Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 611

Thread: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

  1. #311
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Legal rights are rights, doesn't always make it right. You dig?
    It is not wrong to exercise rights. I'm not sure why people all of a sudden have an issue with the exercise of rights.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #312
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    You are clearly showing the fact that you are biased. Kind of hard to argue objectively when you have your blinders on.
    Can you prove the nativity story is a myth? If you can do that then I might listen to your argument. I say this as an atheist.

    No one is saying the nativity scene had any privelage or were entitled to being the only display. But the atheist displays were not in the spirit of the season (not all of them), they were merely there to be inflammatory.

    Explain to me how the atheist taking over a display celebrating the season to spread their myth message is not a dick move? Were they within their rights? Yes. Was their intentions good? No.
    What did that poor long dead horse ever do to you that you feel the need to continually flog it?
    Blah,blah,blah,the atheists did a dick move blah,blah,blah.
    So what?
    I hope you are not using the "She was wearing a miniskirt,Your Honor,so she deserved to be raped" argument?

    Doesn't really matter what the motivations of the atheists were,they weren't the ones who committed a crime.
    The person or persons who vandalized the display did.

    Which is more important,punishing people who express views YOU don't like,or punishing the vandals who committed a crime and ruined
    it for everybody else?

  3. #313
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    What did that poor long dead horse ever do to you that you feel the need to continually flog it?
    Blah,blah,blah,the atheists did a dick move blah,blah,blah.
    So what?
    I hope you are not using the "She was wearing a miniskirt,Your Honor,so she deserved to be raped" argument?

    Doesn't really matter what the motivations of the atheists were,they weren't the ones who committed a crime.
    The person or persons who vandalized the display did.

    Which is more important,punishing people who express views YOU don't like,or punishing the vandals who committed a crime and ruined
    it for everybody else?
    Um, did you miss where I said I shared the views because I AM an atheist? Their intentions is where I am saying they were wrong.
    Hail to the King baby!

  4. #314
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Um, did you miss where I said I shared the views because I AM an atheist? Their intentions is where I am saying they were wrong.
    So what if their "intentions were wrong"?
    That is matter of personal opinion,not fact.
    As an atheist surely you can understand the inherent danger of labeling speech,"right or wrong"?

    Lots of people (including myself) find the signs used by the Westboro Baptist Church in their "protests" to be highly offensive.
    But no one has the right to walk up to them and rip the signs from their hands.

    Their displays may have been in poor taste,but that isn't a crime.
    Now,I am not accusing you personally of this,but there seems to be an undercurrent in this tread among some of the posters here of "making criticism of religion an illegal act".

  5. #315
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    So what if their "intentions were wrong"?
    That is matter of personal opinion,not fact.
    As an atheist surely you can understand the inherent danger of labeling speech,"right or wrong"?

    Lots of people (including myself) find the signs used by the Westboro Baptist Church in their "protests" to be highly offensive.
    But no one has the right to walk up to them and rip the signs from their hands.

    Their displays may have been in poor taste,but that isn't a crime.
    Now,I am not accusing you personally of this,but there seems to be an undercurrent in this tread among some of the posters here of "making criticism of religion an illegal act".
    I agree with this. It is my opinion and nothing else. I understand the danger of labeling speech "right or wrong", I am not trying to argue that in this case. It's merely my belief that this was an inappropriate time for the displays and it hurts the message that we as atheists are trying to relay. Again, just what I believe.
    Hail to the King baby!

  6. #316
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    So what if their "intentions were wrong"?
    That is matter of personal opinion,not fact.
    As an atheist surely you can understand the inherent danger of labeling speech,"right or wrong"?
    There's nothing wrong with calling someone out on being an asshole. Just because it's within someone's legal right to do something doesn't mean that they should. There was absolutely no reason for Vix to invade a 60 year old tradition where religious people were trying to celebrate with their families in peace. If things were different and it was Muslims gathering in peace I wouldn't gather my friends to try to get spots in order to post posters saying that Islam was false. I may have the legal right to do so but I wouldn't do it because I'm not an asshole at least not to people just trying to practice their faith in peace.

    Lots of people (including myself) find the signs used by the Westboro Baptist Church in their "protests" to be highly offensive.
    But no one has the right to walk up to them and rip the signs from their hands.


    Their displays may have been in poor taste,but that isn't a crime.
    Now,I am not accusing you personally of this,but there seems to be an undercurrent in this tread among some of the posters here of "making criticism of religion an illegal act".
    I don't think I've seen any poster here in this thread who thinks criticism of religion should be illegal.
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  7. #317
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,488

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It is not wrong to exercise rights. I'm not sure why people all of a sudden have an issue with the exercise of rights.
    No one has an issue with exorcising one's rights. All we are saying is you don't have to be a dick about it. Especially during the holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #318
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    The sense of entitlement by Christians is awesome.

  9. #319
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No one has an issue with exorcising one's rights. All we are saying is you don't have to be a dick about it. Especially during the holidays.
    If you don't want any difference of opinion or even criticism, keep your mythological diorama performance art on your church lawns above the graves of your lawn jockeys and cotton pickin' slaves.

  10. #320
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,488

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    If you don't want any difference of opinion or even criticism, keep your mythological diorama performance art on your church lawns above the graves of your lawn jockeys and cotton pickin' slaves.
    This is exactly what people are talking about. Thanks for a perfect example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •