Page 20 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 894

Thread: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

  1. #191
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,764

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I think the difference now is that with social media, etc., it's so much more prevalent. Used to be we could go home and forget about it. Now it's on facebook, getting text messages. That's just technological, yes, but sometimes newer technology requires more.
    Hmm. Maybe Facebook needs to grow some corporate social responsibility towards those it professes to care about, its customers, and have a link to report such matters and actually ACT on them. The reason this was able to follow this poor girl from city to city is because facebook was their medium to conduct a bullying campaign against her.

    Im not saying legislate it, but I am saying Facebook could definitely do more to curtail such activity.

  2. #192
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Hmm. Maybe Facebook needs to grow some corporate social responsibility towards those it professes to care about, its customers, and have a link to report such matters and actually ACT on them. The reason this was able to follow this poor girl from city to city is because facebook was their medium to conduct a bullying campaign against her.

    Im not saying legislate it, but I am saying Facebook could definitely do more to curtail such activity.
    They have ways to flag posts and file complaints on FB. Personally, I would have just deactivated my account.

  3. #193
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Hmm. Maybe Facebook needs to grow some corporate social responsibility towards those it professes to care about, its customers, and have a link to report such matters and actually ACT on them. The reason this was able to follow this poor girl from city to city is because facebook was their medium to conduct a bullying campaign against her.

    Im not saying legislate it, but I am saying Facebook could definitely do more to curtail such activity.
    That's a good point, except that expecting a corporation to "care" about anything but the bottom line is chasing after rainbows.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #194
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That's a good point, except that expecting a corporation to "care" about anything but the bottom line is chasing after rainbows.
    I agree, their primary duty will always be to that bottom line. That's why government has the power of law and regulation.

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Must be that time of season. I've heard of 3 suicides in the space of a week. Sorry but I have no sympathy for those that commit suicide. Particularly because of bullying. Medical conditions, fine. But bullying? Give me a break. I was bullied constantly in school. Being the smallest in class and always moving around (reticent because of it) tends to do that to a boy. I was constantly getting into fights, at least once a week. Guess what? I'm still here and have never had any psychological issues because of it.

    Personally I blame it on societies current view, and mantra, of "everyone is a winner". Kids need to learn about failure and disappointment. That is probably why I survived. My parents never pulled that crap with me. I either succeeded or failed. There was no hedging or hawing about it.
    Why does everyone feel the need to place blame somewhere? IMO, this was an unfortunate tragedy that could have been avoided, but is NOT necessarily anyone in particular's fault! An unfortunate chain of events led to this girl doing what she did. Bad decision-making surely played a role, but laying blame on anyone in this situation IMO is unwarranted.

    The girl took her life, not to hurt anyone else but to end her own pain (bad decision). The bullies who picked on her (no matter what cruel things they said), I am sure it was not THEIR goal for her to actually die. Her parents and the school and teachers missing signs or not paying close enough attention, human fallibility.

  6. #196
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,764

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    That's a good point, except that expecting a corporation to "care" about anything but the bottom line is chasing after rainbows.
    Got news for you, more and more of these things are occurring and Facebook isnt doing much of anything. Eventually, they are going to recieve a fat lawsuit for acting as the medium in which people conduct these bullying campaigns and there will be mountains of evidence that its happened over and over. Their bottom line is going to dictate they get a handle on this sooner (before a lawsuit) or later (after one).

    CSR isnt just about doing whats right, its also about doing things that promote the company image. This sure isnt the image Facebook wants to project to the world. They need to work at changing it.

  7. #197
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why does everyone feel the need to place blame somewhere? IMO, this was an unfortunate tragedy that could have been avoided, but is NOT necessarily anyone in particular's fault! An unfortunate chain of events led to this girl doing what she did. Bad decision-making surely played a role, but laying blame on anyone in this situation IMO is unwarranted.

    The girl took her life, not to hurt anyone else but to end her own pain (bad decision). The bullies who picked on her (no matter what cruel things they said), I am sure it was not THEIR goal for her to actually die. Her parents and the school and teachers missing signs or not paying close enough attention, human fallibility.
    This is double sided here. On one hand you're trying to tell me that its no one in particulars fault and then on the other hand you're singling out parents, school and teachers. In my eye's all that you're doing is shifting the blame. It is after all, far easier to place blame than to accept it.

    In anycase I disagree with you. Society plays a large role in how people act and behave. If society accepts a certain type of action then that action will prevail more than actions that are looked down upon. People are overall sheeple. Even those that claim to not follow any "code" still end up following some ideal or another that some other group promotes. I would argue that there isn't even any more originality to humans anymore. But that would have to go in its own thread.

    Anyways hope this makes sense. I've been up for 31 1/2 hours....need sleep....
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #198
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I think the difference now is that with social media, etc., it's so much more prevalent. Used to be we could go home and forget about it. Now it's on facebook, getting text messages. That's just technological, yes, but sometimes newer technology requires more.
    I basically agree, but still think that the "everyone's a winner" has played its part also.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #199
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I basically agree, but still think that the "everyone's a winner" has played its part also.
    We haven't figured out yet how to lose without being a loser. My son's baseball coach always said there's no shame in striking out if you go down swinging.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: The bullies win again[W710; 739]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    As DA60 pointed out, First Amendment freedoms do not extend to slander or blackmail. Nor does it extend to shouting "fire" in a theater. Similarly, the Second Amendment doesn't extend to the right to shoot somebody.
    And your prove of this is where in the first amendment? Please show how can they pass a law against it when they can't pass a law against it?

    In other words, your rights extend as far as they don't harm somebody. I'm not sure of the difference between "I'm going to kill you," and "You should kill yourself" other than who does the killing.
    Both are fine according to the first amendment and how speech actually works to begin with. Your argument basically says that if I hurt your feelings I'm a bad man and should be thrown in jail. Real free society you got there and really I want no part of it.

Page 20 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •