Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 76 of 76

Thread: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

  1. #71
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,631

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Just heard a report from Hart(sp), Texas where people didn't vote for Obama because he is a muslim and not born in America. Well done GOP.
    that actually has a stronger basis in truth than the claims made about Romney's tax rate

  2. #72
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,152

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    The from each according to their ability (which is a joke-the middle class don't pay enough because they have too many votes) is the only grounds most on the left want.

    To claim the rich aren't paying their fair share is beyond dishonest. a fair share is everyone paying the same amount for the same government services. The rich tend to pay many dollars for one dollar of service, the poor pay almost nothing for often more services
    I'm not claiming they're not paying their fair share. But if we're going to raise taxes, it doesn't make any sense to burden the middle-class, as they represent most consumers. More taxes, they consume less. What does that do to the economy?

    Guess what? We're going to have to raise taxes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,028

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that actually has a stronger basis in truth than the claims made about Romney's tax rate
    ... hahaha partisanship at its finest.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #74
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that actually has a stronger basis in truth than the claims made about Romney's tax rate
    You're right, the claim about Romney's tax rate is waaaayyyyy to high.
    Hail to the King baby!

  5. #75
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Romney pays less than many middle class people when you figure the TOTAL tax bite one pays to the feds as a percentage of income. This is because 93% of American earners pay a FICA tax on 100% of their income while folks like Romney do not even pay 1%. So when you add that to the federal income tax, you get the results others have mentioned.
    And? Your point is what?

    Add in FICA and you still only add 2% or so.

    So OK...the average person pays 11%+/- effective rate, Romney paid 15% +/- effective rate...

    Lets take an income...somewhere around $50K for arguments sake (Thats the number Obama campaign chose so we will use it also)
    Campaign ad - "Mitt Romney admitted he thinks it's fair that his $20 million income was taxed at a lower rate than someone making $50,000."

    You and others claim Romneys tax rate is less than the rate paid by people making less than $50,000 a year. The claim, though, is open to debate. It only holds up in a particular scenario in which both income and all payroll taxes are counted

    You all and president's campaign presumably is referring to Romney's release last week of his 2011 tax returns, which showed he paid an effective tax rate of 14.1 percent.

    IRS data, though, shows that Romney's effective income tax rate -- that's what he pays as a percentage of his income once deductions and other benefits are factored in -- is actually far higher than what most Americans pay. And it's certainly higher than what someone making $50,000 pays. IRS data from 2010 shows someone making between $50,000 and $75,000 on average pays an effective rate of 7.8 percent. Even someone making between $100,000 and $200,000 pays a 12.1 percent rate -- also lower than Romney's.

    The campaign likely is trying to make the point that Romney's income -- at least the huge chunk of it that is derived from investments -- is taxed at a 15 percent rate, while others who earn their money from a paycheck are taxed at marginal income rates going all the way up to 35 percent.
    The latter percentage, though, comes down once deductions and exemptions are included. The Tax Foundation estimated in a report in January that Romney's rate in 2010 -- which was also about 14 percent -- was higher than what 97 percent of Americans pay.
    The math works out better for the Obama campaign's claims if all payroll taxes are included in the formula.
    Since Romney earns most his income from investments and not from a paycheck, he doesn't have to pay much toward Social Security and Medicare taxes. But if both the employee and employer share of those taxes are included towards the employees marginal tax rate, according to a Tax Policy Center chart, the middle tier of earners would be paying a 15.5 percent effective rate. (As pointed out in an earlier report by FactCheck.org.)

    Please, get your facts straight before you post things. Dont listen to the pundits and the politicians....here is a very hush hush secret I am going to share with you, THEY LIE. They will lie to you because they know you will not take the time to research it for yourself. You will not take the time away from Dancing With the Stars and American Idol or Facebook long enough to do the research necessary to find the truth.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  6. #76
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    No no no maggie im not going to let you get away with making that sound like a democrat ploy...that happens to be the DISGUSTING TRUTH...its a fact he paid less percentage of taxs than many middle class americans...and thats why he HID the rest of his tax returns and couldnt show them...id bet they were even lower in percentage..
    He had already paid taxes on the earnings once. Then he took those earnings that had been taxed and invested them. Then he paid taxes on the investment earnings at a lower rate.

    Why do democrats hate non-democrats who happen to be rich? I don't see you whining about liberals who are rich and have the same tax rates on investments.
    Last edited by Μολὼν λαβέ; 11-21-12 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •