Page 79 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 894

Thread: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

  1. #781
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    As has been pointed out from the beginning that apparently started this entire thing and I will say again, she is responsible for the act of killing herself. She is responsible for her suicide. No one else pulled the trigger and no one else chose the action. That was all on her. She was unstable, probably very mentally ill, and it was only made worse by the things done to her. That is it. CC wants to say that she isn't to blame for it though is responsible for it, but if you ask me that is just really missing the point of what responsibility means. It basically taking the first part and not really wanting to notice the second part, but whatever, it's really not that important.

    Anyway, like it or not anxiety doesn't really lift responsibility of the decision or the action away from her. Though I understand why people might think such a thing.
    you dont have to have such a disorder to see what kind of results it can lead..anybody may want to kill himself...
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  2. #782
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Medusa... Anda's right. Read my post explaining the difference between blame and responsibility. Caine was placing responsibility on her... which is accurate.... not blame, which would not be.
    ok i will read
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  3. #783
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I'm not sure that's really an issue, as such (or at least not an issue that's particularly relevant to either of the points that I've made). Yes, obviously, parental involvement is a good thing. Avoiding peer pressure is a good thing. Those are relevant concerns, but have very little bearing on the degree to which bullies and a cyberstalker had a direct impact on this girl's mental health.

    The "not putting yourself online" thing is also a valid interest, and is something that every young person (especially girls) should be aware of. I actually forgot to bring this up, but it's an interesting topic. I've seen some back-and-forth on this thread along the lines of "she brought this on herself by flashing random dudes." Yeah, maybe. But young people have very little awareness of the consequences of their actions. You can tell a 13 year old girl over and over again that if she flashes someone, it's going to be on the internet forever, but she's going to be thinking to herself "yeah, that happens to people, of course I get that MOM, but in this particular situation, it'll be fine." Analogously, we all had to watch horrific images of gruesome accidents during drivers ed. That doesn't stop thousands of young men from racing each other in their dad's cars every Saturday night. Everyone involved in such a thing is thinking (to the extent they're thinking at all) "yeah, I know that driving like a crazy person could potentially kill me, but it's not going to happen tonight." Teenagers are stupid, and even when they believe they're being careful, they're probably overlooking things that would be obvious to an adult. That's exactly the position this girl was in.
    So - no mental help support for someone who obviously suffered from issues? I think it would have been better if it was all avoided before it even started with early intervention for an obviously troubled teen.

    If people have problems they need help - whether they're being bullied or not. I think that would be a far bigger benefit.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #784
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    As has been pointed out from the beginning that apparently started this entire thing and I will say again, she is responsible for the act of killing herself. She is responsible for her suicide. No one else pulled the trigger and no one else chose the action. That was all on her. She was unstable, probably very mentally ill, and it was only made worse by the things done to her. That is it. CC wants to say that she isn't to blame for it though is responsible for it, but if you ask me that is just really missing the point of what responsibility means. It basically taking the first part and not really wanting to notice the second part, but whatever, it's really not that important.

    Anyway, like it or not anxiety doesn't really lift responsibility of the decision or the action away from her. Though I understand why people might think such a thing.
    There's a difference between blame and responsibility. Blame evokes a sense of totality, that all aspects were her fault. They were not. The final act of the situation was her responsibility, but there were aspects of what lead to the end result and what was happening internally that were not under her control, and therefore not her responsibility.

    As far as anxiety lifting the responsibility, these are two separate issues. Feelings are not a behavior. She is not responsible for her feelings, but she is responsible for how she responds to them.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #785
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    So - no mental help support for someone who obviously suffered from issues? I think it would have been better if it was all avoided before it even started with early intervention for an obviously troubled teen.

    If people have problems they need help - whether they're being bullied or not. I think that would be a far bigger benefit.
    This probably would have helped.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #786
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by BayToBay View Post
    I don't feel any need or moral authority to condemn her. Whatever she did, she did to herself.
    Nor I.

    He (or whoever did this) hurt others and that elicits quite a different response. Legally, I can't see how he could be charged with her murder. Anyone who cares too can condemn him morally as a murderer or worse.
    Anyone can condemn anyone morally for anything they want.

    The fact remains that the girl killed herself. No one did it to her.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  7. #787
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    you dont have to have such a disorder to see what kind of results it can lead..anybody may want to kill himself...
    I understand that Medusa.

  8. #788
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I understand that Medusa.
    i understand too...
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  9. #789
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    , never said you called him slut..but admit..your comments are not so different from jerry'S posts..
    They are alot different from Jerry's posts.

    If you can't see that, fine. Don't come at me with the use of terms like "slut" in an attempt to attach them to ME and my way of discussing this incident.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #790
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    They are alot different from Jerry's posts.

    If you can't see that, fine. Don't come at me with the use of terms like "slut" in an attempt to attach them to ME and my way of discussing this incident.
    i never said it..
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

Page 79 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •