Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 69

Thread: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

  1. #31
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    I have read the blog and have gathered this much.

    Given the mandate for businesses to cover their employes under Obama care the proposal for having health care for veterans to be placed under businesses is cost shifting esp. since a lot of that care will be related to injuries due to military duty. The families of the veterans should be covered under the health care provided by their employers.

    The proposal to delay retirement benefits for military should be a nonstarter as long as there is substantial opposition to delay retirement benefits in Social Security from 65 to 67. Any reductions of payments to military should not be done unless we are willing to do something similar to Social Security beneficiaries like those who have other income will take a reduction in benefits. I like the idea that future military enrollees will provide their own retirement benefits by enrolling in a investment like IRA.

    The placement of troops is more in line with Geo-stratrigic policies and must be address under those.
    Since the blog did not link the report I cannot comment further.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  2. #32
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    The only moral entitlement is my entitlement.

    edit: Please die, autocorrect.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    I have read the blog and have gathered this much.

    Given the mandate for businesses to cover their employes under Obama care the proposal for having health care for veterans to be placed under businesses is cost shifting esp. since a lot of that care will be related to injuries due to military duty. The families of the veterans should be covered under the health care provided by their employers.

    The proposal to delay retirement benefits for military should be a nonstarter as long as there is substantial opposition to delay retirement benefits in Social Security from 65 to 67. Any reductions of payments to military should not be done unless we are willing to do something similar to Social Security beneficiaries like those who have other income will take a reduction in benefits. I like the idea that future military enrollees will provide their own retirement benefits by enrolling in a investment like IRA.

    The placement of troops is more in line with Geo-stratrigic policies and must be address under those.
    Since the blog did not link the report I cannot comment further.
    Many military vets, myself included, were promised free medical care for life for ourselves and our dependents. The government already reneged on this at least once and now wants to place an even greater burden on us. They are planning to cut TriCare Prime almost completely out, even though vets already pay a premium to upgrade to it. Also, already having healthcare is a bargaining chip for retired vets seeking employment, their new employer doesn't have to provide it. As to the effect of Obamacare, hopefully by Jan 30 next year it will dead and gone.

    If they want to save some money and also give an improvement to some vets, then do away with VA hospitals. Since we already have a TriCare policy, they could simply change the coverages for that TriCare policy and allow disabled veterans to seek their own medical doctors/hospitals. I don't know the numbers, but already paying for a healtcare policy and providing the hospitals should be costing them far more than just providing a better policy would, i.e. providing us a zero cost one since some of us have free care at the VA anyway.

    Trying to make the veterans pay into a retirement plan, especially considering how low their pay is, is utterly ridiculous. The majority of our military members are E-5 and below, they already are under the poverty level for actual pay and Obama and his crowd wants them to spend that little bit of pay to provide some of the costs of their own healthcare and that of their dependents and now to put in money to even get a retirement? With what? Some live in substandard housing and barely manage to feed their families on what they make now, how the hell are they ever going to cover that healthcare and retirement? Some of them already qualify for welfare and housing assistance if they wanted and WIC, what the hell, dump them off on medicaid also, just so someone who will vote liberal gets more benefits? Screw that.

    It is already absolutely shameful the way this country treats it's veterans as opposed to welfare recipients.
    Last edited by DVSentinel; 11-03-12 at 06:23 PM.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #34
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    This is no different than what large companies have done to people who worked until they retired. Some are forced into early retirement so the company can save money on what they pay out. Also pay cuts and benefit cuts for those who already retired. It's only a matter of time for the same thing to happen to the military.
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  5. #35
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Hell of a way to say, "Thank you!".
    "Health care costs are eating the Defense Department alive" - Former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #36
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    Hahahaha cut military, of course, or we could quit giving former presidents such great retirement benefits for what, serving for all of 8 years.
    While we're at it, cut Congress pay to $75,000. And cut their healthcare benefits too. And no pensions unless you work 15 years.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by helix2048 View Post
    This is no different than what large companies have done to people who worked until they retired. Some are forced into early retirement so the company can save money on what they pay out. Also pay cuts and benefit cuts for those who already retired. It's only a matter of time for the same thing to happen to the military.
    Probably, hope they budget it for enough body bags once the blood bath begins because they did cut too deeply.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Spending is how we control all aspects of the government. As much as I respect our military, they shouldn't get a blank check to operate either.

    For one thing, we don't have the money to pay for such a large military. For another, we need to stop our mentality that we are justified in our Wars Against Everything. Such things are deleterious to us as a stable, thriving nation.
    Ike said to "beware of the Military Industrial Complex". It's high time our government started to pay attention and heed the warning. For an real-time example of what could happen if we don't pay heed, look no further than Russia losing the Cold War.

    For a clear example of what could be if we continue on a course of out-of-control spending, poor infrastructure and no true manufacturing base, look no further than Greece.

    We can do better, ladies and gentlemen. Compromise is key not "all or nothing/do it our way or else" politics which is what Republicans seem to be demanding.

  9. #39
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    While we're at it, cut Congress pay to $75,000. And cut their healthcare benefits too. And no pensions unless you work 15 years.
    Alas, we are so dreaming if we think congress is gonna cut it's own benefits.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Think tank recommends big benefits cuts

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Hell of a way to say, "Thank you!".
    I don't see how anyone in the world could be shocked by such a 'finding'. Though they talk 'nice nice' about the military, the left, in general, despises the military and military members. Who else would cut pay and benefits to those that actually work and offer service to our nation in order to have more money to buy votes of those dependent on government.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •