Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

  1. #11
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Yes that part is exactly what i am saying

    Justice or lack of it is heavily influenced by the amount of money a person has to spend.
    I couldn't disagree more. I think it has a lot more to do with political connections and the type of crime. Koch might be able to get away with an open white collar crime, like the banking cartel did in 2008, but nobody, no matter how rich, gets a pass for things like kidnapping.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. I think it has a lot more to do with political connections and the type of crime. Koch might be able to get away with an open white collar crime, like the banking cartel did in 2008, but nobody, no matter how rich, gets a pass for things like kidnapping.

    They certainly can

    Buy the best lawyers, overwhelm the DA with motions purchase your own forensic specialists, if helpful psychologist to diagnose the victim, spend money for PI`s to look into the past of the accuser, and chances are greater for a wealthy person to get off then a person of more limited meana
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  3. #13
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    They certainly can

    Buy the best lawyers, overwhelm the DA with motions purchase your own forensic specialists, if helpful psychologist to diagnose the victim, spend money for PI`s to look into the past of the accuser, and chances are greater for a wealthy person to get off then a person of more limited mean[s]
    That sounds like an empirical claim. Do you have some evidence to support your assessment of those chances?

  4. #14
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Does Wealth Really Equal Privilege in the Criminal Justice System? - Blog
    https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/(S(m...ookieSupport=1
    How the justice system in America favors the wealthy and powerful - by Helium01 - Helium


    Are a few links¸
    ¸
    Now lets consider the quality of defense.

    If you were accused of a crime who do you want defending you, an overworked public defender with no budget for outside support, or a bunch of lawyers with a million dollar plus bugdet (supplied by you) dedending you.

    Which group most often pleads out, the one with the public defender or private lawyers costing $400 or more per hour


    Or more to the point

    There is a reason those that can afford it buy the best lawyers and defense possible, otherwise everyone would rely on the Public Defender for their legal needs. To my knowledge, only those with no means rely on PD`s. I am sure Turtledude would have more oto say on wealth and how it affects legal results
    Last edited by Lord Tammerlain; 10-13-12 at 08:59 PM.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #15
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Does Wealth Really Equal Privilege in the Criminal Justice System? - Blog
    https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/(S(m...ookieSupport=1
    How the justice system in America favors the wealthy and powerful - by Helium01 - Helium


    Are a few links¸
    ¸
    Now lets consider the quality of defense.

    If you were accused of a crime who do you want defending you, an overworked public defender with no budget for outside support, or a bunch of lawyers with a million dollar plus bugdet (supplied by you) dedending you.

    Which group most often pleads out, the one with the public defender or private lawyers costing $400 or more per hour


    Or more to the point

    There is a reason those that can afford it buy the best lawyers and defense possible, otherwise everyone would rely on the Public Defender for their legal needs. To my knowledge, only those with no means rely on PD`s. I am sure Turtledude would have more oto say on wealth and how it affects legal results
    Those links aren't evidence, they are unsourced, anecdotal opinion pieces and they do not even support your claim that there are greater for a wealthy person to get off then a person of more limited means.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Those links aren't evidence, they are unsourced, anecdotal opinion pieces and they do not even support your claim that there are greater for a wealthy person to get off then a person of more limited means.
    Oh my mistake

    I am sure people will spend tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands on their legal defense instead of relying on public defenders, just because it feels good, not because good top lawyers are effective
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    So you admit you don't know the facts, but you have no problem impugning our criminal justice system and asserting that they will cynically neglect to prosecute Koch because he is rich.
    I have no problem saying the rich get a different kind of justice than the poor.

    Theres a reason white ri h kids get probation for the same crime that puts a poor kid behind bars for years.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #18
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Theres a reason white ri h kids get probation for the same crime that puts a poor kid behind bars for years.
    That has a lot more to do with systemic racism than a wealth disparity.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    That has a lot more to do with systemic racism than a wealth disparity.
    Forgot to put poor white kids.

    Money buys better outcomes.

    I'm sure outright corruption plays a role as well.

    If things got hot for Koch he'd just run to a non extradition country and run his empire from there.

    From a villa on the beach.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #20
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: William Koch, Billionaire Koch Brother, Accused Of Imprisoning Executive

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Forgot to put poor white kids.

    Money buys better outcomes.

    I'm sure outright corruption plays a role as well.

    If things got hot for Koch he'd just run to a non extradition country and run his empire from there.

    From a villa on the beach.
    These are very severe accusations to blithely make against our criminal justice system with no evidence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •