Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 436

Thread: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

  1. #211
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    When I was in High School...I made consistent good grades. Sometimes I felt like leaving and did so...was it skipping? Yes it was, but that happened back in the day.

    School kids are being herded in these schools like inmates. They don't have the freedom to wear a hat in school, a certain color, or sometimes they can't even wear the clothes they want. It is an egregious violation of freedom. We try to teach our kids the value of freedom by taking them away?

    Schools have one job to do...teach the kids. That is it. They have no obligation to track them or see where they are within that school. While the kid is on campus...they are under the school supervision...if that kid leaves...that school is no longer responsible. The teenager has decided to take on the responsibility for themselves. Guess what? 16-18 year olds like the idea of freedom of what they do. The school can not be an institution of control and imprisonment for 8 hours a day. It needs to be a place of freedom of expression, and academics.

    I would be outraged as a parent if the school had this on my child. I want the school to let ME do the parenting and they can do the teaching. While my kid is in school, I know they may choose to skip...if they are keeping up their grades...what is the problem? If he skips and doesn't keep up the grades...well I'll find out why and use appropriate punishment.

    Freedom is NOT safe people. It is not meant to be. To allow a school to herd around your kids at school like a bunch of inmates in a prison goes against the very fabric of freedom and good parenting.
    the bolded is 100% false, the school most definitely has the obligation to know where the kids are on school property. they simply do not have the right to be anywhere on school property they choose at anytime if the school doesnt want that.

    as far as hats and stuff, my OPINION of that stuff my agree with you but no rights or freedoms are lost or violated.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #212
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I think the school is foolish to implement RFID tagging. Since they have the ability to track the whereabouts of each student, don't they also have an obligation to actually monitor this?

    What I'm getting at is this - say a student sneaks off campus, heads to the wrong part of town to buy weed, and gets shot. Now, thanks to the RFID tags informing the school of the student's whereabouts, the school is partially liable for what happened to the student.

    By implementing this program, the school is assuming additional responsibilities and liabilities that I doubt the school is prepared to handle from a staffing and financial perspective.
    this doesnt change and risk of liablity
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    I agree this is too much.

    What's worrisome is the next step. When do businesses, other government branches, and eventually most citizens are required to wear these chips? I can see this concept spreading and becoming more sophisticated.

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    I appreciate your opinion, but we'll have to disagree on this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    this doesnt change and risk of liablity

  5. #215
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I agree this is too much.

    What's worrisome is the next step. When do businesses, other government branches, and eventually most citizens are required to wear these chips? I can see this concept spreading and becoming more sophisticated.
    some business and government branches already do it on site, its their right to do so. My work does this, we are a secured facility.

    What "next step" are you referring too
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #216
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I appreciate your opinion, but we'll have to disagree on this one.
    its not an opinion, the liability risk doesnt change. Its an on property monitoring system.

    without the tags they are responsible for the kids whereabouts, with the tags the same is true

    there is a liability risk with or without the tags, thats a fact

    if you want to debate % of risk thats fine but the risk is there regardless
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #217
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    the bolded is 100% false, the school most definitely has the obligation to know where the kids are on school property. they simply do not have the right to be anywhere on school property they choose at anytime if the school doesnt want that.

    as far as hats and stuff, my OPINION of that stuff my agree with you but no rights or freedoms are lost or violated.
    The bolded things are true. What if a student is merely using the restroom, or running an errand for the teach? Should school administrators be tracking them electronically within that school? No. The assumption is always that they are up to no good, but that isn't always the case. Here's what you do...if you don't want students in a particular location...lock the doors to it, or have someone looking at the area.

    Students shouldn't look at a school like it is a prison. While they are on campus...they should go to class. Of course, but if they don't..well their grades will suffer and likewise their hides from their parents. The assumption that the school should know a students whereabouts at all times is flawed. The student understands there are consequences if they break rules and are caught doing so, but not all students who are in the halls while class is in session are necessarily doing anything terrible.

    There is a such a thing as going too far, and I believe electronic tracking is going too far.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    some business and government branches already do it on site, its their right to do so. My work does this, we are a secured facility.

    What "next step" are you referring too
    I wonder to what extent this ID-chipping will go.

  9. #219
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    The bolded things are true. What if a student is merely using the restroom, or running an errand for the teach? Should school administrators be tracking them electronically within that school? No. The assumption is always that they are up to no good, but that isn't always the case. Here's what you do...if you don't want students in a particular location...lock the doors to it, or have someone looking at the area.

    Students shouldn't look at a school like it is a prison. While they are on campus...they should go to class. Of course, but if they don't..well their grades will suffer and likewise their hides from their parents. The assumption that the school should know a students whereabouts at all times is flawed. The student understands there are consequences if they break rules and are caught doing so, but not all students who are in the halls while class is in session are necessarily doing anything terrible.

    There is a such a thing as going too far, and I believe electronic tracking is going too far.
    sorry they are not true, its not the students property and they have no right to go where they want where they please, this is just a fact

    now to be clear, if you dont like it that fine, if you think it goes to far thats fine but its not a rights or freedom violation and the school is obligated to know the kids where about. The kids are their responsibility.

    just be clear what im actually debating
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #220
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I wonder to what extent this ID-chipping will go.
    as to what, give me an example
    I dont really by into slippery slopes to much with out logical reason.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •