Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

  1. #21
    Professor
    Dirt Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    02-19-16 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    My guess would be it leaked into the basements and hit the flame on the water heater. I have a natural gas furnace (well technically two of them) in my house and have bouts of paranoia about leaks.
    You would have thought that the entire house would have been filled to the rafters to cause an explosion of that magnitude. I have never seen anything like that from Natural Gas but I can tell you I will be a lot more careful screwing around in my basement from now on.

    I don't blame you for the Paranoia! Stay Safe!

  2. #22
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
    You would have thought that the entire house would have been filled to the rafters to cause an explosion of that magnitude. I have never seen anything like that from Natural Gas but I can tell you I will be a lot more careful screwing around in my basement from now on.

    I don't blame you for the Paranoia! Stay Safe!
    Thanks. I am more sort of inclined to believe it was compressed propane for that reason unless the basements were airtight. I used to rely on the city telling me that there are safety mechanisms in the lines and in the meters to prevent such a thing from ever happening but then a few houses in my town went BOOM from natural gas leaks. Fortunately nobody died because the city had moved them out a few hours earlier after they were unable to find the leak which ended up being about a half mile away and moving along the pipes in the ground until it found an exit into those particular basements. One of the houses didn't even have gas lines to it.

  3. #23
    Professor
    Dirt Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    02-19-16 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Thanks. I am more sort of inclined to believe it was compressed propane for that reason unless the basements were airtight. I used to rely on the city telling me that there are safety mechanisms in the lines and in the meters to prevent such a thing from ever happening but then a few houses in my town went BOOM from natural gas leaks. Fortunately nobody died because the city had moved them out a few hours earlier after they were unable to find the leak which ended up being about a half mile away and moving along the pipes in the ground until it found an exit into those particular basements. One of the houses didn't even have gas lines to it.
    Wow. That's crazy stuff. I have some family friends that live over there and said it is a mess. If it is compressed propane wouldn't there need to be a huge amount to make that sort of destruction?

  4. #24
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
    Wow. That's crazy stuff. I have some family friends that live over there and said it is a mess. If it is compressed propane wouldn't there need to be a huge amount to make that sort of destruction?
    I would think so but a friend who worked at a propane filling station in NY said it doesn't take that much propane to do huge damage which is why they had to drain the empty/near empty canisters in a bunker far away from any tanks. You might recall that gas station in WV that was disintegrated a few years ago like that by a leak in their propane system. IIRC, the sign was the only thing left to the place.

  5. #25
    Professor
    Dirt Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    02-19-16 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,747

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I would think so but a friend who worked at a propane filling station in NY said it doesn't take that much propane to do huge damage which is why they had to drain the empty/near empty canisters in a bunker far away from any tanks. You might recall that gas station in WV that was disintegrated a few years ago like that by a leak in their propane system. IIRC, the sign was the only thing left to the place.
    Amazing. I do remember that station. Didn't know what caused it though. I won't be keeping the BBQ tanks near the house anymore.

  6. #26
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Update: It looks like they are now calling this a criminal homicide investigation. The area is closed off and only people with credentials are allowed in. The investigation has been going on for 8 days and still no official word.

    Indianapolis explosion investigated as criminal homicide
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  7. #27
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Balls View Post
    Update: It looks like they are now calling this a criminal homicide investigation. The area is closed off and only people with credentials are allowed in. The investigation has been going on for 8 days and still no official word.

    Indianapolis explosion investigated as criminal homicide
    Interesting. Does anyone know if a meth lab can create that large of an explosion?

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Sure if it was big enough, but I find it highly unlikely it would "blow" that cleanly and not just set fire to the neighboring homes. It is quite amazing so many days have gone along with no answers. I guess its a good thing obama was in office or we'd be hearing how this was Bush's fault.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Interesting. Does anyone know if a meth lab can create that large of an explosion?

  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Interesting. Does anyone know if a meth lab can create that large of an explosion?
    It "could", but it would really depend on what was being stored. Much of what goes into meth explodes....which makes me wonder why people would smoke it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Massive explosion in Indianapolis

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Balls View Post
    Update: It looks like they are now calling this a criminal homicide investigation. The area is closed off and only people with credentials are allowed in. The investigation has been going on for 8 days and still no official word.

    Indianapolis explosion investigated as criminal homicide
    i just saw that on the news. somewhat incredible that someone might have done that on purpose.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •