Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 371

Thread: UPDATE: New Jersey utility denies turning away nonunion electric crew volunteers from

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
    This has nothing to do with employing people. Do you understand?
    It most certainly does and should. Think about if you were a local who has been out of work for maybe several years and are hurting for a job and money, then YOU get passed over for an out-of-state volunteer. That's effing sucky as hell!!! THAT is the state trying to get away with a freebie is all at the expense of it's local citizens. THAT is sick.

  2. #72
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Every city has bucket trucks. You talk about the union workers as if they aren't American citizens.
    Not in the slightest.

    And it doesn't matter what "every city" has concerning bucket trucks and pole lifting trucks in your view because outsiders aren't to be allowed in. It only matters how many the affected city has on hand. Since those cities have all they need, obviously we'll be hearing tomorrow that all power has been restored.

    What we need to see, of course, is anyone with any link demonstrating the affected cities are refusing to hire temporary local unemployed electrical linemen.

    BTW, do you have any idea how long it takes for a Union to approve someone as even just an electrical journeyman? Try SIX YEARS of formal education and apprentising. They'd go berserk if the city put new hires out reinstalling lines. There isn't a chance in hell the union would allow a new hire to go to work putting up lines right away unless already completely thru the union "skills filter" as they call it.

    Why do I feel if it was your house with no electricity and our car out of gas, that if a crew putting up lines for your block were sent away because the truck said "Alabama" on the side - and you told your new day is set for November 23rd for power restoration would would say, "I was hoping this would happen because I'd rather wait for someone who lives in my neighborhood to fix it."

    I am very pragmatic, not dogmatic, about life. It was only recently I have had the luxury of being dogmatic about life.

    I guess we also have different sympathies. Mine goes to the family without electricity.
    But the people should be able to wait six years.
    Last edited by joko104; 11-02-12 at 11:58 AM.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    11-03-12 @ 11:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    663

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It most certainly does and should. Think about if you were a local who has been out of work for maybe several years and are hurting for a job and money, then YOU get passed over for an out-of-state volunteer. That's effing sucky as hell!!! THAT is the state trying to get away with a freebie is all at the expense of it's local citizens. THAT is sick.
    You're stupid.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Not in the slightest.

    And it doesn't matter what "every city" has concerning bucket trucks and pole lifting trucks in your view because outsiders aren't to be allowed in. It only matters how many the affected city has on hand. Since those cities have all they need, obviously we'll be hearing tomorrow that all power has been restored.

    What we need to see, of course, is anyone with any link demonstrating the affected cities are refusing to hire temporary local unemployed electrical linemen.
    It's completely NORMAL to be out of power for several days after a storm. After Irene, I was out of power for 3 days. The problem is companies like National Grid being unprepared and taking on areas that are MUCH too large for them to handle IMO, but you guys would rather blame the poor working guys. So carry on with your trashing of the local unemployed workers who not only suffered a disaster but can also be passed over for a job in favor of free work from an out-of-stater who won't make a difference in the local economy.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
    You're stupid.
    Great argument.

  6. #76
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    It most certainly does and should. Think about if you were a local who has been out of work for maybe several years and are hurting for a job and money, then YOU get passed over for an out-of-state volunteer. That's effing sucky as hell!!! THAT is the state trying to get away with a freebie is all at the expense of it's local citizens. THAT is sick.
    I do not agree that people should risk illness and death to get 2 weeks of temporary work for someone else. Maybe I'm wrong. I guess your point is the longer it takes to restore electricity, the longer the temporary unemployment lasts. I don't figure out until now you want the power out as long as possible to maximize local temporary employment potential.

    How many weeks or months do you want families to be without power and fuel for the community good?

    Claiming "freebies" for the community is at the expense of local citizens is nonsensical. Free is free.

    Certainly they also should stop all those scab Red Cross people out too! Locals can do all that too.

    How about we agree that NJ takes care of all its problems at it own expense and the rest of us forget about them? Fair deal?

  7. #77
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Whats the problem ? NJ has the if not the highest but one of the highest unemployment rates in the country they SHOULD hire NJians Union or Not before out of staters.
    Good job. Way to continue your standard of kneejerk defense of unions without bothering to actually read what was in the article.

    Utility crews from several states East of the Mississippi River hit the road this week to volunteer their time and talents in Northeastern states hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. But crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn’t lend a hand without a union card.

    Derrick Moore, who works for Decatur Utilities in Decatur, Ala., told WAFF-TV in Huntsville that crews in Seaside Heights, N.J. turned him and his crewmates away, saying they couldn’t do any work there because they’re not union employees.

    Another nonunion Decatur Utilities crew is idling in Roanoke, Va., waiting for instructions from Seaside Heights. The town asked them days ago for help, but later told the workers to stand down.

    Read more: New Jersey town turns away Alabama volunteer utility workers because they're nonunion | The Daily Caller

    Volunteer. Help. Assist those suffering. Turned away by Unions. People still struggling, suffering, freezing.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I do not agree that people should risk illness and death to get 2 weeks of temporary work for someone else. Maybe I'm wrong. I guess your point is the longer it takes to restore electricity, the longer the temporary unemployment lasts. I don't figure out until now you want the power out as long as possible to maximize local temporary employment potential.

    How many weeks or months do you want families to be without power and fuel for the community good?

    Claiming "freebies" for the community is at the expense of local citizens is nonsensical. Free is free.
    Do you really think that if all the local community "resources" were used up, that they would have turned down volunteers? I think it is because there are still skilled unemployed people that could handle the work but haven't been asked. If you can prove otherwise, then please post me a link.

  9. #79
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
    You're stupid.
    No, she's not at all. Debate the issues or stay out of them please.

  10. #80
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Do you really think that if all the local community "resources" were used up, that they would have turned down volunteers? I think it is because there are still skilled unemployed people that could handle the work but haven't been asked. If you can prove otherwise, then please post me a link.
    If they don't need them, then there is no issue on either side, is there? You really should email the media complaining of the horrific lies they are falsely telling about power being out.
    Last edited by joko104; 11-02-12 at 12:09 PM.

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •