Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 611

Thread: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

  1. #51
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I believe Ioh for chuck's sake this is exactly freedom of expression. Door goes both ways. Freedom has consequences, get used to it.

    Sure everyone has the freedom to be a dick, doesn't mean all of us are.
    Hail to the King baby!

  2. #52
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,137

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    This wasn't infringing on anybodies rights.
    absolutely, this is what you are posting about
    you want the Christians to have a super-priority in the public space
    you appear to embrace the right of Christians to promote their nativity scene without its being subject to competing displays from those whose views are not in line with the Christian beliefs
    and the government responded properly. because of such intolerance, no belief system gets to place their exhibit on public property

    It was a church being allowed to display a nativity scene at a public park.
    don't forget the displays by others who hold views other than that held by the Christians. they were (properly) able to display, too
    at least until the vandals objected to their exhibits ... while not subjecting the nativity scene to the same vandalism. hope the vandals were not wearing their WWJD bracelets when they destroyed the property of others
    Let's not turn this into a referendum on religion violating our constitutional rights.
    that is exactly what this is about
    and it is quite obvious you realize that, being able to zero in on it as you did
    because you cannot dissociate your objective position from your emotional one on this topic does not mean others should allow government to tolerate one belief system to the exclusion of others



    Yea, the atheists are the victims.
    until you can demonstrate that the Christian nativity scenes were similarly vandalized then it is established fact that the atheists/those-of-other-belief-systems were the victims of such vandalism

    They didn't get to protest the nativity scene. Boo hoo.
    allow me to re-phase your comment 'they did not get the equal opportunity to exercise and promote their belief system'. you know, that right granted by the Constitution

    What about the families that took their children down to that park for the last 60 years?
    what about them? do they not go to church to enjoy the Christmas themes in that appropriate NON-public setting?
    hell, go to the mall; no doubt that private setting will be overflowing with Christian themes while moneychanging. the spirit of Christmas you know
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    This is my point. They weren't there to spread a message about the season. .
    So?
    They just wanted to upstage the nativity scenes. It's pathetic
    Or maybe they wanted wanted to express their opinion just like the Christians are.

  4. #54
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    YO ATHEISTS - Why do you even care? You're not involved or affected. Why not just leave others alone?

  5. #55
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    absolutely, this is what you are posting about
    you want the Christians to have a super-priority in the public space
    you appear to embrace the right of Christians to promote their nativity scene without its being subject to competing displays from those whose views are not in line with the Christian beliefs
    and the government responded properly. because of such intolerance, no belief system gets to place their exhibit on public property


    don't forget the displays by others who hold views other than that held by the Christians. they were (properly) able to display, too
    at least until the vandals objected to their exhibits ... while not subjecting the nativity scene to the same vandalism. hope the vandals were not wearing their WWJD bracelets when they destroyed the property of others

    that is exactly what this is about
    and it is quite obvious you realize that, being able to zero in on it as you did
    because you cannot dissociate your objective position from your emotional one on this topic does not mean others should allow government to tolerate one belief system to the exclusion of others




    until you can demonstrate that the Christian nativity scenes were similarly vandalized then it is established fact that the atheists/those-of-other-belief-systems were the victims of such vandalism


    allow me to re-phase your comment 'they did not get the equal opportunity to exercise and promote their belief system'. you know, that right granted by the Constitution


    what about them? do they not go to church to enjoy the Christmas themes in that appropriate NON-public setting?
    hell, go to the mall; no doubt that private setting will be overflowing with Christian themes while moneychanging. the spirit of Christmas you know
    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So?


    Or maybe they wanted wanted to express their opinion just like the Christians are.
    Or maybe the Christians just wanted to spread a message of joy and the atheists wanted to be dicks because legally they could.
    Hail to the King baby!

  6. #56
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    YO ATHEISTS - Why do you even care? You're not involved or affected. Why not just leave others alone?
    Yo theists - you're not affected by an atheist display. You're not involved or affected. Why vandalize it?

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Or maybe the Christians just wanted to spread a message of joy and the atheists wanted to be dicks because legally they could.
    Even if true (and I don't think they wanted to dicks) so effing what? It is a free country with all having equality before the law. These Christians need to act like adults not bunch of cry babies.

  8. #58
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    absolutely, this is what you are posting about
    you want the Christians to have a super-priority in the public space
    you appear to embrace the right of Christians to promote their nativity scene without its being subject to competing displays from those whose views are not in line with the Christian beliefs
    and the government responded properly. because of such intolerance, no belief system gets to place their exhibit on public property
    The people in that area had a 60 year old tradition of celebrating a holiday in one park during one small time of the year.
    Damon Vix, who stepped in on it and "organized" the other atheists was just being a dick. Plain and simple. Does he have a right to be a dick. Yes he does, also plain and simple. Did he have to step in on a tradition that families have been passing down to their children every year for the past 60 years, no absolutely not, he could have just as easily have picked another time of the year or another park when/where people weren't trying to celebrate with their loved ones and if he did that than he would also be exercising his freedom of expression without being a dick.
    Last edited by Monserrat; 11-20-12 at 03:12 PM. Reason: sp
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    I am not arguing about what it was shut down. My argument is about the timing of the message. I completely understand why the city shut it down, but to put all of the blame on the vandalism is wrong.
    Not when the cause is the vandalism. Your argument currently is that atheists should keep their traps shut else their freedom of.expression is infringed upon. Thanks for the Catch 22, but I have a better one. Free country. They may have put one or two jerk signs up, but that does not excuse vandalism particularly against free expression.x
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #60
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Sure everyone has the freedom to be a dick, doesn't mean all of us are.
    That's true. But it also means there will be dicks. Can't vandalize on that premise.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •