Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 611

Thread: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

  1. #211
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I see malice in what the atheists are trying to do. There's no hate involved in putting up a nativity scene. No doubt you'll try to find some though.
    And there is no hate in atheist wishing people a happy holiday.

  2. #212
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    And there is no hate in atheist wishing people a happy holiday.
    BTW Happy Holidays

    From an agnostic

  3. #213
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,130

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    It's not just this post rocketman, your history points to it. There are others on here that I generally disagree with but they do occasionally make good points. You however...
    So you're going to add to it by making a charge you can't support? Let's see some proof that I support vandalizing nativity scenes. I'm ready when you're ready to prove it.

    I would say the same about you, there are in fact, many conservatives who I respect. Not the full of **** ones who construct strawmen, however.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #214
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    And there is no hate in atheist wishing people a happy holiday.
    I see no hate in saying "happy holidays" at a place that is purpoesfully meant to be for holiday decorations

    I see no hate in saying "happy solstice" at a place that is purpoesfully meant to be for holiday decorations

    I don't even see hate in putting up a Santa whose hat says "Reasoned Greetings" at a place that is purpoesfully meant to be for holiday decorations

    However I do feel there is a certain amount of hate involved in terms of signs declaring Santa a myth or degrading the notion of religion at a place that is purpoesfully meant to be for holiday decorations.

    Going out of your way to try and gather up as many people as possible to purposefully grab as many of the spots as you can, in hopes of hindering others from having a chance to put up holiday decorations, and then to put up signs that have nothing to do with celebrating the holidays at all but rather do nothing but criticize religion and/or outright working to specifically and purposefully spoil peoples holiday seasons is, if not "hateful", completely and utterly dickish.

    As said numerous times before...people are free to be dicks

    And I'm free to call them colossal flaming dicks

  5. #215
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,130

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I see no hate in saying "happy holidays" at a place that is purpoesfully meant to be for holiday decorations

    I see no hate in saying "happy solstice" at a place that is purpoesfully meant to be for holiday decorations

    I don't even see hate in putting up a Santa whose hat says "Reasoned Greetings" at a place that is purpoesfully meant to be for holiday decorations

    However I do feel there is a certain amount of hate involved in terms of signs declaring Santa a myth or degrading the notion of religion at a place that is purpoesfully meant to be for holiday decorations.

    Going out of your way to try and gather up as many people as possible to purposefully grab as many of the spots as you can, in hopes of hindering others from having a chance to put up holiday decorations, and then to put up signs that have nothing to do with celebrating the holidays at all but rather do nothing but criticize religion and/or outright working to specifically and purposefully spoil peoples holiday seasons is, if not "hateful", completely and utterly dickish.

    As said numerous times before...people are free to be dicks

    And I'm free to call them colossal flaming dicks
    That's fine, you're free to call them dicks when they're being dicks which they clearly were. You are not, however, free to vandalize their property and then cry when the city decides not to give you the opportunity anymore.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #216
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    You are argument has nothing to do with my argument. It doesn't matter to me whether or not it was a nativity scene, if it was Santa and his reindeer, or some naked wood nymph celebrating her pagan holiday. The point I am arguing is this isn't free speech, it's not about giving the atheist the same rights as anyone else,
    But it IS. You are persistently arguing in favor of SPECIAL privileges to use a public space, rather than equal rights to a public space.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    but this is a bad atheist thinking that they are so ****ing entitled to the same thing as everyone else,
    The atheists in question aren't acting entitled at all. Their actions contested another group which IS acting entitled (and your position is, in effect, supporting that false sense of entitlement).

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    they don't give a **** what they ruin.
    The only major obvious problem with that being that they didn't ruin anything at all.

    Get this through your head. In actual FACT, the atheists didn't vandalize, destroy, or remove any part of anyone else's display.

    Is this getting through? Anyone home?

    If, by YOUR reasoning, the mere presence of a contrary viewpoint somehow "ruins" a display...then we can just as easily say that the nativity display "ruins" the atheist display by its mere presence.

    If you don't see that implication, then that indicates that you are continuing to treat the nativity scene (despite your protestation) as being entitled to special protections or insulation from contrary views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    But what I won't do is ruin a traditional Christmas display
    NO ONE RUINED THE NATIVITY DISPLAY. You keep posting as if something was done to the display. That simply didn't happen. The nativity display was completely unharmed. Later, it was removed along with ALL the displays in response to vandalism against the display of the atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    because my ****ing feelers got hurt every time I walked by the park and saw a nativity scene. What next? Take a lollipop from a child because it's shaped like a cross.
    NOTHING WAS TAKEN. Again, your posts are becoming more hysterical despite clear access to information which disproves your claims.

    The Facts:
    Multiple displays by atheists were vandalized.
    The nativity display was unharmed.
    The displays -- all of them -- were removed by order of the city government in response to vandalism against the atheist displays.

    Your Position:
    It was a "dick move" on the part of the atheists to "ruin" the Nativity display.

    Problem:
    The atheists *didn't do anything at all to the nativity display*.

    Do you see the disconnect here?
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  7. #217
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Except it wasn't the atheists who got the displays canceled. It was the folk who vandalized the atheist's display. So your anger is misplaced.
    My anger is not displaced. Both party's were idiot's. Fact is it could have just been some children who did the vandalizing because they have Christian parents. Fact is we don't know. So yes both party's are to blame, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #218
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It's important to remember the facts here - there were various spaces and the city held a lottery drawing to determine who got them. The atheists won a few spaces which they used to spread their ideas. Christians got their panties in a wad and committed acts of vandalism. That's what led to the city deciding to end the practice.
    You are assuming it was adults when it probably was teens or kids. So saying it is indeed a "fact" is not entirely correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    If whoever vandalized the atheist displays had displayed a little Christianity, it would still be going on. That's the moron who wrecked it all for everyone - someone who couldn't deal with the fact that someone had a different point of view.
    I disagree. Had things like the "mythology" statement not been put up, a problem most likely would not have gone to that level. When you attack someones belief, you in all likelihood will get the same results. I mean imagine the uproar is Chritians had posted something like...

    All atheists will burn in hell. Happy holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #219
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    My anger is not displaced. Both party's were idiot's. Fact is it could have just been some children who did the vandalizing because they have Christian parents. Fact is we don't know. So yes both party's are to blame, period.
    Exactly how are "both parties to blame" for exercising their Constitutional rights?
    There is no evidence to suggest the vandal(s)s (whoever they may be) were forced to commit the criminal acts in question.It is the vandal(s),and they alone,who are to blame.

  10. #220
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Atheist Action Halts Calif. Nativity Display; Churches Go to Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    My anger is not displaced. Both party's were idiot's. Fact is it could have just been some children who did the vandalizing because they have Christian parents. Fact is we don't know. So yes both party's are to blame, period.
    but a distinction begs to be made
    only those who vandalized the atheists' exhibits engaged in illicit behavior
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •