Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 371

Thread: UPDATE: New Jersey utility denies turning away nonunion electric crew volunteers from

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Perhaps because those other workers were union workers. And how does that change the fact that you are now looking for ways to defend it? The articles state VOLUNTEERS are working throughout the east coast because those states and towns care more about the people huddling in a corner of their house than some idiotic union thug policy.
    Well perhaps, but I didn't notice that mentioned in the articles. It is not an idiotic union thug policy. It is a legitimate contractual obligation. Getting rid of "red tape" does not necessarily mean to ignore legitimate contracts.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    How so? That they asked for volunteers but only a 'certain' kind of volunteers...I'm sure the union popularity took a hit...at least from those who are without power...
    So what would be wrong with getting union volunteers? They are still people who need work too. Do you know what is specified in the contract that the state signed in agreement with the union demands?

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    How so? That they asked for volunteers but only a 'certain' kind of volunteers...I'm sure the union popularity took a hit...at least from those who are without power...
    Why doesn't anyone get upset that the local workers get screwed while the state gets a freebie. Instead of paying local people who have probably been out of work for a while, they want to bring in out-of-state volunteers. That part makes me angry.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why doesn't anyone get upset that the local workers get screwed while the state gets a freebie. Instead of paying local people who have probably been out of work for a while, they want to bring in out-of-state volunteers. That part makes me angry.
    I understand both your point AND your anger. IF it were not a DISASTER I would agree FULLY with your position but considering folks are SUFFERING. I would be willing to concede union agreements ONLY until the majority of the utilities were restored. This is typical of tornado, earthquake, flooding and hurricane events. There will be PLENTY of electrical work to perform AFTER the utility infrastructure is repaired AND the volunteers return home. Do you REALLY think linemen from ALABAMA want to stay in NJ ANY longer than they have to?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    I understand both your point AND your anger. IF it were not a DISASTER I would agree FULLY with your position but considering folks are SUFFERING. I would be willing to concede union agreements ONLY until the majority of the utilities were restored. This is typical of tornado, earthquake, flooding and hurricane events. There will be PLENTY of electrical work to perform AFTER the utility infrastructure is repaired AND the volunteers return home. Do you REALLY think linemen from ALABAMA want to stay in NJ ANY longer than they have to?
    Well I just perused the article again, and it does not give a reason as to why these volunteers were turned away. The OP article is very sketchy and without much detail.

    Also, if this is the case, then your problem lies with the state. The unions cannot just do whatever they want and control the entire operation. If the state is okay with volunteers coming in, then that will be what happens.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why doesn't anyone get upset that the local workers get screwed while the state gets a freebie. Instead of paying local people who have probably been out of work for a while, they want to bring in out-of-state volunteers. That part makes me angry.
    Why? Why?
    First of all it is to restore needed services.
    That takes precedent. Not some Union contract.

    Secondly, show that someone else is getting screwed other than those going without services because of some idiotic Union asininity.
    Unless there are actually people getting screwed, there is no reason to even suggest such.
    Nor could you show that it should take precedent over the restoring of services.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Why? Why?
    First of all it is to restore needed services.
    That takes precedent. Not some Union contract.

    Secondly, show that someone else is getting screwed other than those going without services because of some idiotic Union asininity.
    Unless there are actually people getting screwed, there is no reason to even suggest such.
    Nor could you show that it should take precedent over the restoring of services.
    There is nothing in the OP article to suggest that job is not already being taken of. This is not the fault of the unions but the fault of the power companies and the states for signing contracts in which they cannot keep up their ends of the bargains.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    You know, I was thinking. These power companies take over MUCH too large of an area. When everything is calm, sure they can handle the workload, but if there is any kind of emergency situation, they are NOT capable of taking care of the problems. Where is someone to say to them that we think this is too large of a region for you to handle in an emergency without causing all kinds of other problems.

    Another thing to think about is that my electric company, National Grid, is NOT an American-owned company, and you bet your ass I want our United States employees unions to protect those workers rights, their paychecks, their benefits, etc. I believe in looking out for my fellow American workers over the HUGE corporations.

    I can agree that sometimes union demands go too far, but that does not negate the necessity for workers' protections against huge rich corporations that have multiple top-of-the-line lawyers and tons of money at their disposal. The union also protects these workers from litigation which most of them could not possibly afford. When I talk of unions, I am NOT talking about public sector unions either.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    There is nothing in the OP article to suggest that job is not already being taken of.
    The artificial made it clear they were turned away because they were not union.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This is not the fault of the unions but the fault of the power companies and the states for signing contracts in which they cannot keep up their ends of the bargains.
    This specific action is the fault of the Union. People needed their services restored and the Union said '**** them, they can wait' because they wanted to be petty about contract language in a time of need.
    Yeah, it is the Unions fault for this specific action.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Union Thuggary at it's Finest

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The artificial made it clear they were turned away because they were not union.
    Yes, but it doesn't state that the work isn't already being taken care of. This article is clearly neglectful of details and is completely one-sided on the issue.

    This specific action is the fault of the Union. People needed their services restored and the Union said '**** them, they can wait' because they wanted to be petty about contract language in a time of need. Yeah, it is the Unions fault for this specific action.
    It would be the power companies. They are the ones who sign the contracts with the states. The unions make deals with the companies, then the companies make deals with the states they service.

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •