Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 611

Thread: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

  1. #331
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    It stops with not putting any religious symbols in a public park.
    Or if you do don't be surprised if others want to express their own opinions as well.

  2. #332
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No one has an issue with exorcising one's rights. All we are saying is you don't have to be a dick about it. Especially during the holidays.
    That is not all your saying. Is it that tough to recognize your own arguments? You blamed them for the.vandalism they endured and claim they are partly responsible for it. That's a bit more than saying they shouldn't be dicks. They exercised a right, nothing more. You do not like how they exercised it and call them dicks and claim they are responsible for the cancellation, which they were not. That's your argument. And it's complete BS.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #333
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No one has an issue with exorcising one's rights. All we are saying is you don't have to be a dick about it. Especially during the holidays.
    If I exorcise your rights, can I still exercise mine?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court



    Just so I get this right, these churches are suing the government claiming their rights to freedom of speech were violated because the government wouldn't provide them a soapbox and place in the park?

    Found this gem lower down...



    So the city ended the practice because the religulous were vandalizing the other displays.
    Individuals are entitled to freedom of speech and expression, and individuals makeup the government.

    Officially the government(s) cannot endorse a particular religion and they don't... If anything the government(s) are prohibiting individuals from their First Amendment right.

  5. #335
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,538

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That is not all your saying. Is it that tough to recognize your own arguments? You blamed them for the.vandalism they endured and claim they are partly responsible for it.
    I did not blame anyone for the vandalism. Please point out where I said anyone was responsible? In fact I have repeated over and over we don't know who is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's a bit more than saying they shouldn't be dicks.
    If I had actually said that you would be correct, but I didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    They exercised a right, nothing more. You do not like how they exercised it and call them dicks and claim they are responsible for the cancellation, which they were not.
    Yes I called them dicks, because they were. I said they were part of the reason yes, I did not say they were responsible. Again please point out where I said this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's your argument. And it's complete BS.
    What you have stated is not my argument, it is your rebuttal that is flawed. It has nothing at all to do with my argument. That my friend is complete BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #336
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,538

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If I exorcise your rights, can I still exercise mine?
    No. Because you cannot exorcise my rights, lol.

    Seriously yes you can. As with all things though with freedom comes responsibility. Just because you have the freedom to do something, does not mean you should. If you do, and are a dick about, rest assured someone will say something about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #337
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No. Because you cannot exorcise my rights, lol.

    Seriously yes you can. As with all things though with freedom comes responsibility. Just because you have the freedom to do something, does not mean you should. If you do, and are a dick about, rest assured someone will say something about it.
    True, and, my little pun about your unfortunate misspelling aside, the fact is that either we all have rights, or none of us has rights.

    So, if I did exorcise someone else's rights, I couldn't exercise mine either.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #338
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Just because you have the freedom to do something, does not mean you should.
    But it's not up to you to force or decide what they do if they have the freedom and legality to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    If you do, and are a dick about, rest assured someone will say something about it.
    Noone has a problem with saying some about it, but in this case, some people decided to vandalize instead. Exercising freedom of speech to voice against someone elses freedom of speech is not the problem, the illegal activity of vandalizing is and the vandals are the SOLE REASON this was cancelled. No fault is with the atheists when what they did was legal.

  9. #339
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Guys, the point Blackdog and Zyphlin are trying to get across is simple. If a kid calls another kid a faggot, and the kid who got called a faggot decides to burn down the other kid's house, you can - through a lot of mental acrobatics - find a 'reason' to blame the mean kid. Ignore as much as you can that it takes sociopath-like behavior to have your beliefs questioned and react violently. Ignore that the forums used were open to the public. Ignore that vandalism in question is the only issue - you were mean and well, it's somehow your fault your house got burned down.

    What else can we use that kind of logic for?

    Dress seductively? It's 'part of the reason' you got raped.
    Buy a nice watch? It's 'part of the reason' you got robbed and murdered.
    Go to church? It's 'part of the reason' your kids got molested.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-24-12 at 02:10 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #340
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    These atheist are what give us a bad name. You can't stand to see a nativity scene? Really? You going to get Christmas banned altogether? The whole holiday is based on pagan foundations, so to fight any part of the holiday is to effectively fight the entire holiday. It's silly, it's petty, and it's not what any decent atheist would/should do. Pathetic.
    The country couldnt afford to get rid of christmas...the economy, especially retail couldnt take that blow to its profits

Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •