Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 611

Thread: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

  1. #561
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Over 1/3 of donations in 2010 were given by religions or the religious. Also, do you yo uactually think that all other donations to non-religious institutions are given by non-religious people? That is, of course, ridiculous. I know many family members that are religious but give to non-religious organizations...
    My mom is religious and she supports Planned Parenthood.

  2. #562
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,044

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    In fact, charities which have traditionally identified as religious are realizing that labeling themselves as such is detrimental to their donations, that's a major reason Christian Children's Fund changed it's name to ChildFund in 2009.
    WRONG. It was China Childrens Fund from 1938 until the late 50's when they started getting more involved with the M.E. and started leaving China. The name changed to the Christian Childrens Fund then and only changed to ChildFund when the joined more than ten other charities of all types to form the ChildFund Alliance. It had nothing to do with worry about religion. They also created Child Alert.

    ChildFund History


    It's not really a Christian group, it's a charity which has little to do with religion.
    It never was... it was and always has been about helping children. From China and Korea to the USA to Africa and the Middle East.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #563
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Thanks for perfectly illustrating my original point in regards to attitude give us atheists a bad name. Tolerance man, you heard of it? Your inability to get past your personal bias does nothing but hurt your argument.
    Tolerance is only for the tolerable. You don't see people running around saying we ought to tolerate child molesters.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #564
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Tolerance is only for the tolerable. You don't see people running around saying we ought to tolerate child molesters.
    We have never agreed on religious issues but man that was just wrong. You are now equating religious folk being as intolerable as child molesters etc? Come on man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #565
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Are you really asking for a mormon who has given more than Bill Gates, the second most wealthy man in the entire world?
    I'm asking for any religious man who has given anywhere remotely in the same neighborhood, yes.

    If we look at the most generous people of 2011, of the top 5, Paul G. Allen, William S. Deitrich II, George Soros and Margaret A. Cargill were non-religious. That's 80%.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #566
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Over 1/3 of donations in 2010 were given by religions or the religious. Also, do you yo uactually think that all other donations to non-religious institutions are given by non-religious people? That is, of course, ridiculous. I know many family members that are religious but give to non-religious organizations...
    Which would leave 2/3 given by... what?

    Yeah... choose the wealthiest guy in the world... way to go.
    Second wealthiest, but yes, I'm aware. The fact remains, the richest people tend to be non-religious and also tend to give far more money away than the religious.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #567
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It never was... it was and always has been about helping children. From China and Korea to the USA to Africa and the Middle East.
    It used Christianity when it brought in more donations, now that it no longer does so, it dropped the name.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #568
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm asking for any religious man who has given anywhere remotely in the same neighborhood, yes.

    If we look at the most generous people of 2011, of the top 5, Paul G. Allen, William S. Deitrich II, George Soros and Margaret A. Cargill were non-religious. That's 80%.
    A few wealthy people who give money and are non-religious doesn't mean that non-religious people tend to be more giving. The facts show otherwise (which is what this off-topic discussion is about when you made the claim that "very few fail in those claims as badly as Christians." in reference to Christians expressing peace goodwill and charity). They don't "fail in those claims" when they are the ones shown to be more giving (again when it comes to donations to charities).



    You seem to have a bone to pick with religious people, that's fine it's your business as to why you don't like them. It doesn't however change the facts in regards to this matter in that religious people and red states are more giving when it comes to non-profit charitable organizations.

    Source:

    On average, those in the most religious fifth donate $3,000 to charity annually. Those in the most secular fifth give approximately $1,000. The story is the same when we consider charitable giving as a fraction of household income: By this measure, religious Americans are four times as generous as their secular neighbors, even as they are a little less affluent than secular Americans. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...375685394.html
    Last edited by Monserrat; 11-26-12 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added source
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  9. #569
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,574

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    "Most likely" is not fact and as I said just a guess.



    Again it is nothing but speculation on your part a guess. So no.
    It was celebrated before Christ. That's not speculation. Of course, they didn't call it Christmas, but December 25 was a religious holiday nevertheless.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #570
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It was celebrated before Christ. That's not speculation. Of course, they didn't call it Christmas, but December 25 was a religious holiday nevertheless.
    I know. Only talking about the US. I did mention earlier it's roots are from Rome, but December 25th was not a holiday that far back and meant little even before.

    The extrabiblical evidence from the first and second century is equally spare: There is no mention of birth celebrations in the writings of early Christian writers such as Irenaeus (c. 130–200) or Tertullian (c. 160–225). Origen of Alexandria (c. 165–264) goes so far as to mock Roman celebrations of birth anniversaries, dismissing them as “pagan” practices—a strong indication that Jesus’ birth was not marked with similar festivities at that place and time.1 As far as we can tell, Christmas was not celebrated at all at this point. - How December 25 Became Christmas - Biblical Archaeology Review

    I could be wrong but there seems to be nothing outside of maybe the Jewish holiday of Passover and the winter solstice around that date. Compared to the harvest celebration in November, those weren't all that, as far as we can tell historically speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •