Not the worst concession, but automatic pay increases don't really sit well with me on principle.-A 3% pay increase the first year, with a 2% increase every year thereafter
Completely disagree with this. Why the hell shouldn't your pay be based on your performance. If you have two teachers, one of whom comes in early, tutors their students, and works avidly to help them learn and one of whom who puts in no extra time and offers no extra help, the first should earn more than the second, regardless of tenure.-Phasing out performance-related pay, or “merit pay”
No problem with this. Studies indicate that emphasis on these areas can promote better performance in students.-Hiring 600 teachers in the areas of art, music, world languages, etc.
I'm surprised this wasn't already happening. Most districts here already offer $300 for every educator who isn't considered "auxiliary".-Up to $250 reimbursement of school supplies
What?! Who determines which 30%? Why do the other 70% not count? This is asinine and blatantly counterproductive.-Only 30% of student test scores will be factored into teacher evaluations
In theory this sounds reasonable, but if teachers are laid off based on performance/results, why should under performing teachers be given priority.-Laid-off teachers receive hiring-priority for charter school position openings
Lastly, it doesn't really seem to me like much of that list has anything at all to do with making education better for the students. The additional arts teachers, sure. Maybe the supplies...but the rest of it seems like a means of sweeping struggling children under the rug and blatantly ignoring lackluster educators that negatively impact student success.