Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 371

Thread: UPDATE: New Jersey utility denies turning away nonunion electric crew volunteers from

  1. #221
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't think it's crazy at all. What's the problem with hiring the people who are most affected? It certainly wouldn't take longer to get them. What's the objection?
    First, you'd have to find trained and experienced people now, that have a way to clean up and prep themselves for work everyday.
    Second, you'd have to spend $$$ on temporary equipment and supplies, when you're already spending tons on other clean up costs.

    At the end of the day, it's an inefficient and unsustainable to way to fix the damage.
    All because it makes people "feel good" rather than fix the problems now.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 11-02-12 at 07:48 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #222
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: UPDATE: New Jersey utility denies turning away nonunion electric crew volunteers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
    I have no doubt the utility company itself turned no one away. But I'm just as certain it happened:

    UPDATE: A New Jersey power company denied Friday that it is turning away nonunion volunteer crews who want to travel great distances to help reconnect power supplies severed by Hurricane Sandy. But an Alabama utility is clarifying that it was the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers [IBEW] — not the company — that turned them away.

    Read more: New Jersey town turns away Alabama volunteer utility workers because they're nonunion | The Daily Caller
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    [QUOTE=Harry Guerrilla;1061097070]
    First, you'd have to find trained and experienced people now, that have a way to clean up and prep themselves for work everyday. Second, you'd have to spend $$$ on temporary equipment and supplies, when you're already spending tons on other clean up costs.
    What is the difference between finding trained and experienced people at home FIRST, and then if you need more looking elsewhere?

    At the end of the day, it's an inefficient and unsustainable to way to fix the damage.
    All because of some it makes people "feel good" rather than fix the problems now.
    I don't agree. I think it is better and more helpful to the local economy to hire the locals first instead of going right away to outsource work to other people in other states. And it would not stop the problems from being fixed now. There are plenty of people who are experienced in disaster cleanups. This is not our FIRST storm here in the Northeast.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What is the difference between finding trained and experienced people at home FIRST, and then if you need more looking elsewhere?
    Because there aren't likely a lot of people, with a home and experience in fixing power grid problems.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't agree. I think it is better and more helpful to the local economy to hire the locals first instead of going right away to outsource work to other people in other states. And it would not stop the problems from being fixed now. There are plenty of people who are experienced in disaster cleanups. This is not our FIRST storm here in the Northeast.
    I think your reasoning is foolish and short sited.
    Disaster clean up /= power line worker.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    I was just thinking, what exact "special skills" do people need to rebuild? We have plenty of carpenters. We also have floods for other reasons than hurricanes, such as at the end of every winter when we get heavy snow, rivers tend to swell and we get plenty of flooding going on. I think the only issue for New Jersey is getting their electricity back on, and it would not take any longer to get people who are union electricians from the area together to work on such a project. That is what the unions do. BIG jobs.

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Because there aren't likely a lot of people, with a home and experience in fixing power grid problems.
    This is about hiring experienced union people who have been out of work for whatever reasons. Not about just hiring anyone. I don't know why you would think I mean that.



    I think your reasoning is foolish and short sited.
    Disaster clean up /= power line worker.
    Okay. The unions want to make sure their guys who DO have this kind of experience are put to work first.

  7. #227
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This is about hiring experienced union people who have been out of work for whatever reasons. Not about just hiring anyone. I don't know why you would think I mean that.
    So it's perfectly acceptable to delay repairs, so that they can do a job search for people who may not even exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Okay. The unions want to make sure their guys who DO have this kind of experience are put to work first.
    This is just silly nonsense.
    Do you apply this "local only" policy to disaster relief money to?

    The locals should only pay for it after all, they come first.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #228
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,670

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What is the difference between finding trained and experienced people at home FIRST, and then if you need more looking elsewhere?



    I don't agree. I think it is better and more helpful to the local economy to hire the locals first instead of going right away to outsource work to other people in other states. And it would not stop the problems from being fixed now. There are plenty of people who are experienced in disaster cleanups. This is not our FIRST storm here in the Northeast.
    Good grief, woman!!

    This isn't some piddly little localized storm that knocked down a few power poles. There are lines that need repair, transformers that need to be replaced, crap that needs to be cleared before even temporary fixes can be applied. If every high voltage guy in NJ came to work it still wouldn't be enough.

    If they stuck to their guns and kept things strictly NJ locals then it might take 6 months to get everyone back up and running. If they accept assistance then it can get done in a week or so. If it takes a month then all the people that rely on electricity for things like computers to run their business or lights so that their customers can see what they are doing are not going to be able to do their job either. You're basically going to tell the whole eastern half of the state that they are SOL as far as getting their lives and economy together just because you want to protect yourself from TEMPORARY help.



    I really can't believe that this is even an issue......how the hell can people - and it's not just one of you - be this incredibly .... ..... never mind.
    Last edited by Lutherf; 11-02-12 at 08:20 PM.

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    I don't know what is so hard to understand about the word "first." That doesn't mean "only." There is a BIG difference between those words. I mean to make sure that all of the local people who are skilled and out of work should be given work. It wouldn't take ANY longer.

    So I guess this means some of you must agree with outsourcing jobs, because that is what it is if you don't hire the local people and just outsource to get it cheaper or free.

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    [QUOTE=Lutherf;1061097141]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post

    Good grief, woman!!

    This isn't some piddly little localized storm that knocked down a few power poles. There are lines that need repair, transformers that need to be replaced, crap that needs to be cleared before even temporary fixes can be applied. If every high voltage guy in NJ came to work it still wouldn't be enough.

    If they stuck to their guns and kept things strictly NJ locals then it might take 6 months to get everyone back up and running. If they accept assistance then it can get done in a week or so. If it takes a month then all the people that rely on electricity for things like computers to run their business or lights so that their customers can see what they are doing are not going to be able to do their job either. You're basically going to tell the whole eastern half of the state that they are SOL as far as getting their lives and economy together just because you want to protect yourself from TEMPORARY help.



    I really can't believe that this is even an issue......how the hell can people - and it's not just one of you - be this incredibly .... ..... never mind.
    Good grief yourself. Refer to my post above. It wouldn't take any longer. And yes, a LOT of people would be HAPPY with temporary work.

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •