Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 611

Thread: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

  1. #461
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I mean you don't think this...



    Co-opting a Christian emblem and making fun of it as well is a joyous Christmas message?
    It doesn't bother me. Their message is their choice. You don't get to tell them what they should have to put up just because you or others feel only certain things should go up for certain times of the year. If they wanted to put up a Halloween display, that would be their choice/right. They won the space fair and square.

    and frankly, if that message offends you, then you need to question why you are offended by it It merely asks for a little reason added to the season. It isn't vulgar or distasteful.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #462
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Then why all the attacks? They could have just got the spots and put up things like the Holiday greetings sign. Instead they put up things insulting to anyone who is religious as well. So it goes both ways.
    Attacks? You mean like holding up a sign that insists that "Jesus is the reason for the season" right next to the atheist displays? There are many who don't believe Jesus was born on Christmas, or even in December. There are many who celebrated the Solstice long before Christianity and many still do. There are other religions with holidays/celebrations during this time. Why do some Christians have to insist that the only reason is "Jesus"?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #463
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It doesn't bother me. Their message is their choice. You don't get to tell them what they should have to put up just because you or others feel only certain things should go up for certain times of the year. If they wanted to put up a Halloween display, that would be their choice/right. They won the space fair and square.

    and frankly, if that message offends you, then you need to question why you are offended by it It merely asks for a little reason added to the season. It isn't vulgar or distasteful.
    I merely asks for a little reason? That in itself is condescending and just as bad. Obviously you don't care if it is a positive message or not since you said you don't care either way. So how can you say it "sounds like a nice message to me."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #464
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Attacks? You mean like holding up a sign that insists that "Jesus is the reason for the season" right next to the atheist displays? There are many who don't believe Jesus was born on Christmas, or even in December. There are many who celebrated the Solstice long before Christianity and many still do. There are other religions with holidays/celebrations during this time. Why do some Christians have to insist that the only reason is "Jesus"?
    We know for a fact he was not. This does not change the fact this is a tradition going back to ancient Rome. Here in the US it has always been the reason for the season, so this is an insult now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #465
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Then why all the attacks? They could have just got the spots and put up things like the Holiday greetings sign. Instead they put up things insulting to anyone who is religious as well. So it goes both ways.
    Atheist insult Christians, period And vice versa. Now grow up and and like adults both you!

  6. #466
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Atheist insult Christians, period And vice versa. Now grow up and and like adults both you!
    That's about how I feel about this whole issue and all sides involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #467
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    We know for a fact he was not. This does not change the fact this is a tradition going back to ancient Rome. Here in the US it has always been the reason for the season, so this is an insult now?
    There was a woman holding up that sign about Jesus. It can be found by looking up some of the images on this issue.

    It is an insult to assume it is the only reason and has been so, even in the US.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #468
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There was a woman holding up that sign about Jesus. It can be found by looking up some of the images on this issue.

    It is an insult to assume it is the only reason and has been so, even in the US.
    So the truth is an insult? LMAO! OK. Well you win, I am done with this. I think Winston summed it up quite nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #469
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    As a matter of fact, I don't. I accepted without contention that SM charged fees for the spots, if for no other reason then it sounded reasonable. But if you want to play this game, I will. That statement assumes facts not in evidence so I reject them until the OP can prove it via reputable cites.
    Looking around, I can't find any explicit references to monies paid. I did find one article that described the process of handing out plots as an "auction" -- suggestive of a paid exchange, but again not explicit.

    I did, however find a number of descriptions for why unattended displays were banned in general, and it had nothing to do with the cost of maintaining the park:

    Some council members said that, although they personally enjoyed seeing the displays, they wanted to head off increasingly rancorous confrontations over freedom of speech and religion that would cost the city time and money.
    Santa Monica to ban private, unattended displays at park - Los Angeles Times

    The city successfully argued before a judge that the process of handing out plots and cleaning up afterwards costs money -- but as I've shown above that wasn't the driving force behind ending the practice, as you had contended.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #470
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I merely asks for a little reason? That in itself is condescending and just as bad. Obviously you don't care if it is a positive message or not since you said you don't care either way. So how can you say it "sounds like a nice message to me."
    I don't care. I see the problem as being solely about the vandalism. I said in my first post I would have done things differently.

    The post I showed that you quoted and commented on was directed at someone who tried to say that Christians are the only ones who put out messages of peace, joy, love, etc. I was showing a sign from the other side that was vandalized that was loving and you countered with a sign that although not a message of love or anything like that, still isn't vulgar or really insulting unless you are pretty sensitive.

    They are putting out their message. I would have stuck with other, secular messages if it were me putting it up, but it wasn't me. It was another group who choose something more controversial, but that is still their right no matter how distasteful you and others may find it. It is still their right.

    And the big problem is that a) this decision by the counsel is being challenged on some stupid basis of a right that doesn't exist (you do not have the right to force a city park to allow you to put up displays, particularly unattended, which could cost them money in trying to prevent vandalism) and b) the article tried to blame everything on the atheists displays, when even if they were more subtle and all were like the one I did post, going off of that and a couple of other photos of the vandalism I have seen, they still would have been vandalized and the exact same actions taken.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •