Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 611

Thread: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

  1. #301
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    These atheist are what give us a bad name. You can't stand to see a nativity scene? Really? You going to get Christmas banned altogether? The whole holiday is based on pagan foundations, so to fight any part of the holiday is to effectively fight the entire holiday. It's silly, it's petty, and it's not what any decent atheist would/should do. Pathetic.
    Atheists are not the ones who are attacking christianity

    Don't you know who hates Jesus the most?

    Think carefully they are right under your noses

  2. #302
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,179

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Because some parent was offended. They believe Halloween to be satanic and they didn't want their kid exposed to that.
    Ironically, probably the same parents who are horrified that there's no more public Nativity display.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #303
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Because some parent was offended. They believe Halloween to be satanic and they didn't want their kid exposed to that.
    That's really sad. Halloween was my favorite holiday, ghost stories, candy and dress up...can't go wrong there.
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  4. #304
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    You're obviously looking at this from completely biased glasses.
    Yeah, if you call insistence that facts matter to be "completely biased."

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Some of us are dicks and don't mind canceling a nativity scene tradition
    For the upteenth time: the atheists involved didn't do ANYTHING AT ALL to the nativity scene, and the city government -- not the atheists -- canceled ALL the displays.

    Anyone home? Are the facts getting through to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    that has been going on for 60 years,
    It was a simple accident of history and privilege which led to the nativity scene being on display for 60 years. NO ONE is under any obligation, legally or ethically, to refrain from bidding/applying for a display space just because some group has lucked out for such a long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    and some of us respect others enough to just ignore the scene as we walk by.
    Once again, massive hypocrisy. If atheists -- or even just the nonreligious and other-religious -- can be called upon to just ignore the scene, then kindly explain why those promoting the nativity scene are magically incapable of doing the same, hmm?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    I have no problem with the Happy Festivus signs and other seasonal signs the atheists put up. But to put a sign denouncing Christianity right next to a nativity scene is petty, pathetic, and something we as human being should be above doing.
    WHAT sign denouncing Christianity?!? I asked you for this before but you didn't give any specific. IF you are referring to a sign identifying the nativity story as a myth (along with several other narratives), then your objection is baseless. Identifying a myth as a myth is not an attack, any more than having a mythical religious display next to a display in favor of accurate identifications of myths is an attack.

    "The nativity story is a myth" is not an attack, any more than saying "elephants are mammals" is an attack.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    What next? Follow Santa in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade with a big sign telling the children he isn't real?
    Irrelevant and speculative. Try focusing on the actual case under discussion.
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  5. #305
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Ironically, probably the same parents who are horrified that there's no more public Nativity display.
    Doesn't make either one right.
    Hail to the King baby!

  6. #306
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    Yeah, if you call insistence that facts matter to be "completely biased."



    For the upteenth time: the atheists involved didn't do ANYTHING AT ALL to the nativity scene, and the city government -- not the atheists -- canceled ALL the displays.

    Anyone home? Are the facts getting through to you?



    It was a simple accident of history and privilege which led to the nativity scene being on display for 60 years. NO ONE is under any obligation, legally or ethically, to refrain from bidding/applying for a display space just because some group has lucked out for such a long time.



    Once again, massive hypocrisy. If atheists -- or even just the nonreligious and other-religious -- can be called upon to just ignore the scene, then kindly explain why those promoting the nativity scene are magically incapable of doing the same, hmm?!?



    WHAT sign denouncing Christianity?!? I asked you for this before but you didn't give any specific. IF you are referring to a sign identifying the nativity story as a myth (along with several other narratives), then your objection is baseless. Identifying a myth as a myth is not an attack, any more than having a mythical religious display next to a display in favor of accurate identifications of myths is an attack.

    "The nativity story is a myth" is not an attack, any more than saying "elephants are mammals" is an attack.



    Irrelevant and speculative. Try focusing on the actual case under discussion.
    You are clearly showing the fact that you are biased. Kind of hard to argue objectively when you have your blinders on.
    Can you prove the nativity story is a myth? If you can do that then I might listen to your argument. I say this as an atheist.

    No one is saying the nativity scene had any privelage or were entitled to being the only display. But the atheist displays were not in the spirit of the season (not all of them), they were merely there to be inflammatory.

    Explain to me how the atheist taking over a display celebrating the season to spread their myth message is not a dick move? Were they within their rights? Yes. Was their intentions good? No.
    Hail to the King baby!

  7. #307
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Comparing these people exercising their rights to the Civil Rights or womans suffrage movement is a joke.
    Rights are rights. That's it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #308
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Because some parent was offended. They believe Halloween to be satanic and they didn't want their kid exposed to that.
    You sure it wasn't the atheist's fault?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #309
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Rights are rights. That's it.
    Legal rights are rights, doesn't always make it right. You dig?
    Hail to the King baby!

  10. #310
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You sure it wasn't the atheist's fault?
    I don't care who's fault it is.
    Hail to the King baby!

Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •