Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 611

Thread: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

  1. #321
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    In the Israeli City od Nazareth it is an offence to display anything in public relating to Christianity. This includes Christmas trees, nativity displays and crucifixes etc.

    A rabbi visiting NY about a decade ago, complained about a Christmas tree being displayed at JFK airport, and authorities had to dismantle it.

    These anti-Christian actions are very common in the USA

    In many Isreli cities Jewish Orthodox followers burn copies of the Gospels in the streets.

  2. #322
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No one has an issue with exorcising one's rights. All we are saying is you don't have to be a dick about it. Especially during the holidays.
    And saying it and saying it and saying it and saying it and saying it...
    Fine, we get get it,we get it.
    Some of you don't like people acting like dicks during the holidays.

    In response to that it seems quite a few of us are saying that people don't have to be a bunch of whiny p-word for kitty-kats just because some people act like dicks during the holidays.
    I would suggest ignoring the dicks instead of vandalizing their property.But that's just me.

    Last time I checked,there was no law requiring people to be of "good cheer" between Thanksgiving and New Years Day.
    Here's a novel idea.Instead of questioning the motives of the people who put up the displays they had every right to put up,how about the criminals who vandalized those displays be found and arrested?

    Or does that just not matter to some of you?

  3. #323
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    I would suggest ignoring the dicks instead of vandalizing their property.But that's just me.
    You have no idea who did the vandalizing so that is neither here or there. Unless you maybe have psychic powers we don't know about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    Last time I checked,there was no law requiring people to be of "good cheer" between Thanksgiving and New Years Day.
    No one has suggested anyone should.

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    Here's a novel idea.Instead of questioning the motives of the people who put up the displays they had every right to put up,how about the criminals who vandalized those displays be found and arrested?
    Well since you seem to know who did the vandalizing. Why don't you call the police and let them know?

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    Or does that just not matter to some of you?
    Until someone knows who did it, it makes no difference now does it? For all we know it could have been atheists who sole intention was to sabotage the whole thing just to make religious people look bad. Now I don't believe that, but the fact is we don't know.

    This is the end does not excuse people being dicks for no other reason than they don't like a display with religious connotations in a public park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #324
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You have no idea who did the vandalizing so that is neither here or there. Unless you maybe have psychic powers we don't know about?
    My psychic powers tells me there seems to be people here who are more interested in calling atheist dicks then seeing vandals pay for their crime.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No one has suggested anyone should.
    The only things being suggested is that "atheists shouldn't be dicks during the holidays".
    Over and over and over and over and over again
    So whats the problem then.A bunch of displays got vandalized.A crime was committed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Well since you seem to know who did the vandalizing. Why don't you call the police and let them know?
    I don't know who did it,but if I did,it would be more important for me to call the cops than constantly complain about atheists being dicks on this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post


    Until someone knows who did it, it makes no difference now does it?
    Maybe not to you,but to the victims of the crime it may be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    For all we know it could have been atheists who sole intention was to sabotage the whole thing just to make religious people look bad. Now I don't believe that, but the fact is we don't know.
    Lets not muddy the waters with tinfoil hat conspiracies,whether you believe it or not.
    Plenty of religious people throughout history have made themselves look bad without help from atheists.
    Pat Robertson has been a comedic goldmine for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    This is the end does not excuse people being dicks for no other reason than they don't like a display with religious connotations in a public park.
    You keep saying that.
    So what?
    That's their right to have an opinion.Even if you don't like it.
    Just as it is your right to have an opinion.
    And nobody is required by law to like yours,
    There's no excuse for a lot of human behaviour,but unless it crosses a line into being a criminal act that's just something people are going to have to deal with.
    So what if they were being dicks about it.It still isn't a crime.

  5. #325
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    My psychic powers tells me there seems to be people here who are more interested in calling atheist dicks then seeing vandals pay for their crime.


    The only things being suggested is that "atheists shouldn't be dicks during the holidays".
    Over and over and over and over and over again
    So whats the problem then.A bunch of displays got vandalized.A crime was committed.



    I don't know who did it,but if I did,it would be more important for me to call the cops than constantly complain about atheists being dicks on this thread.


    Maybe not to you,but to the victims of the crime it may be.


    Lets not muddy the waters with tinfoil hat conspiracies,whether you believe it or not.
    Plenty of religious people throughout history have made themselves look bad without help from atheists.
    Pat Robertson has been a comedic goldmine for years.

    You keep saying that.
    So what?
    That's their right to have an opinion.Even if you don't like it.
    Just as it is your right to have an opinion.
    And nobody is required by law to like yours,
    There's no excuse for a lot of human behaviour,but unless it crosses a line into being a criminal act that's just something people are going to have to deal with.
    So what if they were being dicks about it.It still isn't a crime.
    The crime is irrelevant to the comments until it is known who actually did the crime. Until then the only fact involved is that the atheists who put up the offensive signs were being dicks, period. There was nothing offensive at all in the religious displays, nothing.

    You again have shown a perfect example of what we are talking about. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #326
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The crime is irrelevant to the comments until it is known who actually did the crime. Until then the only fact involved is that the atheists who put up the offensive signs were being dicks, period.
    That's your opinion.
    I may or may not share it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    There was nothing offensive at all in the religious displays, nothing.
    And again whats your point. Or do you even have one beside "the atheist were being dicks".
    Not reason enough to vandalize their displays.

    And if they were dicks.so what?
    Free Country,Blackdog,Free Country.
    Like it or not that is just the way it is.
    I wouldn't want it any other way.
    I like living in a country were even speech that may be offensive to some is protected under the Law.
    If you found what the atheists put up to be offensive that is both your right and your problem,not mine.
    I really couldn't care less if you do or don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You again have shown a perfect example of what we are talking about. Thank you.
    A proud American exercising his First Amendment Right to express his Opinion in a open forum whether you like it or not,whether you approve or not,whether it offends you or not,without needing your permission to do so.And I've broken no rules here in doing so.
    You're welcome.
    Last edited by Verthaine; 11-24-12 at 02:23 AM.

  7. #327
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    That's your opinion.
    I may or may not share it.
    OK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    And again whats your point. Or do you even have one beside "the atheist were being dicks".
    Not reason enough to vandalize their displays.
    Actually you probably did not see my initial post. Both sides were being asses as I see it. And again we don't know who vandalized the displays although I suspect it was most likely angry Christians. I can understand there anger, but not the vandalism if they indeed did so.

    Again both sides escalated it to the point of being childish in the end. As for the crime itself. It is no more important than political signs being stolen in every election cycle. A misdemeanor crime of vandalism is far from serious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    And if they were dicks.so what?
    Free Country,Blackdog,Free Country.
    Like it or not that is just the way it is.
    I wouldn't want it any other way.
    I like living in a country were even speech that may be offensive to some is protected under the Law.
    If you found what the atheists put up to be offensive that is both your right and your problem,not mine.
    I really couldn't care less if you do or don't.
    Then why do you care so much if people have a difference of opinion? I mean in one breath you say you don't care, then in another you say you are sick of it and people need to stop. So which is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    A proud American exercising his First Amendment Right to express his Opinion in a open forum whether you like it or not,whether you approve or not,whether it offends you or not,without needing your permission to do so.And I've broken no rules here in doing so.
    You're welcome.
    Where did the proud American thing come from? And as for the rest, I have no idea where the needing permission came from as I said nothing even remotely applicable. I also have no idea where the rules being broken came from as again I said nothing even remotely related?

    So I guess I will say again people don't have to be a dicks about religion, holidays or anything else people may or may not be or agree with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #328
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,832

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    In the Israeli City od Nazareth it is an offence to display anything in public relating to Christianity. This includes Christmas trees, nativity displays and crucifixes etc.

    A rabbi visiting NY about a decade ago, complained about a Christmas tree being displayed at JFK airport, and authorities had to dismantle it.

    These anti-Christian actions are very common in the USA

    In many Isreli cities Jewish Orthodox followers burn copies of the Gospels in the streets.

    Nice list of anti-Semitic claims with little substance

    It wasn't in "NY about a decade ago" but in Seattle about six years past. And it was due to a misunderstanding
    Christmas trees returned to Sea-Tac Airport

    The Christmas spirit has returned to Sea-Tac Airport.

    The Port of Seattle, which had been battered internationally for removing 14 Christmas trees last week in response to a rabbi's threat of a federal lawsuit, began reinstalling the displays Monday night.

    In Nazareth, it is only Christmas trees that are banned and it appears to be the work of the Mayor and nobody else
    Christmas Trees Are Still Banned in Nazareth Illit

    That Christmas tree ban that Shimon Gapso, the mayor of the Israeli town of Nazareth Illit, enacted last year still stands. Around holiday time last year, Gapso proclaimed public display of the Christian symbol as provocative and banned the trees from public squares. "Nazareth Illit is a Jewish city and it will not happen -- not this year and not next year, so long as I am a mayor," he told the AFP. And he wasn't lying.
    It is the 'ultra' Orthodox Jewish groups that refuse to join the 21st C, Hell they don't like many centuries after about the 10th
    Israel: ‘Burn your iPhones’, warns ultra-orthodox rabbi

    An influential ultra-Orthodox Israeli rabbi ordered his followers this week to burn their iPhones, the latest move in a campaign by the insular community to encourage its members to keep the outside world – and specifically the Internet – at bay.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #329
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Nice list of anti-Semitic claims with little substance
    How do you know so much about these things?

    Surely you are not suggesting that any discussion or criticism of Israel or Jewish practices is anti-semitic by definition?

    So when extremist Islamic people speak or do things they are terrorists and derranged lunatics

    But when a person highlights the actions of Orthodox Jews burning the Gospels etc (or God forbid not even recognising the state of Israel) then these people are merely Ultra Orthodox Jews and any mention of them violates the MORAL CRIME OF BEING ANTI-SEMITIC)

    You are a very funny person

  10. #330
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Never said that, my point is where does it stop?
    It stops with not putting any religious symbols in a public park.

Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •