Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

  1. #11
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    But they made money.......we have to get some of that away from them.
    Seems like taxation on association to me. A 'life tax' for organizations? Next we'll tax the NRA based on member assets, then churches. I'm afraid this goes deeper than mere cash grabbing and into the depths of social engineering.

    Football bad, Obama phone good.

    An organization sin tax.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 10-27-12 at 01:47 PM.

  2. #12
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Seems like taxation on association to me. A 'life tax' for organizations? Next we'll tax the NRA based on member assets.
    If an organization profits from the sale of its name, merchandise, broadcasts, or service it provides/created (as in the case of video games)........I don't see how it could justify being exempt from taxation as an entity.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  3. #13
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    If an organization profits from the sale of its name, merchandise, broadcasts, or service it provides/created (as in the case of video games)........I don't see how it could justify being exempt from taxation as an entity.
    The NFL authorizes, but doesn't own. It's an organization of members with assets. Member's assets are taxed. The physical organization itself is taxed. You want to add an additional layer of taxation based merely on association. It's like taxing any other association based on member assets.

    There's one other angle, taxing intellectual property rights.



    But taxing based on "there's some money!" is ludicrous and does not constitute an argument.

  4. #14
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    The NFL gets by on this by applying the letter of the tax law. So, there's nothing illegal about what they're doing, obviously. But, what is the purpose of having a tax-exempt status, and does the NFL fit that intent? If not, then maybe the law should be tightened up a bit so that the NFL no longer qualifies. Of course, the NFL is such big business with such big influence in Congress that that is very unlikely to happen.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #15
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    This isn't along the lines of the OP, but it shows how an NFL team can get a new stadium without paying for it. When I lived in Cincinnati, there was a big stink about the city getting stuck with the bill for the Paul Brown stadium. This bill got passed on to the tax payers. This is a perfect example of a team threatening to leave a city if the city doesn't pay for their new stadium.

    The county says the final cost was $454 million. The team's estimate, which doesn't include infrastructure work around the stadium, puts the tab at $350 million.

    But according to research by Judith Grant Long, a Harvard University professor who studies stadium finance, the cost to the public was closer to $555 million once other expenditures, such as special elevated parking structures, are factored in. No other NFL stadium had ever received that much public financing.
    A Stadium's Costly Legacy Throws Taxpayers for a Loss


    As far as the NFL goes, they should not be allowed to be tax exempt. A GOP senator seems to agree with that idea too:

    GOP Senator Slams Pro Sports Leagues For Using Non-Profit Status To Avoid Paying Taxes
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  6. #16
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,809

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Go buy nfl gear, game, etc and check the receipt.
    No, that is a local tax levied on the purchaser, not the NFL. Really?
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  7. #17
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    WHy arent Religions taxed?

  8. #18
    Educator Klown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-14-12 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    982

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post

    But taxing based on "there's some money!" is ludicrous and does not constitute an argument.
    But profiting based on "there's some money!" is ludicrous and does not constitute an argument.


    (I bet ecofarm morally panics into a sweat of hypocrisy over this simple artefact of the Principle of Universality)

  9. #19
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Slippery slope.

    High Schools sell merchandise for profit all the time for team funding.
    Little leagues do the same thing.
    Pee wee football, t-ball etc are almost all funded by selling various things: tickets to games, bakesales etc etc.

    Oh, dont forget the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.

    We open that door and we will have a harder time shutting it, imo.

  10. #20
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,809

    Re: Why Isnít the NFL Taxed?

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Slippery slope.

    High Schools sell merchandise for profit all the time for team funding.
    Little leagues do the same thing.
    Pee wee football, t-ball etc are almost all funded by selling various things: tickets to games, bakesales etc etc.

    Oh, dont forget the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.

    We open that door and we will have a harder time shutting it, imo.
    That would be a closet door for the Boy Scouts....
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •