Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker During ..

  1. #21
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The 8 year old (at the time) got the DP (eventually) along with extensive, unimaginable suffering for years, what is not right about the humane execution of the monster (human garbage?) that inflicted that upon his victim? If tried/sentenced as a juvenile I doubt anything can be done now since juvenile sentences usually end at age 21 or result in adult parole only. See link:

    Texas Juvenile Justice Department
    Bad facts make bad laws and a death sentence gets lots of appeals. The kid did not die directly from the act. He died more than a decade later from cancer. The kid just happened to give a deposition just before his death? How wonderful for the prosecution to convict someone on unchallenged oral evidence not subject to cross examination when the article said he testified he "thought" the other guy was the one who set him on fire. If you want people to be able to put to death on such scant evidence, then do not be surprised if there are not a 1000 more people found innocent 20 years into jail. The whole rape two weeks earlier thing in the exact same spot could lead some to wonder why he would be alone in the exact same spot again so soon afterward. I have no desire to bash the victim. Everything he said could be 100% true, but it also feels like there is the possibility that the kid could have been coached as well since I am sure he was well medicated that close to death. So in my mind when there is doubt, you do not put the guy to death but his unrelated conduct warrants the life sentence to me to begin with.

  2. #22
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    02-08-13 @ 10:14 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    843

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Bad facts make bad laws and a death sentence gets lots of appeals. The kid did not die directly from the act. He died more than a decade later from cancer. The kid just happened to give a deposition just before his death? How wonderful for the prosecution to convict someone on unchallenged oral evidence not subject to cross examination when the article said he testified he "thought" the other guy was the one who set him on fire. If you want people to be able to put to death on such scant evidence, then do not be surprised if there are not a 1000 more people found innocent 20 years into jail. The whole rape two weeks earlier thing in the exact same spot could lead some to wonder why he would be alone in the exact same spot again so soon afterward. I have no desire to bash the victim. Everything he said could be 100% true, but it also feels like there is the possibility that the kid could have been coached as well since I am sure he was well medicated that close to death. So in my mind when there is doubt, you do not put the guy to death but his unrelated conduct warrants the life sentence to me to begin with.
    From the story the cancer could be tied to the fire because of its nature. I don’ t know much about that, how sound that is. That will come down to dueling expert witnesses. From the story, he was already able get a civil settlement but I agree with the rest of your post. Sad, sad situation but the case as described has some serious problems muchless having death sentence certainty.

    However this being Texas… *sigh*

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker During Death Bed Video

    Robbie Middleton: Will horrifically-burned victim convict alleged killer Don Collins from beyond the grave? | Mail Online



    I'm absolutely sick to my stomach after reading about this - and I never heard about it after all this time? Right in Texas - what the ****?
    This is one of those occasions where the punishment should fit the crime..... duplicate exactly what this buttwipe did to this kid. And then find a way to make it worse. Burn scars can be like expressways for cancer cells. I know this from experience.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #24
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Bad facts make bad laws and a death sentence gets lots of appeals. The kid did not die directly from the act. He died more than a decade later from cancer. The kid just happened to give a deposition just before his death? How wonderful for the prosecution to convict someone on unchallenged oral evidence not subject to cross examination when the article said he testified he "thought" the other guy was the one who set him on fire. If you want people to be able to put to death on such scant evidence, then do not be surprised if there are not a 1000 more people found innocent 20 years into jail. The whole rape two weeks earlier thing in the exact same spot could lead some to wonder why he would be alone in the exact same spot again so soon afterward. I have no desire to bash the victim. Everything he said could be 100% true, but it also feels like there is the possibility that the kid could have been coached as well since I am sure he was well medicated that close to death. So in my mind when there is doubt, you do not put the guy to death but his unrelated conduct warrants the life sentence to me to begin with.
    I am not trying him, convicting him or sentencing him. The standard of proof is up to a jury, regardless of whether he is charged as a juvenile or adult. Your point of the only evidence being a deathbed confession is very unlikely to win a conviction, there must be more evidence than that to get a conviction. The article alone does not allow that determination. My point was that trying him as a juvenile now, is mostly an exercise in time wasting as any sentence is likely to be no more than he is serving/has served for his other crimes.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #25
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Bad facts make bad laws and a death sentence gets lots of appeals. The kid did not die directly from the act. He died more than a decade later from cancer. The kid just happened to give a deposition just before his death? How wonderful for the prosecution to convict someone on unchallenged oral evidence not subject to cross examination when the article said he testified he "thought" the other guy was the one who set him on fire. If you want people to be able to put to death on such scant evidence, then do not be surprised if there are not a 1000 more people found innocent 20 years into jail. The whole rape two weeks earlier thing in the exact same spot could lead some to wonder why he would be alone in the exact same spot again so soon afterward. I have no desire to bash the victim. Everything he said could be 100% true, but it also feels like there is the possibility that the kid could have been coached as well since I am sure he was well medicated that close to death. So in my mind when there is doubt, you do not put the guy to death but his unrelated conduct warrants the life sentence to me to begin with.
    Speaking of bad facts!!

    The prosecution doesn't convict anybody in a criminal case. The Jury does that. It's the prosecution's job to present their case and based on nothing more than the extremely limited amount of evidence I was able to read in the story I can ABSOLUTELY see why the prosecutor would bring suit and, in fact, believe that they would be totally shirking their duties if they didn't.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Speaking of bad facts!!

    The prosecution doesn't convict anybody in a criminal case. The Jury does that. It's the prosecution's job to present their case and based on nothing more than the extremely limited amount of evidence I was able to read in the story I can ABSOLUTELY see why the prosecutor would bring suit and, in fact, believe that they would be totally shirking their duties if they didn't.
    IF someone coached this kid directly or indirectly, I doubt it was the mailman.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I am not trying him, convicting him or sentencing him. The standard of proof is up to a jury, regardless of whether he is charged as a juvenile or adult. Your point of the only evidence being a deathbed confession is very unlikely to win a conviction, there must be more evidence than that to get a conviction. The article alone does not allow that determination. My point was that trying him as a juvenile now, is mostly an exercise in time wasting as any sentence is likely to be no more than he is serving/has served for his other crimes.
    I have an issue with capital punishment being carried out against someone for a crime committed when they were 13. I don't care if you treat them as an adult and lock them up forever--it is the zap zap chair that bothers me with people who were that young when they committed their crime, especially if the death did not occur until 13 years later. It feels like they are trying to do indirectly what they could not do directly--execute him for burning the kid at all.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    IF someone coached this kid directly or indirectly, I doubt it was the mailman.
    IF someone coached the kid then that's the jury's determination to make and there is, with the evidence presented here, no good reason to presume that was the case.

  9. #29
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I have an issue with capital punishment being carried out against someone for a crime committed when they were 13. I don't care if you treat them as an adult and lock them up forever--it is the zap zap chair that bothers me with people who were that young when they committed their crime, especially if the death did not occur until 13 years later. It feels like they are trying to do indirectly what they could not do directly--execute him for burning the kid at all.
    If you are old enough to rape, then decide to terrorize the victim/witness to cover your tracks then you deserve to die. Don't mess with Texas, or its justice. If the vicitm is forced to suffer terribly and then eventually dies 13 years later (from direct result of that trauma) that does not sound like the sob story that I'd use to try to convince a jury to be lenient. Feel free to act as his character witness, become his pen pal and picket the execution but let Texas justice run its course.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #30
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Boy Tied To Tree And Burned Alive On His Eighth Birthday Names His Attacker Durin

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    If you are old enough to rape, then decide to terrorize the victim/witness to cover your tracks then you deserve to die. Don't mess with Texas, or its justice. If the vicitm is forced to suffer terribly and then eventually dies 13 years later (from direct result of that trauma) that does not sound like the sob story that I'd use to try to convince a jury to be lenient. Feel free to act as his character witness, become his pen pal and picket the execution but let Texas justice run its course.
    No need. There will be people lining up to represent him for free on his appeal--some people do put the integrity of the process above the individual outcomes. Ask some of the black lawyers who represent the Klan why they do it. I'll give you a hint--it ain't for the money or the company.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •