Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Well, if it won't help in finding a job, then the government needs to kick this useless corporate involvement in education off the internet, IMHO.
    So the free exchange of information is a bad thing now and should be banned. Keep going...

  2. #32
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The number one reason for public education is to help the poor get an education.

    Free online schools can offer up an education at zero cost to these same poor individuals, but you know, lets ban that because they didn't pay some absurd fee.

    The logic is really something.
    I agree, this is dumb. The more we can automate the rote pieces of education, the cheaper, more standardized, and better it is for the society as a whole. If we can do it right, than we can see less government involvement in the sector, which is fine by me. Government should only be there for things the market can't do well on its own.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    The great plus of schemes such as Coursera, which awards no diplomas, to me, is that it removes the link between education for education's sake, and vocational training. As far as I can see Coursera isn't attempting to enter into the qualification business, but is looking at offering educational opportunities to people who are interested in a subject for the sake of the joy of learning. If they can then apply that to their daily lives, great, but that doesn't seem to be its prime objective.

    I like that.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Another advantage of this free education is that it can be used by people who might be struggling with their own real classes, and/or might help prepare them for classes they will take in the near future.

    It is simply mind-boggling that anybody can even attempt to put a negative spin on free education. Any person who would attempt to do so is being dishonest and is simply being argumentative for argument's sake.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    I almost hate to ask but did any of you even read the article?

  6. #36
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    I almost hate to ask but did any of you even read the article?
    Yes. Why?

    ...
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,355

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    According to Minnesota's Office of Higher Education, it isn't the fact that it's free and online that Minnesota finds problematic...it's the fact that the universities who offer these free courses through Coursera haven't obtained permission or paid the $1,200 application fee. Nevertheless, if free online education providers have to pay a shakedown fee to every local, state, or national government that wants to shake them down, it will be very financially difficult for them to operate.

    Seems like Minnesota needs to update its laws for the 21st century.
    Couldn't the argument be made that the classes are not being taught in Minnesota, but in the state where the server is located? Seems to me like the on line schools are merely providing transportation to their classes.

  8. #38
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Yes. Why?

    ...
    You just misrepresented a situation so horribly that it seemed reasonable to ask.

  9. #39
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    You just misrepresented a situation so horribly that it seemed reasonable to ask.
    Coursera is being banned from Minnesota because its member universities haven't paid a $1,200 shakedown fee to the state. That's right there in the article. What is YOUR interpretation?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #40
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    It should be noted that the state has since backed off, so this is no longer an issue. According to a note in the original link.

    Still worthy of debate, though.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •