Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 436

Thread: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    why is it a bad idea for the school to use technology to know where each of its students is located on campus during school hours?
    I just don't like the idea of any institution tracking anybody.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas105 View Post
    Good Point. This is a major violation to personal privacy. This is making High School's a Police State (They are Gov. Institutions) in themselves. This is going way to far in my opinion; If they are that paranoid about their students, invest in cyber school not RF-ID chips.
    If someone wants to leave the school they have the right to leave the damn school. The school is responsible for the kids, but the kids also have free will and the school is NOT a prison. If they want to skip half of the day than that is their right to do.

    But yes, it is violation of ones privacy.

  3. #13
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I just don't like the idea of any institution tracking anybody.
    as long as its on their property during school hours im find with it. Nobody is forcing her.

    My work has the same badge, its never bothered me

    Do you see harm in it?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMcDuc View Post
    Our schools are becoming prisons. Fences all around, zero tolerance policies, drug testing, ridiculous lunchtime restrictions, strip searches, and now RFID tracking. It is a shame that so many are willing to give up so much out of fear.
    Well they might have no rights, but they are safe. Thank god for that.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    as long as its on their property during school hours im find with it. Nobody is forcing her.

    My work has the same badge, its never bothered me

    Do you see harm in it?
    I just like privacy. Therefore, for me, the harm is that people get less privacy. However, I see your point about the fact that since it's on their property, it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm kind of torn on it, actually. It's kind of like websites tracking how visitors use their site. I understand why they do it (I'm a programmer, so I even do it), but I don't like when I lose privacy.

  6. #16
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I just like privacy. Therefore, for me, the harm is that people get less privacy. However, I see your point about the fact that since it's on their property, it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm kind of torn on it, actually. It's kind of like websites tracking how visitors use their site. I understand why they do it (I'm a programmer, so I even do it), but I don't like when I lose privacy.

    works for me i was just curious, thought maybe there was something you saw that i didnt.
    Thing is you dont really have privacy at work or at school. You have some to your own personal body but even that is limited. Now im not saying i agree with that but its just the reality.

    Your privacy on others property quickly becomes limited.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #17
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    no longer posting
    Last Seen
    01-10-13 @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    453

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well they might have no rights, but they are safe. Thank god for that.
    I think they should just go all the way and give the educators cattle prods so they can control the herd between the sessions of teaching the standardized test and the board-certified feedings. Implants should be required because badges can be easily removed and there is a risk that some animal might get lost when making a trip to the watering hole.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMcDuc View Post
    I think they should just go all the way and give the educators cattle prods so they can control the herd between the sessions of teaching the standardized test and the board-certified feedings. Implants should be required because badges can be easily removed and there is a risk that some animal might get lost when making a trip to the watering hole.
    Indeed, do it at birth where apparently violations of rights is ok because you won't remember the pain. At that up to will ensure the child is safe and you have a win win baby.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    works for me i was just curious, thought maybe there was something you saw that i didnt.
    Thing is you dont really have privacy at work or at school. You have some to your own personal body but even that is limited. Now im not saying i agree with that but its just the reality.

    Your privacy on others property quickly becomes limited.
    I agree. Privacy does become limited on others' property which is why I'd like to save as much of it as I can.

  10. #20
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Student Suspended for Refusing to Wear a School-Issued RFID Tracker

    I think the system would be more fair if it targeted known truants. No need to track the movements of otherwise trustworthy students, which I am sure makes up the majority of most school campuses.

    Trouble is, it's hard to justify such a huge capital outlay to track only a handful of students. The simple fact is, we have the technology to track people 24/7, so we will. Our work trucks have GPS in them and can tell how fast you're going, and sends an email to our office if the truck you are driving goes over a certain speed threshhold. Our company gets a discount on their insurance by having this technology installed. This school district is getting a similar incentive in the form of increased funding for using the system.

    I literally moved one of our company trucks from one end of a parking lot to another and immediately got a call on my cellphone asking me why I moved the truck.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •