Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Go buy nfl gear, game, etc and check the receipt.

  3. #3
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    05-18-17 @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    60

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code provides for the exemption of business leagues, chambers of commerce, real estate boards, boards of trade and professional football leagues, which are not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

    Basically the league has non profit status because they aren't publicly traded and money made is used to fund the league. Whether or not this is fair or the way it should be is up for debate and i am sure it will be.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan25 View Post
    Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code provides for the exemption of business leagues, chambers of commerce, real estate boards, boards of trade and professional football leagues, which are not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

    Basically the league has non profit status because they aren't publicly traded and money made is used to fund the league. Whether or not this is fair or the way it should be is up for debate and i am sure it will be.
    Exactly.

    Most people don't understand that "non-profit" doesn't mean "not profitable". Many non profits generate huge amounts of money.

    Now, with specific regard to the NFL, unless I'm mistaken there was a little niche cut out specifically for them and, I believe, the NHL. The 501(c)6 exemption is supposed to be for youth leagues, chambers of commerce and the like but as long as the NFL adheres to the rules.....

  5. #5
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Exactly.

    Most people don't understand that "non-profit" doesn't mean "not profitable". Many non profits generate huge amounts of money.

    Now, with specific regard to the NFL, unless I'm mistaken there was a little niche cut out specifically for them and, I believe, the NHL. The 501(c)6 exemption is supposed to be for youth leagues, chambers of commerce and the like but as long as the NFL adheres to the rules.....
    While they are (most likely) adhering strictly to the letter of the law, I'd bet that most people would not approve of them not paying taxes if they knew about it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    I'm going to assume while the league itself is a NP, the individual teams aren't.

  7. #7
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Go buy nfl gear, game, etc and check the receipt.
    I'm sure the private distributors of NFL merchandise are taxed, and we certainly DO pay sales tax on the merchandise: however, I think the point is that as a "business organization" the NFL is exempt from paying income tax........which indeed leads to this valid question of tax exempt status.......... considering it reported revenues of over $9 billion in 2008, according to the article, and it's executives are routinely payed six and seven-figure salaries.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  8. #8
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    I'm sure the private distributors of NFL merchandise are taxed, and we certainly DO pay sales tax on the merchandise: however, I think the point is that as a "business organization" the NFL is exempt from paying income tax........which indeed leads to this valid question of tax exempt status.......... considering it reported revenues of over $9 billion in 2008, according to the article, and it's executives are routinely payed six and seven-figure salaries.
    What does the organization itself really own? Team owners, coaches, players, fans all pay tax. You're gonna tax an organization for existing, according to the assets within the organization's members?

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What does the organization itself really own? Team owners, coaches, players, fans all pay tax. You're gonna tax an organization for existing, according to the assets within the organization's members?
    But they made money.......we have to get some of that away from them.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  10. #10
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What does the organization itself really own? Team owners, coaches, players, fans all pay tax. You're gonna tax an organization for existing, according to the assets within the organization's members?
    Merchandise, or at least the rights to all NFL licensed and endorsed merchandise, the broadcast rights of all NFL games and ancillary productions, the rights to use NFL teams, logos, etc. in video games? Basically they own the "NFL name"......which apparently is a multi-billion dollar industry in and of itself.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •