

  9. #389
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    As I said in my above post, I agree with the decision. Just pointing out that courts are not some infallable body here
    and as i said above, i agree with you. then i went on to say, logically i see zero reasons to think they made a mistake here
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #390
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    She should take to wearing clothing with a high metallic content. Get enough of her fellow students doing that and the issue will settle itself.

    Also, jammers, though illegal, are available and can be hidden around the campus (good luck finding them). That's how I would have reacted at that age.

    Oh and I forgot, magnetics are her friend. Fridge magnets on every reader.

Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •