Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 172

Thread: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

  1. #61
    Professor
    Amigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,945

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So Conservatives agreed with her?
    That is the irony, quite funny IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT on Nov 8th, 2012 View Post
    Over the next four years the economy will continue to rebound and we will gradually get deficits under control. The real esate market will rebound, unemployment will fall to 6.5% or below, and GDP growth will stand at 3.5 - 4%. We won't be in any wars. And conservatives will still be whining.

  2. #62
    Professor
    Amigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,945

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    His skin is too dark for them to heed his advice.
    You really think conservatives are racist?
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT on Nov 8th, 2012 View Post
    Over the next four years the economy will continue to rebound and we will gradually get deficits under control. The real esate market will rebound, unemployment will fall to 6.5% or below, and GDP growth will stand at 3.5 - 4%. We won't be in any wars. And conservatives will still be whining.

  3. #63
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Thats a perfect example of the opposite. Instead of addressing the substance of the difference between violent rape and statutory rape, people focused on the gotcha of assuming there isnt one. Jindals advice is to avoid anything that might be controversial or politically incorrect. I think thats the problem with politics today.
    Politics IS perception. I hate to say it, but an election IS a popularity contest. That's what Jindal's getting at - if you say dumb things that make people think badly of you, you're gonna lose. If you lose, your principles don't mean a whole bunch.

    Look, you guys can either go on about "The evil media getting their 'gotcha!'" or you can man up and stop saying things like "legitimate rape."


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #64
    Student dyanaprajna2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-14-15 @ 02:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    241

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    We're seeing more and more Republicans saying things like this. It seems that there might be hope for the GOP, after all. Seems like they're actually listening to the American people, for once.
    "To do good, to avoid evil, and to purify the mind, this is the teaching of all Buddhas." -the Buddha, from the Dhammapada

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    Jindal's recommendation, though well-intentioned is unrealistic. The GOP is only on the map at all because it's mastered the art of pandering to morons (who are mostly on the right). States that have the most morons along with the states that have equally as many morons as educated folk (i. e. the swing states) are the only ones the GOP can hope to win. The 2012 election results reflected that clearly--all the top educated states (MA, VT, MN) went blue--they always have.

    It's not hard to understand why--the only middle class individuals that would vote for a party that in reality is only interested in running up debt to fund the military complex and dolling out corporate welfare are the ones who lack noodle. OTOH, deceiving morons is easy, and that's what the GOP does--it dupes the uneducated into voting GOP because those morons are bigoted, and the GOP tells them the 3 things those bigots want to hear: "Ban abortions, bomb Muslims, and bash gays and Mexicans", and once told those things, they always vote for the one who told them that.

    They will not examine the actual voting records/sponsors of the individuals for whom they vote because, quite simply, they don't know how to research anything. They just keep supporting the GOP pol because he tells them the bigoted lines they want to hear.

    Consequently, the GOP has worked hard for 30 years to acquire a large base of these loyal (bigoted) morons. And for most of those 30 years, that strategy--racist/homophobic pandering--worked. It's just that in the last 8 years, that rhetoric--which appeals to its moronic base--has become a liability, because the larger number of non-White and openly homosexual individuals in the US are repulsed by it.

    So now the GOP is caught in an electoral trap. It can't do what Jindal is suggesting and talk smart, because if it did, its words would just escape the minds of its majority base (who don't understand anything more complicated than "fags must die" and "obama is a commie/muslum") and at the same have zero effect on intelligent voters, since the intelligent voters already know the GOP is full of !@#$ and would instantly recognize its message as being inconsistent w/its past record and PAC donor base.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    You really think conservatives are racist?
    To be fair, the GOP has recently started to allow dark-skinned individuals become pols as long as they keep up the racist rhetoric.

    Though I'm sure Jindal, Cain, etc. have to work extra-hard at the Latino/immigrant bashing because of their skin color.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Politics IS perception. I hate to say it, but an election IS a popularity contest. That's what Jindal's getting at - if you say dumb things that make people think badly of you, you're gonna lose. If you lose, your principles don't mean a whole bunch.

    Look, you guys can either go on about "The evil media getting their 'gotcha!'" or you can man up and stop saying things like "legitimate rape."
    Not me. Im a libertarian. I dont care about winning. I care about truth.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Not me. Im a libertarian. I dont care about winning. I care about truth.
    Truth is nice but it doesn't win elections.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Jindal's recommendation, though well-intentioned is unrealistic. The GOP is only on the map at all because it's mastered the art of pandering to morons (who are mostly on the right). States that have the most morons along with the states that have equally as many morons as educated folk (i. e. the swing states) are the only ones the GOP can hope to win. The 2012 election results reflected that clearly--all the top educated states (MA, VT, MN) went blue--they always have.

    It's not hard to understand why--the only middle class individuals that would vote for a party that in reality is only interested in running up debt to fund the military complex and dolling out corporate welfare are the ones who lack noodle. OTOH, deceiving morons is easy, and that's what the GOP does--it dupes the uneducated into voting GOP because those morons are bigoted, and the GOP tells them the 3 things those bigots want to hear: "Ban abortions, bomb Muslims, and bash gays and Mexicans", and once told those things, they always vote for the one who told them that.

    They will not examine the actual voting records/sponsors of the individuals for whom they vote because, quite simply, they don't know how to research anything. They just keep supporting the GOP pol because he tells them the bigoted lines they want to hear.

    Consequently, the GOP has worked hard for 30 years to acquire a large base of these loyal (bigoted) morons. And for most of those 30 years, that strategy--racist/homophobic pandering--worked. It's just that in the last 8 years, that rhetoric--which appeals to its moronic base--has become a liability, because the larger number of non-White and openly homosexual individuals in the US are repulsed by it.

    So now the GOP is caught in an electoral trap. It can't do what Jindal is suggesting and talk smart, because if it did, its words would just escape the minds of its majority base (who don't understand anything more complicated than "fags must die" and "obama is a commie/muslum") and at the same have zero effect on intelligent voters, since the intelligent voters already know the GOP is full of !@#$ and would instantly recognize its message as being inconsistent w/its past record and PAC donor base.
    Whats the alternative for voters?

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Bobby Jindal: GOP Should 'Stop Being The Stupid Party'

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Truth is nice but it doesn't win elections.
    Thats what I said.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •