Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

  1. #21
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    According to Minnesota's Office of Higher Education, it isn't the fact that it's free and online that Minnesota finds problematic...it's the fact that the universities who offer these free courses through Coursera haven't obtained permission or paid the $1,200 application fee. Nevertheless, if free online education providers have to pay a shakedown fee to every local, state, or national government that wants to shake them down, it will be very financially difficult for them to operate.

    Seems like Minnesota needs to update its laws for the 21st century.
    Seems like a good idea to me. Education involves interactions and discussions. Online education is rote learning and how many companies accept degrees from there?
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  2. #22
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Seems like a good idea to me. Education involves interactions and discussions. Online education is rote learning and how many companies accept degrees from there?
    Coursera doesn't even offer degrees; it's just a collaboration of several prestigious universities to put their classes online for free. It's essentially the same type of work that you'd be doing if you actually took the class at Stanford or Columbia or wherever. The most you can get is a "certificate of completion" for the class, which may or may not mean anything to companies, but that should be up to the individual who is taking the class.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #23
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Coursera doesn't even offer degrees; it's just a collaboration of several prestigious universities to put their classes online for free. It's essentially the same type of work that you'd be doing if you actually took the class at Stanford or Columbia or wherever. The most you can get is a "certificate of completion" for the class, which may or may not mean anything to companies, but that should be up to the individual who is taking the class.
    Well, if it won't help in finding a job, then the government needs to kick this useless corporate involvement in education off the internet, IMHO.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  4. #24
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Well, if it won't help in finding a job, then the government needs to kick this useless corporate involvement in education off the internet, IMHO.
    Why? It costs the person nothing. Learning stuff on Wikipedia probably won't get you a degree or job either...does that mean governments should ban Wikipedia?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #25
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Apparently the answer is $1200.
    I nominate this for Quote of the Day.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #26
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,345

    Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Well, if it won't help in finding a job, then the government needs to kick this useless corporate involvement in education off the internet, IMHO.
    Wow, is someone hacking your account? How can free education from a number of quite expensive universities be a bad thing? Do you only seek knowledge that helps find a job?
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  7. #27
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    According to Minnesota's Office of Higher Education, it isn't the fact that it's free and online that Minnesota finds problematic...it's the fact that the universities who offer these free courses through Coursera haven't obtained permission or paid the $1,200 application fee. Nevertheless, if free online education providers have to pay a shakedown fee to every local, state, or national government that wants to shake them down, it will be very financially difficult for them to operate.

    Seems like Minnesota needs to update its laws for the 21st century.
    thank god~!!! Hopefully they will tackle the ****s trying to deal with world hunger next

  8. #28
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Well, if it won't help in finding a job, then the government needs to kick this useless corporate involvement in education off the internet, IMHO.
    lol, do you even try to make sense?

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Wow, is someone hacking your account? How can free education from a number of quite expensive universities be a bad thing? Do you only seek knowledge that helps find a job?
    Quite! Education =/= training.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Free Online Education is Now Illegal in Minnesota

    The number one reason for public education is to help the poor get an education.

    Free online schools can offer up an education at zero cost to these same poor individuals, but you know, lets ban that because they didn't pay some absurd fee.

    The logic is really something.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •