Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 436

Thread: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

  1. #371
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    By the way...I just thought of something..

    If I were in a school like this...I would hate this whole thing obviously. I think if we all put ourselves there we would dislike it.

    I would actually take that badge while I was in class and put it in my desk, or tape underneath if there was no compartment in the desk. I would have a friend get it who was in the class with me, and I would cut class. I would pick it up either right outside the classroom before heading off to another class...OR...I would tell that friend I'll be over to his place to pick it up before school the next day and skip the whole day. That way tracking shows that I'm where I'm supposed to be...but I'm actually not.

    There are ways they will find to get around this....I know I would have done it if I were in that school.

    that will work until the moment the security system is activated allowing only those with the chipped credential access
    those kids who ruined theirs or misplaced it will be SOL ... assuming they actually want to go anywhere on campus
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #372
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Too lazy to look through this thread, but I'm curious, is anyone here actually in favor of this tracking system?


  3. #373
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    And tracking peoples location is violation of their rights.
    Minors frankly have very few rights in schools.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #374
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Too lazy to look through this thread, but I'm curious, is anyone here actually in favor of this tracking system?
    Considering it's a RFID with limited range in a school, I'm waivering. In the case of a school shooting, I can see how that can be useful for securing and locating students. It's not like it's a GPS chip the government can track you all over the world with.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #375
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Considering it's a RFID with limited range in a school, I'm waivering. In the case of a school shooting, I can see how that can be useful for securing and locating students. It's not like it's a GPS chip the government can track you all over the world with.
    Do you think it is possible that, if these chips become common in all schools, the "chip" can move to more aspects of life, like all employment?

  6. #376
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,807

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Do you think it is possible that, if these chips become common in all schools, the "chip" can move to more aspects of life, like all employment?
    no because ALL employment would violate rights
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #377
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,494

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Too lazy to look through this thread, but I'm curious, is anyone here actually in favor of this tracking system?
    Nobody has demonstrated that it is a tracking system at all. The news reports make a big thing about there being RFID chips in the cards but, out on incompetence, laziness or intentional misinformation, completely fail to even hint at how the school is and/or intends to actually make use of them.

    I am in favour of schools registering that students are actually attending classes and not skipping class to smoke behind the bike sheds or go off to the arcade down the road. I'm also in favour of schools having an accurate list of exactly who is in the school at a given time, vital in the event of emergencies like fires.

    There are various technological solutions that can make these things easier, more efficient and more accurate so I see absolutely no reason why a school shouldn't invests in using them. Some of those solutions could involve student ID cards with RFID chips in them but there is a wide variety in how they could be implemented. Some I'd see absolutely no problem with, others would raise legitimate concerns.

    If people which to discuss and debate those actual solutions and any concerns they may raise, either in the context of information about exactly what is implemented as the school in question or on wider principals, that sounds perfectly reasonable. There seems to be lots of people who want to (and want to inspire others) to run around like headless chickens panicking about the government tracking people in their homes which is at the very best a tangent to this thread which needs a whole load more substance to turn it in to it's own rational discussion.

  8. #378
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Nobody has demonstrated that it is a tracking system at all. The news reports make a big thing about there being RFID chips in the cards but, out on incompetence, laziness or intentional misinformation, completely fail to even hint at how the school is and/or intends to actually make use of them.

    I am in favour of schools registering that students are actually attending classes and not skipping class to smoke behind the bike sheds or go off to the arcade down the road. I'm also in favour of schools having an accurate list of exactly who is in the school at a given time, vital in the event of emergencies like fires.

    There are various technological solutions that can make these things easier, more efficient and more accurate so I see absolutely no reason why a school shouldn't invests in using them. Some of those solutions could involve student ID cards with RFID chips in them but there is a wide variety in how they could be implemented. Some I'd see absolutely no problem with, others would raise legitimate concerns.

    If people which to discuss and debate those actual solutions and any concerns they may raise, either in the context of information about exactly what is implemented as the school in question or on wider principals, that sounds perfectly reasonable. There seems to be lots of people who want to (and want to inspire others) to run around like headless chickens panicking about the government tracking people in their homes which is at the very best a tangent to this thread which needs a whole load more substance to turn it in to it's own rational discussion.
    I don't think that total knowledge of one's whereabouts is ever going to truly happen and that in the implementation of achieving such, we're going to reap some very negative consequences. The 4th amendment has been one of the greatest victims of technology and this here is just another example in that long history. It's rather unnecessary, I can't imagine the cost (in an already broken system), it's far too aggressive and demeaning.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #379
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Do you think it is possible that, if these chips become common in all schools, the "chip" can move to more aspects of life, like all employment?
    If we want to go down the slippery slope, we can argue anything leads to anything.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #380
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,807

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    If we want to go down the slippery slope, we can argue anything leads to anything.
    aliens have technology that can link to these chips and cause small atomic explosions so this will only lead to the mass destruction of our kids when they evade!!!!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •