Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 371

Thread: UPDATE: New Jersey utility denies turning away nonunion electric crew volunteers from

  1. #51
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why are you assuming that they NEED the outside help to get what needs to be done in a timely fashion. Like I said, there are PLENTY of locals who are capable who are unemployed. Even if they aren't union workers, the local residents who ARE electricians, etc., should be offered the opportunity FIRST before bringing in out-of-staters who will not contribute much to the local economy.
    Then the news reports of power lines down is false?

    And put the lines up with what? Ladders tied together leaned up against pickup trucks? This isn't replacing a blown breaker in a house. THis is downed powerlines and powerline poles. It takes specialized trucks - and with the media reporting 100,000 lines down, that's a lot of trucks. Bucket lift trucks and pole lift trucks. Without those, there could be 1,000,000 unemployed local electricians and it would do no good to hire them. And once done, those extra trucks aren't going to be needed anymore.

    In short, it can't be done without an influx of outside heavy equipment - and NO company is going to turn over their equipment to others without their employees there to insure it used correctly and returned. Those are not cheap trucks. When they turned away the volunteers, they also turned away their heavy equipment and specialized trucks needed to get the job done.

    Finally, volunteers are FREE. So the lines would go back up MUCH FASTER and FOR FREE. To hire temporary workers and pay for trucks needed all of a few weeks is just taking money from taxpayers just to take it and give it to union workers - when otherwise no tax money used. Why not just have the city and state give unemployed people money? That's be more efficient than have people without electricity for weeks waiting for under equiped union workers getting around to their neighborhood.

    And, of course, then after that PURE WASTE SPENDING FOR THE UNION'S SAKE, the state and cities are going to ask for Federal assistance - meaning they want ME to pay for THEIR union-job protection even in life-death crisis situations.

    Should they also turn down volunteer out-of-state ambulances and doctors? Of course, right? Without electricity, people die. But waiting for locals to get around to it for weeks is more important?

    If it all is to "remain local," then no one who isn't local shouldn't give a damn either. If their own decisions causes them to suffer, then they suffer at their own choice.
    Last edited by joko104; 11-02-12 at 11:42 AM.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    11-03-12 @ 11:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    663

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why are you assuming that they NEED the outside help to get what needs to be done in a timely fashion. Like I said, there are PLENTY of locals who are capable who are unemployed. Even if they aren't union workers, the local residents who ARE electricians, etc., should be offered the opportunity FIRST before bringing in out-of-staters who will not contribute much to the local economy.
    The people from Alabama simply came there to volunteer to help.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I understand the definition, and while they don't meet the technical definition, if they displaced the unions they're not much better.
    Millions of people without power is, a ok.
    As long as non technical scabs aren't working in Jersey.

    Ever hear the term, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth?"
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    11-03-12 @ 11:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    663

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    And there you have it. It's all about politics.

    The Daily Caller and their overlords want to sink Unions altogether, so they're using the disaster to bring in the scabs. What would you say if a bunch of illegal Mexicans showed up to do work? They're only there to help, right?
    We have union workers turning away volunteers to help desperate people. Obama and those who support him have to be removed from power. This is sick.

  5. #55
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Millions of people without power is, a ok.
    As long as non technical scabs aren't working in Jersey.

    Ever hear the term, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth?"
    I'm not defending the actions of these towns, but don't you think that breaking the Union's back would please the Daily Caller?

    The problem is, there are regulations and laws. For better or worse, a natural disaster doesn't change them. Christie ought to do whatever waivers he needs to do, but until he does there's only so much that can happen.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Then the news reports of power lines down is false?

    And put the lines up with what? Ladders tied together leaned up against pickup trucks? This isn't replacing a blown breaker in a house. THis is downed powerlines and powerline poles. It takes specialized trucks - and with the media reporting 100,000 lines down, that's a lot of trucks. Bucket lift trucks and pole lift trucks. Without those, there could be 1,000,000 unemployed local electricians and it would do no good to hire them. And once done, those extra trucks aren't going to be needed anymore.

    In short, it can't be done without an influx of outside heavy equipment - and NO company is going to turn over their equipment to others without their employees there to insure it used correctly and returned. Those are not cheap trucks. When they turned away the volunteers, they also turned away their heavy equipment and specialized trucks needed to get the job done.

    Finally, volunteers are FREE. So the lines would go back up MUCH FASTER and FOR FREE. To hire temporary workers and pay for trucks needed all of a few weeks is just taking money from taxpayers just to take it and give it to union workers - when otherwise no tax money used. Why not just have the city and state give unemployed people money? That's be more efficient than have people without electricity for weeks waiting for under equiped union workers getting around to their neighborhood.

    And, of course, then the state and cities are going to ask for Federal assistance - meaning they want ME to pay for THEIR union-job protection even in life-death crisis situations.

    If it all is to "remain local," then no one who isn't local shouldn't give a damn either. If their own decisions causes them to suffer, then they suffer at their own choice.
    Every city has bucket trucks. You talk about the union workers as if they aren't American citizens.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    11-03-12 @ 11:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    663

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I'm not defending the actions of these towns, but don't you think that breaking the Union's back would please the Daily Caller?

    The problem is, there are regulations and laws. For better or worse, a natural disaster doesn't change them. Christie ought to do whatever waivers he needs to do, but until he does there's only so much that can happen.
    The problem is the union. This is sick.

  8. #58
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    For real?
    These guys are offering to help assist the local people, for free.

    Good lord, no good deed goes unpunished I suppose.

    People in NJ are on their knees being unemployed for YEARS...many have lost their homes...Gov Crispy Chreme despite all his claims of Grandeur has done NOTHING New Jersey is not only not any better off but it may be even worse off then when he took over and screwed the working class.

  9. #59
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Every city has bucket trucks. You talk about the union workers as if they aren't American citizens.

    According to the anti-Unionistas, they're not.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    11-03-12 @ 11:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    663

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Every city has bucket trucks. You talk about the union workers as if they aren't American citizens.
    They're extortionists and they are not acting like Americans. Anyone who supports the union in this is as sick as they are.

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •