Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 371

Thread: UPDATE: New Jersey utility denies turning away nonunion electric crew volunteers from

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I suppose they could ask everyone to just wait until the utility companies establish employment lines, do the paperwork get the week-or-two temporary new hires up to snuff on the equipment etc - waiting for that new equipment and trucks to arrive and be set up - all to give them a week or two work. Then to be laid off again.

    OR they could just allow the out-of-state professions showing up with their trucks, equipment and inventory to put the downed lines back up - and then go back to their own states in a couple of weeks. NONE of the work would be permanent for anyone.
    The work should be offered to the local residents first. It doesn't matter whether it is temporary or permanent. There are plenty of capable unemployed people in the area.

  2. #42
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Seriously, some of these people that lost everything really need the work to make some money. The local residents should be given the opportunity for the jobs first and foremost. See, the unions protect the local workers from others trying to outsource THEIR jobs. Locals will get jobs and be able to contribute to the local economy as well, which is just another PLUS.
    How many people do you think should suffer or die for that couple of weeks of temporary local work in the meantime?

    The problem is nearly 100,000 electrical lines down. Until they are, the power can't go back on. When those are back up the job is over. There is no permanent work to do - and there isn't the equipment even if new-hires were instantly put out putting up lines - so then it also waiting for new lift trucks and equipment to be bought due to obvious TEMPORARY shortage of equipment - with that mostly wasted as those trucks and equipment will no longer be needed.

    Anyway, New Jerseyians voted to be a closed shop. So let them suffer and whine all they want. It was their democratic choice to have no electricity, no water, no gasoline to protect union jobs. Accordingly, they do not deserve our sympathy anymore. Help came and they turned it away. So then don't expect anyone to feel sorry for them.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    New Jersey UNION members have a right to work in NJ before any out of staters....
    For real?
    These guys are offering to help assist the local people, for free.

    Good lord, no good deed goes unpunished I suppose.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #44
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    You don't understand the defintion of "scabs," do you?
    I understand the definition, and while they don't meet the technical definition, if they displaced the unions they're not much better.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's a laugh. There are more than enough "trained" people that already exist in NJ that could handle the work. You are jumping to silly conclusions.

    I care about giving the people who live in those communities the opportunity for the work FIRST. A lot of people are DYING for a job and work and money.
    Now do you know? You got stats on that?

    Look. As long as you condone turning away men who are ready to go to work RIGHT NOW in favor of someone who might not even be looking for work, then you DON'T care about the people who's lives are at risk.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    How many people do you think should suffer or die for that couple of weeks of temporary local work in the meantime?

    The problem is nearly 100,000 electrical lines down. Until they are, the power can't go back on. When those are back up the job is over. There is no permanent work to do - and there isn't the equipment even if new-hires were instantly put out putting up lines - so then it also waiting for new lift trucks and equipment to be bought due to obvious TEMPORARY shortage of equipment - with that mostly wasted as those trucks and equipment will no longer be needed.

    Anyway, New Jerseyians voted to be a closed shop. So let them suffer and whine all they want. It was their democratic choice to have no electricity, no water, no gasoline to protect union jobs. Accordingly, they do not deserve our sympathy anymore. Help came and they turned it away. So then don't expect anyone to feel sorry for them.
    Why are you assuming that they NEED the outside help to get what needs to be done in a timely fashion. Like I said, there are PLENTY of locals who are capable who are unemployed. Even if they aren't union workers, the local residents who ARE electricians, etc., should be offered the opportunity FIRST before bringing in out-of-staters who will not contribute much to the local economy.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Now do you know? You got stats on that?

    Look. As long as you condone turning away men who are ready to go to work RIGHT NOW in favor of someone who might not even be looking for work, then you DON'T care about the people who's lives are at risk.
    You think there are no qualified people in New Jersey? Don't be ridiculous.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why are you assuming that they NEED the outside help to get what needs to be done in a timely fashion. Like I said, there are PLENTY of locals who are capable who are unemployed. Even if they aren't union workers, the local residents who ARE electricians, etc., should be offered the opportunity FIRST before bringing in out-of-staters who will not contribute much to the local economy.
    Why would you turn away people helping to restore essential services now, just so some Joe may be able to get a temp job in a couple of days?
    I can't believe you people are serious.

    Just bewildered.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #49
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You think there are no qualified people in New Jersey? Don't be ridiculous.
    So...you have no stats. Noted.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    11-03-12 @ 11:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    663

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I understand the definition, and while they don't meet the technical definition, if they displaced the unions they're not much better.
    Don't you think the needs of people in trouble come first?

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •