Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 76

Thread: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Republicans have to play ball now or they lose the independents. I have my hopes up that the next four years will be relatively constructive. Halting getting things done will not work anymore.
    Neither will the 'If Obama's for it, I'm agin' it' approach, which seems to have been the Republican philosophy of governing for the past 4 years.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  2. #52
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,183

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Neither will the 'If Obama's for it, I'm agin' it' approach, which seems to have been the Republican philosophy of governing for the past 4 years.
    It was always their goal to win in 2012. Didn't happen. I'm hoping that since Obama won't get re-elected again, we might start to see some work come out of Washington. I hope that Obama has learned how to negotiate instead of starting from a compromise.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    They're already deciding who is at fault for something that hasn't yet happened, and wouldn't have happened if:

    1. the tax cuts had been made permanent in the first place, as proposed.
    2. the "compromise" bill creating automatic cuts hadn't been passed and signed.
    3. we didn't insist upon spending like drunken sailors on shore leave come hell or high water.

    Seems to me like that means everybody's to blame for getting us in this mess. As to who we blame if we don't get out of it? How about "everybody". Ain't nobody's hands clean here.
    The Bush tax cuts were never be made permanent because of the CBO estimates on its effect on the defcit. We cant' afford them and NEVER could.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Who the hell cares if they were?! There is no proof that Romney ever broke the law (or rather, that his tax preparers ever broke the law), so the fact that he paid a lower effective rate than his marginal rate would suggest is hardly a reason NOT to vote for him...since it appears it was done legally within the parameters of the existing tax code.
    How do we know that Romney never broke any laws on his tax returns? He has never released them all.
    I beleive he took the Govt. amnesty deal on his Swiss accounts in 2009 which would mean he DID reak the law but was given a pass on it because.....well because he is a RICH SOB.

    Romney also gave the impression that he wanted his already meager tax rates to be lowered even further, which was a real vote getter for his billionaire donors. The rest of the country not so much.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 11-15-12 at 12:22 PM.

  5. #55
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The Bush tax cuts were never be made permanent because of the CBO estimates on its effect on the defcit. We cant' afford them and NEVER could.
    Yet the most recent CBO estimates say that extending all of the cuts would increase GDP by over 2%....while allowing them to expire would cause negative growth.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #56
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,032

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Uh, payroll taxes are federal taxes. The actual number of people paying neither is quite small, largely because they are students, retirees or children.
    my error. I should have said federal income tax.

  7. #57
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    02-08-13 @ 10:14 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    843

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    my error. I should have said federal income tax.
    But your problem now is that that correction of your error kicks the crap out of your argument, because the very regressively structured payroll tax accounts for roughly the same sized slice of Fed taxation.

    Da pie.

  8. #58
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,032

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    But your problem now is that that correction of your error kicks the crap out of your argument, because the very regressively structured payroll tax accounts for roughly the same sized slice of Fed taxation.

    Da pie.
    Nope. it does not negate the fact that almost 50% legally pay no federal income tax.
    Misconceptions and Realities About Who Pays Taxes — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

    Close to half of U.S. households currently do not owe federal income tax. The Urban Institute-Brookings Tax Policy Center estimates that 46 percent of households will owe no federal income tax for 2011. [1] A widely cited figure is a Joint Committee on Taxation estimate that 51 percent of households paid no federal income tax in 2009.[2] (The TPC figure for 2009 also is 51 percent.)

    That still leaves the rest who do pay to fund the govt.

  9. #59
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    02-08-13 @ 10:14 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    843

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    That still leaves the rest who do pay to fund the govt.


    Except not, as outlined above. Because you are willfully trying to ignore 40% of the government’s funding. Ergo, your statement I’ m quoting here is false.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,000

    Re: Poll: Blame GOP for cliff diving

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    But that thought process is based on a fallacy. The effective tax rate for Americans is averaging a little less than 9% per the IRS. Romney paid an effective tax rate of 15% (from dollar 1).

    They can play with and distort the numbers all they want but when you actually research the facts, you find that both sides greatly exaggerate the numbers when it comes to the effects of the tax code on us for their own benefit.

    The stupid among us take what they say as truth without doing the research themselves.
    Romney pays less than many middle class people when you figure the TOTAL tax bite one pays to the feds as a percentage of income. This is because 93% of American earners pay a FICA tax on 100% of their income while folks like Romney do not even pay 1%. So when you add that to the federal income tax, you get the results others have mentioned.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •