Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 106

Thread: UN to be at American Polls?

  1. #51
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    Quote Originally Posted by ab9924 View Post
    Absolutely yes. Plus, maybe even more importantly, those sheeply 3rd world public opinions that the US is somehow super fair in politics will then get a bite of reality.
    Actually it shows a bit of humility on one front, and that the US is protecting its democratic traditions. You cant go and demand monitors for elections in 3rd world countries.. which the US does all the time (and Europeans), and then turn around and say "HELL no, we dont need that, we are perfect". I applaud the US for doing this, it is a positive move and shock and horror, it might actually expose a few flaws (which it has) with your election system that you might want to fix.

    I seem to remember that the UN also had issues with voting machines security and the open political leanings of the manufactures.
    PeteEU

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    And, the final nail in the coffin to this thread (from the story):

    "By agreement, OSCE member states allow election observers from other member states to observe and report on their elections. So, OSCE observers were on the ground in Georgia last month and helped assure the international community that this contentious race was conducted fairly. OSCE observers also routinely observe elections in the Balkans (where there are still plenty of American troops).

    This kind of reciprocal election monitoring-on-demand helps American national interest much, much more than having some 50 international observers on American soil undermines American interest in any meaningful way. The USA lets OSCE observers monitor and report on its elections to serve as an example to countries with a less robust history of free and fair elections. It is much easier to convince, say, Albania to permit election monitors when the standard bearer of electoral democracy does so as well."

  3. #53
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Actually this whole story is BS, and the UN is NOT monitoring the US election. I'm sure you are disappointed.

    From the UN's own presses:

    Note to Demagogues: The UN is Not Monitoring the US Election | UN Dispatch
    Yes it is the OSCE.. not the UN, but it is always the OSCE that does election monitoring for the UN.. /shrug.
    PeteEU

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    Well the more you dig in to this, the more you will find out that the reason Albanians, Georgians, and other OSCE members are in the United States for this election is to A.) learn how an election ought to be run and B.) learn how to monitor their own elections and also C.) give pretext for the USA and other OSCE members to monitor elections where that monitoring is needed (Georgia, Albania, etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Yes it is the OSCE.. not the UN, but it is always the OSCE that does election monitoring for the UN.. /shrug.

  5. #55
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Well the more you dig in to this, the more you will find out that the reason Albanians, Georgians, and other OSCE members are in the United States for this election is to A.) learn how an election ought to be run and B.) learn how to monitor their own elections and also C.) give pretext for the USA and other OSCE members to monitor elections where that monitoring is needed (Georgia, Albania, etc)
    Yea and? Never stated that it was not used for this also... in fact I did not comment on it.
    PeteEU

  6. #56
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    You Heard It Here Folks, Tigger Admitting He Has Little Use For Democracy And Even Less For Freedom!!
    That shouldn't surprise anyone.
    If you persist this admission always surfaces even by the tyrants in the corporate regime and their puppet government clowns.
    They are Macevalian fascists at heart.
    Referring to democracy and freedom as noble goals to pursue is simply part of their propaganda tool kit which they parrot out in public.

  7. #57
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    The only real manner of conflict resolution between nations comes at the business end of a weapon. I believe it's Napoleon who once referred to artillery as "The Final Arguement of Kings."


    .
    I see. So you prefer the wisdom of insecure short men.
    We all know what happened to Napolean in the end don't we?

    Please Don't tell me that you claim to be a Christian? What would little baby Jesus tell you to do?

    You seem to detest democracy and embrace violence death greed and fascist ideologies

    All small insecure men seem to hide behind this fake curtain of masculinity. Why is that?

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    I see. So you prefer the wisdom of insecure short men. We all know what happened to Napolean in the end don't we?
    I see Wisdom where Wisdom exists. It's just that simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    Please Don't tell me that you claim to be a Christian? What would little baby Jesus tell you to do?
    Nope. I wasted almost three decades on that mistake before moving past it more than a decade ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    You seem to detest democracy and embrace violence death greed and fascist ideologies.
    I detest the idea of the unworthy being granted the same value as the worthy. I embrace what really happens and works in society.

  9. #59
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Europeans prefer a weak United States, so that their own influence is relatively stronger. This is the reason Europeans love Obama.
    Oh really... it couldn't be that they rely on our military bases stationed in just about every one of their countries, for military security... or that they rely on our economy for their own stability... No.. it must be because Obama makes us weaker.. even though you have absolutely no ****ing basis for that argument...
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: UN to be at American Polls?

    Aside from the fact that I've lived half my life in Europe, what would I know?

    Europeans learn in their history books and from their grandparents about how Europe used to be the center of the world. The nations of Europe had great empires, they were influential economically, culturally, and militarily.

    Today, a large number of Europeans are envious of American success. Due to their past, they feel entitled to be the kings of the world, and they view the United States with envy and fascination because of our current position.

    Whenever America projects power in the world, Europeans don't like it. Even when it benefits them. Take Ronald Reagan, for instance. Europeans hated Reagan, even though he helped end communism and unify Germany.

    Bush was the worst. First, he was a cowboy - the least European type of man. They couldn't relate to him. Second, he flaunted America's global power and took us to war.

    Obama, on the other hand, is liked in Europe. He is understated about America's might, and he wants to draw down our military. Europeans like this.

    It makes them feel like we're all on an even playing field.

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    Oh really... it couldn't be that they rely on our military bases stationed in just about every one of their countries, for military security... or that they rely on our economy for their own stability... No.. it must be because Obama makes us weaker.. even though you have absolutely no ****ing basis for that argument...
    Last edited by Peter Grimm; 10-24-12 at 04:11 AM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •