Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

  1. #1
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    [QUTOE]The Occupy movement received vindication from unlikely source tonight, as a senior executive at the Bank of England credited it with stirring a “reformation of finance”.

    In a glowing appraisal of the movement’s achievements, Andrew Haldane, executive director of financial stability, said Occupy protesters had been “both loud and persuasive”, and had attracted public support because “they are right”.

    “Some have suggested … that Occupy’s voice has been loud but vague, long on problems, short on solutions. Others have argued that the fault-lines in the global financial system, which chasmed during the crisis, are essentially unaltered, that reform has failed,” Mr Haldane said in a speech tonight.

    “I wish to argue that both are wrong – that Occupy’s voice has been both loud and persuasive and that policymakers have listened and are acting in ways which will close those fault-lines. In fact, I want to argue that we are in the early stages of a reformation of finance, a reformation which Occupy has helped stir.”

    Speaking at an Occupy Economics event in central London, Mr Haldane said that Occupy had been “successful in its efforts to popularise the problems of the global financial system for one very simple reason: they are right.”

    [/QUOTE]

    Read more @: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

    So it looks like Occupy's movement has harnessed some slow change in England. Looks like something is actually happening. Maybe this will come to America. Maybe some new policies will change?


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    The occupy movement . RIP

  3. #3
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The occupy movement . RIP
    Naaa its still alive my friend.


  4. #4
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post

    Read more @: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

    So it looks like Occupy's movement has harnessed some slow change in England. Looks like something is actually happening. Maybe this will come to America. Maybe some new policies will change?
    I disagree with him in that policymakers are listening to the Occupy Movement.

    At the most, policymakers will agree with the Occupy Movement but won't do anything about it.

    If any policymaker did try to push forth the Occupy Movement's agendas, I think it would be because they are trying to somehow benefit themselves.

    I won't believe any policymaker, at least in the U.S., will actually be pushing forth the Occupy Movement's agenda until 10 years from now when those involved in the protests are of an age to campaign for seats in the House.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  5. #5
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,219

    Re: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The occupy movement . RIP
    He was speaking at an "Occupy" economics event.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  6. #6
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The occupy movement . RIP
    it died because the people of the USA got involved,

    The occupy movement did not originate in the USA but it was certainly contaminated and destroyed there

    that shouldnt surprise anyone in the world folks

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Naaa its still alive my friend.
    Alive like this?zombie.jpg

  8. #8
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    it died because the people of the USA got involved,

    The occupy movement did not originate in the USA but it was certainly contaminated and destroyed there

    that shouldnt surprise anyone in the world folks
    It was destroyed in part by the right wing parties in certain countries and their "friendly" media and police. This happened in the UK and Spain (where it all started).. although there seems to be a second wind in Spain now. That might spread again around the world depending on who wins the White House.
    PeteEU

  9. #9
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Alive like this?zombie.jpg
    No.
    More like this:

    OWS turns one year old:






    Oh and in recent news: Occupy Sandy: Occupy Wall Street Helps Storm Victims | The Nation
    " OWS states on its website that they are launching support pages at Recovers.org for individuals to give help or post a need. At the interoccupy.net hub, users can makefinancial donations to victims, volunteer their efforts or locate an emergency shelter.OWS has called on anyone with “experience in or tools for medical and psychological services, electrician work, plumbing, construction, financial or legal services, debris and tree removal, childcare, transportation, senior services or language skills” to sign up at one of three current sites in the Lower East Side in Manhattan, Red Hook in Brooklyn and Astoria in Queens—all of which are along the waterfront and experienced flooding."


    So are they still dead?


  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Top Bank of England director admits Occupy movement had a point

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No.
    More like this:

    OWS turns one year old:






    Oh and in recent news: Occupy Sandy: Occupy Wall Street Helps Storm Victims | The Nation
    " OWS states on its website that they are launching support pages at Recovers.org for individuals to give help or post a need. At the interoccupy.net hub, users can makefinancial donations to victims, volunteer their efforts or locate an emergency shelter.OWS has called on anyone with “experience in or tools for medical and psychological services, electrician work, plumbing, construction, financial or legal services, debris and tree removal, childcare, transportation, senior services or language skills” to sign up at one of three current sites in the Lower East Side in Manhattan, Red Hook in Brooklyn and Astoria in Queens—all of which are along the waterfront and experienced flooding."


    So are they still dead?
    Heres the real pic of these morons.

    zombie crowd.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •