Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75

Thread: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

  1. #31
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,656

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    I disagree with the sentiment expressed on the shirt but I find it interesting that this generates outrage but thousands upon thousands of people voting for Obama just because he's black....not so much.

  2. #32
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That really isn't what I said. But now that you mention it, how do people sort out truth from fiction? When I first saw that photo, I thought, "Oh, well, a jerk at a Romney rally, big deal." Then I thought, "I wonder if it was even a Romney supporter? I don't care either way because whether it was or whether it wasn't doesn't make any difference to me. He's one guy.

    But if you believe photographs you see on the internet . . . if you believe newsreels you see of events . . . without question, you're not thinking, in my opinion. We can soooo easily be manipulated by the media as to make it scarey. We've all seen the altered videos of Bush and others making speeches they never made. Photoshopped pictures that lie.

    I remember seeing a documentary about media manipulation some time ago. One of the methods that impressed me was how they can manipulate a crowd scene to give the impression there are hundreds of demonstrators when there are only a few dozen. All with camera angles and close-cropped shots. I mean I saw it with my own eyes. It was, pardon the pun, eye-opening. Ha!

    I'm pretty skeptical -- especially when it comes to politics. I don't think of it as a failing, I think of it as a strength. I don't believe any of 'em.
    I understand what you are saying, but what about Obama phone? What are your thoughts on that then? What about the claim that Obama is the food stamp president?
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    If he's a white supremacist, it doesn't really matter if he goes by Billy Bob, Cooter or Jimmy Ray. Stormfront denizens will surely be able to help you with some of that t-shirt research, tho.

    Now, if he was paid to put on that t-shirt and go strut his stuff at Romney rallies that's a whole other debate on a whole other brand of repulsive ideas. At this point, I'm taking it at face value and choose to focus on condemning the racist message.
    I'm not taking this at face-value; I'm too skeptical about potential "dirty tricks." I'm continuing to Google but haven't found any info yet under "manufacturer" or "maker" or anything else. Assume as you please that a Stormfronter mentality is behind this. And maybe it is.

    But maybe it's not. Who took the pic? Did anybody talk to the t-shirt wearer? Have any of those attending the rally weighed in yet? Was there more than one person wearing the shirt? I'm going to wait on more facts.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    Quote Originally Posted by WcBeasley View Post
    The thing about attempting to shame people like that is that if it were POSSIBLE to shame them then they wouldn't wear something like that to BEGIN with. IF a person wants to be a rascist that is their right...as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone elses rights. What we CAN do is those of us who have our own business is refuse to allow them to patronize our business and if you DON'T own a business then boycott THEIR business or place of employment. Short of that there isn't much we can LEGALLY do. Which is a shame.
    Racism is not illegal, nor do I think it should be, so I'm not too bothered by the fact nothing can legally be done. I do agree with your boycott and barring suggestions, as that is one way to publicly condemn and shame the ideology and its supporters. It may not be possible to change their minds about race, but that shouldn't deter anyone from speaking out against what these people stand for.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  5. #35
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but what about Obama phone? What are your thoughts on that then? What about the claim that Obama is the food stamp president?
    The Obamaphone? I assume you're talking about that lady they interviewed saying Obama gave everyone a phone? Well -- -- I don't much like the program, but it isn't Obama's program. It was passed by Congress 15 years ago or more. And it's income targeted, not race targeted. That, to me, simply gave the impression that the lady was an idiot, frankly.

    Calling Obama the food stamp president is just one of those campaign sound bytes that makes one stop and think -- but then, in my opinion, some people might actually want to thank him. I personally didn't like that the program was advertising for "noncustomers," but no one can deny that people were/are in need. The fact that food stamp usage went up by a huge percentage under his presidency is what leads to that call, of course. But the discerning person needs to ask: "Why?"

    I hope that answers your question.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #36
    User WcBeasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    11-21-12 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    84

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Racism is not illegal, nor do I think it should be, so I'm not too bothered by the fact nothing can legally be done. I do agree with your boycott and barring suggestions, as that is one way to publicly condemn and shame the ideology and its supporters. It may not be possible to change their minds about race, but that shouldn't deter anyone from speaking out against what these people stand for.
    While I abhor rascism and bigotry, I agree I don't think it should be legislated. By doing THAT where would it stop? Boycotts, Barring INDIVIDUALS from an establishment (which IS legal) and events and snubbing known rascists untill their mindset changes is the only way to stop hatred.
    “The story so far:
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” .
    Douglas Adams

  7. #37
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm not taking this at face-value; I'm too skeptical about potential "dirty tricks." I'm continuing to Google but haven't found any info yet under "manufacturer" or "maker" or anything else. Assume as you please that a Stormfronter mentality is behind this. And maybe it is.

    But maybe it's not. Who took the pic? Did anybody talk to the t-shirt wearer? Have any of those attending the rally weighed in yet? Was there more than one person wearing the shirt? I'm going to wait on more facts.
    There are many places online where you can buy t-shirts with a customized slogan on it. You can have them print anything you want on it. Maybe this guy was inspired by this other guy:

    Palmer Sign Sparks Controversy - Western Massachusetts Breaking News and First Warning Weather with WGGB.com ABC 40

    SIGN-300x225.jpg
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  8. #38
    User WcBeasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Last Seen
    11-21-12 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    84

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I disagree with the sentiment expressed on the shirt but I find it interesting that this generates outrage but thousands upon thousands of people voting for Obama just because he's black....not so much.
    So we shouldn't be outraged? It should bother ALL people regardless of their political standing or party. It's called Human decency, respect for our fellow Human beings. Rascism is WRONG no matter who it's directed at.
    “The story so far:
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” .
    Douglas Adams

  9. #39
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The Obamaphone? I assume you're talking about that lady they interviewed saying Obama gave everyone a phone? Well -- -- I don't much like the program, but it isn't Obama's program. It was passed by Congress 15 years ago or more. And it's income targeted, not race targeted. That, to me, simply gave the impression that the lady was an idiot, frankly.

    Calling Obama the food stamp president is just one of those campaign sound bytes that makes one stop and think -- but then, in my opinion, some people might actually want to thank him. I personally didn't like that the program was advertising for "noncustomers," but no one can deny that people were/are in need. The fact that food stamp usage went up by a huge percentage under his presidency is what leads to that call, of course. But the discerning person needs to ask: "Why?"

    I hope that answers your question.
    Well played. The food stamp usage has indeed gone up however much of the reason for it happened months before Obama took office. I would like the issue of entitlements and military to be sternly addressed in Obamas second term. With entitlements while the vast majority truly need the system and most use it for short term I personally know many that game the system and with that I understand conservatives complaints. There are twins at my work live in the same house as their mother and father each make a bit less than me at $13 an hour and their father works first shift making $13 as well. Their mother is a waitress. In total the household probably makes around $100k before taxes. They only use her mothers income to get government help. I have personally seen these abuses at least a dozen times. That kind of stuff needs to stop because it gives the GOP a reason to hurt those that need it.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  10. #40
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    re: Romney Supporter Wears 'Put The White Back In The White House' T-Shirt At Ohio Campai

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    There are many places online where you can buy t-shirts with a customized slogan on it. You can have them print anything you want on it. Maybe this guy was inspired by this other guy:

    Palmer Sign Sparks Controversy - Western Massachusetts Breaking News and First Warning Weather with WGGB.com ABC 40

    SIGN-300x225.jpg
    I smell conspiracy.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •