Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 611

Thread: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

  1. #281
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court



    Just so I get this right, these churches are suing the government claiming their rights to freedom of speech were violated because the government wouldn't provide them a soapbox and place in the park?

    Liberal athiests just don't understand.

    Putting nativity scenes in front of every church in America just isn't enough.

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post

    Putting nativity scenes in front of every church in America just isn't enough.
    I don't blame them, nobody would see them.

  3. #283
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I didn't play the race card. Please try to be honest. And everything I stated is correct as you have previously stated in your argument. It is why you were so anxious to dismiss rights. Nothing I have written is inconsistent with what you have tried to argue.
    Yes you played the race card with the whole "blacks voting" thing. I am being perfectly honest, my argument has nothing to do with a misdemeanor crime of vandalism. As I have already stated we don't know who did it, not a clue as no evidence exist. Now it may have been Christians, but maybe not. It mite have been atheists trying to make Christians look bad. We don't know. This is why my argument has nothing to do with the law or free speech or any other nonsense not based on a little thing we call facts.

    Now that we have set forth we have no idea who vandalized. I go back to my original statement which has nothing to do with the law, rights or any other legal aspect...

    Both sides were being childish asses.

    As soon as you know who did the vandalism, come back and see me, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #284
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    LOL, I wonder if most Americans know that the so-called 'Pilgrim Fathers' whose survival you celebrate today (it is Thursday the 22nd in the antipodes,) were against celebrating Christmas, and had banned the holiday?
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  5. #285
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    This kind of crap has been going on for decades. When it comes to religious displays on public property, everyone wants their piece of the pie but doesn't want to share. Has been that way since I can remember, and will most likely always be that was until all public entities... states, counties, municipalities... finally get the message, throw up their hands and ban any and all religious displays on public property forever and ever, amen.

    Religious or non-religious, there is always a significant percentage of self-indulgent asswipes who want everything for themselves, and nothing for anyone else. Nothing to see here, move along.

  6. #286
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Blatant personal attack and hyperbole, period.
    bull****



    Please don't insult my intelligence.
    only because it would become an infraction
    Again they were both party's to it, period. One instigated
    there was NO instigation
    those who vandalized were unable to control themselves
    that failure does not cause the atheists to become responsible in any way for the vandalism perpetrated
    ... and the other broke the law. If you can't see the reality, that it's on you.
    you are making stuff up
    had the vandals controlled their response to the legitimate exhibits of those having another belief system there would be no situation to be posting about
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #287
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    why do the Christians insist on publicly promoting their belief system
    attempting to convince people that the virgin birth story is possible
    why do that not simply take comfort in the knowledge that their beliefs work for them without having the need to expose their belief system to others

    so, why are atheists, or wiccans, or followers of shinto, or subscribers of tao, or any other non-mainstream belief system not entitled to the SAME opportunity to share the stories of their belief system as the Christians feel entitled to promote
    Atheists don't promote anything. They simply seek to disprove everyone else. That's my point. Why do that? You don't see a widespread trend of Christian groups putting up signs that say "Islam is false" or "Buddhist's are stupid" nor do you see those religions say that about each other or Christianity. That's ALL you see some atheists doing. In addition, no one is trying to keep any atheists from displaying their crap. The Christians in Santa Monica sued the local gov't for the right to put THEIR signs up. They never said they wanted the atheists signs down and in fact said they believed the atheists had just as much right to put theirs up as they did.
    I don't see where you are pulling from my post that I believe atheists, wiccans, etc aren't allowed or entitled to promote their belief system (or lack thereof for atheists) either. I never said that. However, I think it's very hypocritical of atheists to claim they are offended by how much Christians put their beliefs out there when they do the same. They have no ground to stand on when they take the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #288
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    bull****

    only because it would become an infraction

    there was NO instigation
    those who vandalized were unable to control themselves
    that failure does not cause the atheists to become responsible in any way for the vandalism perpetrated

    you are making stuff up
    had the vandals controlled their response to the legitimate exhibits of those having another belief system there would be no situation to be posting about
    Out of all the posts this is the one you respond to, lol!

    #1 Fact: Yes it was, and it was reported as that, it is baiting at minimum.
    #2 Fact: They put up signs insulting all religions. Yes instigation even if not illegal in any way.
    #3 Fact: I did not say anything about atheists being responsible, nothing at all. I said the ones who put up the signs, as they are part of the problem.
    #4 Please feel free to point out 1 thing I have made up. I know you can't but hell I gave others the opportunity and they fell flat as well.

    #5 Last but not least...

    We have no idea who the vandals were, none. So your assumption is based on an unknown quantity. That makes your info wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #289
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Out of all the posts this is the one you respond to, lol!

    #1 Fact: Yes it was, and it was reported as that, it is baiting at minimum.
    #2 Fact: They put up signs insulting all religions. Yes instigation even if not illegal in any way.
    #3 Fact: I did not say anything about atheists being responsible, nothing at all. I said the ones who put up the signs, as they are part of the problem.
    #4 Please feel free to point out 1 thing I have made up. I know you can't but hell I gave others the opportunity and they fell flat as well.

    #5 Last but not least...

    We have no idea who the vandals were, none. So your assumption is based on an unknown quantity. That makes your info wrong.
    #1 Obviously not and accusations of such are.nothing more than dishonest deflection
    #2 Freedom of expression. There is no right to not be offended so get over it. Rights are rights and to adhere to the principles of freedom you up hold this. One exercising rights is not subject to reprisal just because another may not like what is being said.
    #3 The atheists put up the signs and you are blaming them for the actions against them
    #4 you are inventing blame for those exercising rights when they has nothing to do with the vandalism
    #5 has nothing to do with anything that has been said and is mere deflection.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #290
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    #2 Fact: They put up signs insulting all religions.

    What sign?

Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •